Leon Reporter, Leon, Iowa Thursday, January l9, l922
An explosion of the gas tank on a gasoline engine used with a wood sawing outfit at the home of GEORGE SOUTH, near DeKalb on Tuesday morning of last week, throwing blazing gasoline over several of the men, resulted in the death of CLYDE BLADES, of Van Wert, on Sunday morning.MR. BLADES who owned the outfit, was sawing at the SOUTH home and after running for about half an hour, stopped the engine for a few minutes, and when he went to crank it up to start again in some unknown way, probably from a short circuited wire, the gas tank exploded, and he was a mass of flames, being badly burned about the face and hands, and also inhaled the flames.Another man, ART MCCONNELL was also burned severely, but did not inhale the flame, and while his burns are very painful, he is getting along very nicely.A physician was at once summoned to attend MR. BLADES, and he was given every attention, being taken to his home at Van Wert on the evening train, where he lingered until early Sunday morning when he passed away.
He is survived by his wife and a son.His funeral was held at Van Wert, Tuesday afternoon, and was very largely attended.MR. BLADES had resided all of his life in the vicinity of DeKalb and Van Wert, and was a man highly respected.His untimely death is deeply deplored and the sympathy of the entire community goes out to the bereaved relatives.
Copied by Nancee(McMurtrey)Seifert "With permission from the Leon Journal Reporter" May 26, 2002