A History of Harrowsmith Village – Flashback 1942 Traced back to Early Settlers in 1811 by Miss Rube Thompson, Harrowsmith, Ont, August 1942. page 1 of 4.
The village of Harrowsmith, first called Spike’s Corners, was so named because of the numerous Spike’s among the earlier settlers. The first was Brian [Bryan] Spike, who was born in England in 1776.When nineteen years of age he emigrated to the United States, and after a few years there, came to Canada and settled in the township of Portland in the year 1811. He had three sons,Aaron, Moses and Alexander.Aaron was born on the farm now owned by Frank Paterson.Later he settled on the farm where Wartman Wallace now lives and erected a handsome stone residence which some years ago was destroyed by fire.Mrs. W. Vannest of Verona, and Mrs. M. H. Carscallen, daughters of the Late Mr. & Mrs. James Phillips and G. L. (Ross) Davy of Kingston are direct descendants.Mrs. Phillips having been a daughter of Alexander Spike, and Mr. Davy’s Mother, Aaron’s daughter.William Brian, Aaron’s son, married and moved away.There were also twin sons of Moses, namely James and Robert.