My family is from the Southdean area of Borders County in Scotland. They came to Canada in 1830. I live near Simcoe, Ontario, Canada.
Here's my family tree:
Info. from Simpson/Sowden family Bible
1) George Simpson - Born Lenton, Yorkshire, July 1, 1790. Died Pleasant Valley (River Nith, Paris, Ontario), June 17, 1869 (age 80).
George was the son of William Simpson, who was married to an Elliott, who in turn was relation to the Wampoles - the family name of the Prime Minister.
2) Hannah Workman - Wife of George Simpson (1). Born Wray, Lancashire, May 27, 1792. Died Paris, ON, Dec. 9, 1862 (age 72)
George Simpson owned a sawmill on the River Nith and bought labd in that area for the timber. He apparently, also, purchased the land at Woodhouse Gore, where Evergreen Hill Farm is located (my farm), The reason for the purchase is a little obscure as the timber would be a long way in those days from the mill near Paris. It is, also, not clear as to why a house was built in 1870 on the poor and remote land at Simcoe instead of on better land near Paris.
3) Samuel Simpson, son of 1 and 2. Born Caton, Lancashire April 18, 1817. No death date or location is given. We presume he came to Canada with his parents about 1818.
4) William Simpson, son of 1 and 2. Born Upper Canada May 25, 1819 - no further information.
5) Elizabeth Simpson - daughter of 1 and 2. Born Upper Canada, June 21, 1822. Died Woodhouse Gore, June 17, 1903 (80). Married Dr. Samuel Sowden (see below). Thus, the Dr. Sowden home in Paris, ON is now a dedicated Heritage Home with a plaque to this date.
6) Dr. Samuel Sowden (MA Edinburgh) (my great-great-great grandfather). Born about 1805. Married Catherine Anderson (from Glasglow) in Brantford. July 1836. She died Dec. 29, 1837. They had one child, Duncan A. Born Mt. Vernon, Knox County, Ohio, Oct. 28, 1837. Died Erie, PA. April 7, 1842.
Dr. Sowden then married Elizabeth Simpson (5) in Brantford Dec. 29, 1843 by Rev. JC Usher.
Dr. Sowden returned to Scotland about 1870. This date (1870) ties in with the building of the house on Evergreen Hill Farm. Presumably Elizabeth moved into that house with her youngest son, Samuel (see below. He left her). Dr. Sowden died in Denny, Scotland, Dec. 3, 1872. He had two sisters, one a Mrs. Graham visited him in Paris, ON on her way to Australia where she died. She was was reported to have money in sheep. A second sister of Dr. Sowden married a minister by the name of Brunton and they had a son George.
Decendents of Dr. Samuel Sowden and Elizabeth Simpson
7) Hannah Workman Sowden - born April 18, 1847. Died Aug 24, 1863
8) Sarah Elizabeth Sowden - born August 23, 1849. Married Barker who died. Married Wilson Teacher - Wolsely, SK. Died Wolsely, SK.
9) Samuel Sowden (my great-great-grandfather) - born Jan 21, 1852. Died Dec. 13, 1920 (buried beside my grandfather and father in Simcoe). Married Zerviah Hyde Martin about 1883. Zerviah was the sister of Ada Martin, who married George Sowden (see above).
Children and Decendents of Samuel and Zerviah Sowden
1) Martin Elliott Sowden - born Jan 21, 1887. Died Feb. 15, 1962. Married Rita Winnifred Atoddard of Delhi, ON. Sept. 26, 1913. (my dad's great uncle.) He was a Member of Parliament in British Columbia.
2) Perry Lyle Sowden (my great-grandfather) - born April 7, 1891. Died Jan. 12, 1974. Married Bertha Florence Olds - born Mar. 7. 1897. Died May 17, 1975.
Children of Perry Lyle and Bertha Florence Sowden:
1) Samuel Sowden (my grandfather) - Born Sept. 15, 1922. Married Margaret Wood November 25, 1950. My grandmother is still alive.
1) Richard Lyle Sowden - born July 5, 1954. Married Laurel Donna Lee. July 24, 1980.
2) Samuel Scott Sowden (my father) - born Feb. 6, 1956. Married Julie Yardley. September 23, 1978.
3) Margaret Jane Sowden - born Aug. 26, 1957. Married Peter Fleming. May 10, 1980.