From History of Hamilton County, Ohio.
In 1792, Mr. Henry Tucker, who had come from New Jersey to Columbia the same year with his relative, John Tucker; Henry Weaver, who came to the same place from New York, two years before; Luke and Zebulon Foster, Jonathan Pittman and James McCasken, formed a company to push up the valley of Mill creek, establish a station and improve, a farm. They found a suitable tract on what is now section four (T 3, entire range 1) of (Springfild) township, on the west branch of Mill creek, a little below Glendale, half a mile north of the site of the well-known tavern, afterwards kept by Mr. Pittman, and about as far east of the tracks of the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railroad. The site known as Foster's hill transmits the memory of their occupation here. It was then on the military trace cut through between Forts Washington and Hamilton. East of this, and at a point about a mile and a half northwest of the present Lochland, the party began the erection of a block-house. Mr. Olden says: "The old station-house stood on the east side of the road, immediately opposite the late residence of Manning Tucker, now owned by Mr. Horace Bugher." Cabins were also commenced; but the settlement, although unmolested by the Indians, was presently disturbed by a dissension between Henry Tucker and Luke Foster, the former alleging that Foster, in making the lines of his own division (for the settlers were not to hold in common), had encroached upon the site Tucker had selected for his home. The trouble was seroius, and the complainant, unable to obtain satisfaction, seceded from the colony and returned to Columbia. During the winter of 1793/4, however, the difficulty was composed, Luke Foster accepting an offer of ten acres in the southwest corner of the section, and Zebulon Foster five acres next north of it, as compensation for their improvements made on section four. This was now divided again between the two Tuckers and Pittman, while the Fosters, with Weaver and McCashen, and two new men named James Seaward and Ziba Wingent, agreed to settle on sections nine and ten, next on the west and southwest. Under this arrangement Henry Tucker, with the rest, who had also returned to Columbia on the advice of Capt. Wella, an experienced Indian fighter, to await the advent of Wayne's army, went out again in the spring of 1794 and recommenced their improvement. Henry Tucker's son, the Manning R(andolph) Tucker mentioned above, resided long after upon the tract, and the place continued to be known as Tucker's station. But the new station-house, made necessary by the division of the original party into the settlements, thus calling for a location central and convenient to both, was called Pleasant Valley Station.
Luke Foster, one of the Columbia pioneers and a lieutenant under appointment of Governor St. Clair, was the patriot was made the offer of a hundred bushels of corn to relieve the garrison at Fort Washington in 1789, as it is related elsewhere. He remained with the Pleasant Valley settlement; also became an associate judge of the court of common pleas, and was killed August 28, 1857, at the great age of eighty-eight years, by a gravel train on the Cincinnati Hamilton & Dayton railroad, which passed through his farm. Foster Hill, in the south part of section four, midway between Glendate and Lockland, is named after this family. (end).
"Mill Creek Valley, Past and Present" by H.B. Teetor, 1882, show Luke & Zebulon Foster to be brothers.
The SKILLMANS settled north of the Tuckers as shown on the map.
Fort Washington was built in 1789 by Col. John DOTY, son of Joseph DOTY who came from the east end of Long Island & lived Elizabethtown, N. J. in Stony Hill Valley (John TUCKER was from Stony Hill Valley).
John & Henry Tucker were both from the Passaic Valley, N. J. & were related, but not of the same family. Don't know how they were related.
Henry Tucker was born 30 June 1760 and married Mary McDaniels on 17 Dec 1780. Their dau Abigail Tucker b 1 May 1789 md Abraham SKILLMAN born 30 Mar 1782, (the son of Jacob SKILLMAN of Long Island, N.Y.) Their son Isaac Newton SKILLMAN md (1) Drusilla CHEESEMAN, they had a dau named Jo. Isaac md (2) Mary Smith TUCKER b 15 Dec 1826 Glendale, O., buried in Calif., the dau of Manning Randolph TUCKER & Rebecca PERLEE. (son of Henry). Isaac SKILLMAN & Mary had Charles SKILLMAN lived Maderia, O. (Cincinnati) md Elizabeth GOULD b. England, no issue, & Clarence Ensley who did not marry & lived with his mother in Pomona, Calif.
Henry Tucker was son of John Tucker 1729-1811 of Somerset Co. N.J. & Catherine LINE. John Tucker is buried in Scotch Plains Pres Churchyard in Scotch Plains N.J. & Catherine died 1809 is prob. buried there also. This TUCKER family goes back to Elizabeth, N.J. to John Tucker that died in Southold, Long Island 1658. For more information on this Tucker family, see posts in TUCKER forum.