LAWRENCE J. CRAWFORD, a well known building contractor of Van Buren, Hancock County, O., and the owner of 160 acres of farm land in Allen Township, has been engaged in the contracting business since seventeen years of age.He was born September 9, 1858, on a farm in Eagle Township and is a son of GEORGE W. and ELIZA (SMITH) CRAWFORD.His parents were both natives of Pennsylvania, who, after their marriage located in Richland County, O.The maternal grandfather was a man of prominence and wealth and spent his entire life in Pennsylvania.He gave a farm to each of his children, and upon the parents of our subject locating in Hancock County, gave them a tract of eighty acres in Eagle Township.This they sold in 1869 and purchased a tract of eighty acres in Allen Township about one mile west of Mortimer.MRS. CRAWFORD died in 1865, while the family still lived in Eagle Township, and in 1870, MR. CRAWFORD married PARMELIA SIPES.In 1879 MR. CRAWFORD removed from the farm to Mortimer, O., where he died December 19, 1907.
LAWRENCE J. CRAWFORD obtained his educational training in the district schools of Eagle and Allen Townships, and early in life began learning the carpenter’s trade with GEORGE MELLOTT, in whose employ he continued four years.In 1876 he established a business for himself, and has been engaged continuously and successfully in general contracting since that time.He has erected many of the barns, residences and public buildings of Allen and surrounding township, and also built many of the finest buildings of Van Buren, O.Some of the buildings erected by MR. CRAWFORD are:the Presbyterian church of Liberty Township, the Hagerty School of Liberty Township, the school of District No. 9 of Allen Township, and others too numerous to mention.MR. CRAWFORD also retains and interest in the old home farm in Allen Township, and in 1886 bought eighty acres of land two miles west of Van Buren, and ten years later bought an adjoining eighty acres.
MR. CRAWFORD served one term as township trustee of Allen Township, and was a candidate for county commissioner on the Democratic ticket in the fall of 1907, but was defeated.He is a member and elder of the Presbyterian church, of which he is clerk of the session.
MR. CRAWFORD was married to ANNA KUHLEMEIER, who was born in Toledo, O., and is a daughter of FREDERICK and MATILDA KUHLEMEIER, both natives of Denmark.Six children have been born to MR. and MRS. CRAWFORD:HOWARD, who is taking a course in music at the University of Wooster; HAROLD D.; L. EVERETT; DONALD, and two who died in infancy.
Source:History of Hancock County; page 479 and 480 *Lawrence J. Crawford was a younger brother of my great grandfather, John Smith Crawford.