Toni . . . I just made a shocking discovery:The mother of John Cornelius Schuck and Elizabeth M. Schuck was NOT Elizabeth Friedericka Sheese/Shiess, but a woman named Maria / Mary E.Here's what I just found in the PA censuses:
1. 1860, and Joseph is in Zerbe, Northumberland, age 29, with wife Mary E 25 (4 years younger), and son Joseph, age 1. Shown as Joseph Shuck.
2. 10 years later, 1870, and he's in Trevorton, Northumberland, age 40, with wife Maria 36 (4 years younger), and kids Joseph 12, John 10, Eliz 4, Peter 2, and Anna 2/12.Shown as Jas. Schuck.
3. 10 years later, 1880, he's back in Zerbe, age 50, but now with wife Elizabeth 41 (9 years younger), and kids John 20, Lizzie 14, Thomas 14, Peter 12, Annie 10, Andrew 7, Frank 5, and Jacob 3. Shown as Joseph Schuck.
4. 20 years later, 1900, age 68, still inZerbe, Elizabeth is 59; and it says they've been married 28 years. Shown as Joseph Shuch.
1. Joseph and Elizabeth got married in 1872; therefore, Elizabeth is not the mother of Joseph, John, Elizabeth, Peter, or Anna from the 1870 census showing Maria as his wife.
2. Elizabeth IS the mother of Andrew (born 1873), Frank (1875), and Jacob (1877).
3. I suspect the Thomas shown in 1880 was the son of Elizabeth by her previous marriage, because he was not shown in the 1870 children of Joseph, when Thomas would have been 4 (same age as Elizabeth/Lizzie).
4. Joseph most likely did not have a 3nd wife named Margaretha Kurtz following Elizabeth's death.They were still together in 1900 when he was 68; and he died 6 years later.He would have been 69 or 70 for this 3rd marriage.
So Elizabeth Friedericka Schiess/Sheese is Elizabeth M. and John Cornelius Schuck's stepmother, not their birth mother, and not our greatgrandmother.Our greatgrandmother is the mysterious Mary E. / Maria.