I'm trying to put together a time line for this three families. This is what I have and most of it is documented.
STEPTOE, Anthony, b. 1653 in England as per Lancaster deposition in 1697, aged 44 years. He came with or brought over by John COSSINS/CUSSINS/COUSINS, of Northum'ld, and served him for 6 years, as to deposition.
The deposition has to do with Capt. John EUSTACE SR., who with his 1st. wife, Sarah and her parents, William and Elizabeth ( COSSINS, sister of John ) JAUNCEY. Came to Virginia in 1676 to claim estate that John COSSINS left them. John COSSINS had close ties with Robert JONES Sr., " Fleet's Bay ", he was his son Maurice JONES Sr.'s godfather and left him land in Northum'ld. John's wife, Mary, may possible be Martha JONES, wife of Robert Sr., sister.
Capt. John EUSTACE Sr. married 1st. to Sarah JAUNCEY, d. 1682, and 2nd. to Elizbeth poss. PINKARD/PINCHARD. John and Sarah had;
1) EUSTACE, William, b. bef. 1682 d. wd. 03 Sep. 1739, pro. 10 Mar. 1739/40, m. abt. 1719 Anne LEE, dau. of Hancock LEE Sr. and 2nd. wife Sarah ( ALLERTON ) NEWTON, had a) John EUSTACE Sr. m. 1743 Alice C. PEACHEY, b) Capt. William EUSTACE Jr. m. by 1749 Ann GASKINS, c)Isaac EUSTACE Sr. m. 1757 Agatha CONWAY, d) Elizabeth EUSTACE m. 1741 John BEALE, e)* Sarah EUSTACE m. 1741 Thomas GASKINS III, f) Hancock EUSTACE N/A
2) EUSTACE, John Jr., b. bef. 1682 d. bef. 19 Jul. 1699, his brother William was appointed one of his admin.'s of his estate, no children.
Capt. John EUSTACE Sr., b. ca. 1650, will dated 23 Dec. 1701 proven Northumberland 15 Apr. 1702, mentions wife Elizabeth, legacies to Maurice JONES and his wife, Judith ( SWAN ), Thomas PINKARD and his wife, Margaret ( SWAN ), Capt. John STEPTOE, and others, son William underage ( 21 ), exct.'s and overseers wife, Elizabeth and Capt. John STEPTOE. The SWAN sister's were the daughter of Alexander and with Judith ( possibly STEPTOE ) HINDS SWAN. Capt. John STEPTOE married as earlier as 1702 the widow, Elizabeth EUSTACE.
Back to Anthony STEPTOE, he was a close relation to Sir Philip STEPTOE of Cudridg, near Bishop's Walton, Hampshire, same place as John COSSINS. Anthony wasn't listed on the visitations as a son of Philip, these list children and siblings. In Virginia Gleaning in England p.488, Will of John STEPTOE late of Ockingham, in co. Barks., wd. 20 Mar. 1610/11 pro. 27 Mar. 1611/12, all my goods and chattle to dau. Ruthe STEPTOE, sole executor brother Alexander STEPTOE. In footnotes is mentioned Anthony STEPTOE of Va, b. Eng. 1653, was living in Northum'ld in 1697, came with Mr. John COSSENS, as first of the STEPTOE name in Virginia. Anthony STEPTOE m. 1st. Lucy STEPHENS, she d. bef. 1676, then m. 2nd Patience, widow of Thomas HOWARD, no known children.
Known children by first marriage with STEPHENS;
1) STEPTOE, Judith, b. bef. 1676, she DID NOT marry Richard LEE, b. 18 Aug. 1691 shown in Hancock Sr.'s will. Richard LEE married Judith STEPTOE, but who were her parents?? The oldest child from this marriage was born ca. 1718, so if this was his wife she been about 30 before having children, they had 7, and Judith STEPTOE LEE m. 2nd. in 1749 to Samuel PEACHEY, d. 1750, she died bef. 1759. Richard LEE died before Aug. 1735, when his adm. and exec., William EUSTACE Sr ( his bro.-in-law, stepson to Capt. John STEPTOE Sr., possibly stepbrother to Judith STEPTOE LEE PEACHEY ) started proceeding on his estate, died before the division.
Richard LEE and Judith STEPTOE had, Kendall LEE, only son, Elizabeth 'Betty' LEE CONWAY, MARY LEE LEE, Judith LEE GALLOWAY, Lettice LEE BALL, Ann LEE KERR GASKINS, and Lucy LEE SMITH MONTAGUE. Lucy was the youngest born early in 1735. The Judith who was the daugter of Anthony and Lucy would have been about 60 years old at the time of her last known child. This Judith may have married 1st. to ?? HINDS and then on 15 Nov. 1678 Lancaster Co., to Alexander SWAN. This would explain alot of the many connections with Steptoe's, Eustace's, Pinkard's and Jones' families.
2) STEPTOE Capt. John Sr., b. bef. 1676, d. 05 Jan. 1741/41 Northum'ld., m. ca. 1702/3 Elizabeth ( PINKARD ?? ) EUSTACE, known children:
a) STEPTOE William, ca. 1705-1759 m. Ann ??? had children.
b) STEPTOE John Jr., m. 1727 Joanna/Johannah LAWSON
c) STEPTOE, James Sr., m. 1st. Hannah ASHTON, m. 2nd. Elizabeth ( ESKRIDGE ) AYLETT
d) STEPTOE, Thomas N/A
e) STEPTOE, Elizabeth, m. ca. 1740 Joseph BLACKWELL
f) STEPTOE, Lucy, m. 1745 Samuel BLACKWELL
Judith STEPTOE b. ca. 1703 d. bef. 1758, m. 1st. ca. 1717/8 Richard LEE of " Ditchley " , m. 2nd. Feb. 1749 Samuel PEACHEY.
Margaret STEPTOE m. 1735 Thomas LAWSON
Most of these marriages place in Northum'ld or Lancaster which was on the border from each other in the Great Wicomico Parish. With the records in Northumberland missing many years on marriages, abt. 50yrs., and deeds, it's hard to put these families together.
My questions are could Judith Steptoe be the daughter of Capt. John and Elizabeth? Could she be from a 1st. marriage of John's or the second of Anthony's? Does anyone have a copy of Capt. John's or any of this families will's?
* Our line is from William Eustace and Anne Lee, but so many of these people are so connected then and later with the Chilton's, that I want to get it straight and right. For 250+ years Anna dau. of Hancock Lee Sr. and 1st. wife, Mary Kendall was thought to have married William Eustace. Anna married William Armistead, he d. 1711, she died before 1737. Hancock and his 2nd. wife, Sarah Allerton, had Anne, who married William Eustace. Hancock Lee Sr's will mentioned wife Sarah and children, but by name dau. Anna Armistead and Richard Lee, only son and heir, under 21 years. So you can see two children same basic names and two mothers. This may have happened in the Steptoe family, too! I'll furnish sources on request, but this is soooo long now!!!!!
Thank you so much for any help,