After many attempts and several trips to the Lexington, KY area, I believe I have finally found the remains of the Old John Glover cemetery.This cemetery is reported to have been the resting place of Samuel South b. Apr 22, 1769 and died Sep 17, 1832.He married Martha "Patsy' Glover abt 1790.Martha Glover b. Nov 18, 1771, d. 1833.Martha was the dau of John Glover b. Sep 18, 1747 and d. Nov 27, 1823.John Glover served as private in Capt. Benjamin Logan's company, Kentucky division of Virginia militia, 1779. This old cemetery was visited August 22, 1938 by Edgar Erskine Hume of Frankfort and James Simpson of Nicholasville, descendants of John Glover.The directions left by Edgar Hume from his 1938 visit provided the basis of our search.Edgar Hume provided the following in 1938: The graveyard measures fifty by fifty feet and is surrounded by a stone fence that is partly torn down in places.The graveyard contains some twenty graves marked with stones and space for about twenty more, that is, probably there are a many as twenty unmarked graves.Some of the marked graves have only field stones without inscriptions.Others have had carved tombstones of limestone with red markings.This stone has scaled off badly so that most of the inscriptions are read with great difficulty.The stones have deteriorated markedly since our previous visit about twenty-five years ago.
The following inscriptions were made out: (1) Margaret Lyle Consort of John Lyle, Born Oct. 18 1760 Died..........181...,aged..1 years(probably 1811, aged 51) "Blessed are the deat..............................................
(2) In Memory of Margaret Ann Irvin daughter of John............. in(Probably John Glover Irvin) (remainder of stone illegible)
(3) Celia Ann Davenport daughter of Robert and Judith Irvin born Dec. 21 1806,Died June 6th 1820(Footstone:C.A.D.)
(4) Judith G Bristow daughter of Robert and Judith Irvin born April 9, 1809died July 25 1822
(5) John .....Irvin ......... 10, 1808 (?) Died August 16, 1811
(6) In memory of Robert H. Irvin Born Dec 6, 1811 died Oct 22, 1831(Footstone:R.H.I.)
(7) Footstone: J.G.S.Headstone illegible.Probably John Glover South, grandson of John Glover
(8) (Name broken off) Born August 18, 1747 Died November 27, 1823 Footstone:J.G.(John Glover)
(9) Robert B. Irvin Born Jan. 6 1768 Died Oct 8, 1831
The grave of General Samuel South, son-in-law of John Glover, though known to be in this lot, could not be identified.Family letters state that he was buried in the graveyard of his father-in-law.
During our visit on May 13, 2005 we could only find a marker for James Shelby.The cemetery was overgrown and no further markers could be found.I am trying to determine what (if any) relation James Shelby may have had to the Glover/South family.I'm not even sure the marker belonged in the cemetery. Samuel South was the son of John South & Margaret Weldon Drake. Samuel South & Martha Glover had the following children: Emily T South m. Thomas Jefferson Lewis Martha South Samuel South, Jr. m. Sara E Easton & Emily Harris John Glover South Celia South m. Willis Curd Judith South Jeremiah Weldon South m. Mary Magdalene Cockrell (my ggg-gp) Margaret Weldon South m. Samuel Drake, Jr. Eliza South m. Richard Holtzclaw
Anyone interested in sharing more information on this line of the South family should contact me at my e-mail address.