Glad to hear that you have the article from Rothert's History of Muhlenberg County.How may I contact Mr. Gabriel Severs?It seems his information is very similar to Mr. Jim Hart's, whom I knew several years back.
Frederick Severs wife, according to documented evidence that I have, was named Catherine (Caterina) Rhoads.I have copies of a new Rhoads family book out that shows how Frederick and his wife went into Bedford Co., PA Court and claimed her portion of her father, Henry Rhoads Sr.'s estate.It does seem that Sever's name was originally Shaeffer, or something similar.
My listing of Frederick's children is as follows:
1) Jacob Severs (ca 1770/75 PA-1830/32 Pike Co., IL) md (1) unk. (2) Cynthia Barnett in 1815 in Warrick Co., IN.He lived in Bedford Co., PA, then Muhlenberg Co., KY, then Warrick and Posey Cos., IN, then Montezuma Twp., Pike Co., IL, where his 2nd wife remarried William McPherson in 1832. He was a member of Hazel Creek Baptist Church, along with Hannah & Eva Severs, likely part of his first family.He had several sons in IL & Iowa.
2)John Severs (b ca 1770/75 PA-d aft 1841, last known residence: Muhl. Co., KY)He married (1) Anna JeCove in 1801 in Muhl.He married (2) Catherine (Groves) Gates in 1836 in Muhl.I have deeds showing that both of these ladies were wives of the same man.
3) Elizabeth Severs (b ca 1772/76 PA-d 1857 Muhl. Co., KY) married Henry Row(e), probably in Maryland in 1790's.He came to Muhlenberg, where he left a will in 1827.This is my ancestor.
4) Susannah Severs, married before 1804.
5) Joseph Severs (b ca 1781 PA-d 1807 Muhl.)
He was a bachelor.In 1822, when his land was finally divided, the deed gives us a listing of his known siblings.
6) Solomon Severs (1781 PA-1856 Boonville, Warrick Co., IN [I have the complete dates, but I didn't have chance to pull them out of my files]).He married Mary Esom in Hopkins Co., KY (apparently enroute to IN) in 1813.She had a sister named Barbry (Barbara) Esom who married into my Vincent family from Muhl.She married Charles Vincent in Warrick Co., IN in 1819.Their families would intermarry over the years.Solomon died leaving a Will.
7) Michael Severs (b ca 1784 PA-ca 1845 Muhl.) He was aged 14-20 at his father's death, as he could CHOOSE his own guardian. He married (1) Betsy Donivan in 1809 Muhl.He married (2) Louisa Unsell?Did his daughter Nancy, name her mother's maiden name in her Death Certificate in IL?
8) Gabriel Severs, under 14 years of age at his father's death in 1804, he had to be APPOINTED a guardian, and could not CHOOSE one.He may be identical with Gabriel Severs, early pioneer of Randolph Co., AR (1790-1821).
9) Julianna (aka Emlyanna) Severs, under 14 years of age at her father's death in 1804. She married Jacob Wigle, a native of Pennsylvania, and they were in Missouri by 1808/09.They settled near Jonesboro, Union Co., IL, where members of the Rhoads family also went.Jacob died leaving a will there, and Julianna died ca 1840-50.
I tend to think that Caterina Rhoads was the mother of ALL the children, because of the Court documents in Bedford Co., PA, and the naming pattern given to their children, ex:
Her brother-in-law's first name was Michael, Jacob, John, Gabriel, and Solomon were named after her Rhoads brothers, etc.
Nathan W. Murphy