I'm descended from James & Mary Martha Stigler of King George, VA.
I have some evidence to support a connection between the STIGLER family and the STROTHER/BERRY and SETTLE family of King George, VA and wanted to share it with other Stigler researchers.
These families from King George, VA are a closely nit group and they did intermarry each other. I see a connection between these families but can't solve it and perhaps some of the other Stigler researchers might solve the puzzle with the sharing of this info.Here's some background info on the Stigler family of King George, VA:
1. Inventory/estate record of David WILLIAMS deceased, dated February 1748 in King George lists James STIGLER, Wm HARRISON, Joel BERRY, Timothy LYON, Henry BERRY, Robert STROTHER, Samuel KENDALL and Chs HOLDSWORTH.
2. Will of Joseph BERRY dated 1749 in King George Co., VA, shows James STIGLER signed a security Bond for Five hundred pounds with Joseph Berry and Benjamin Berry (sons of Joseph Berry).
3. Inventory/estate of George HARRISON dated 1749 in King George listed James STIGLER, Samuel KENDALL and Benjamin STROTHER.
4.King George DB 3, p. 326. Grace Berry deeds negro wench to her grandaughter Mary Wren, late Mary STROTHER, wife of William Wren, 30 Nov 1749.
5.Grace BERRY gave negro man to her grandson Nicholas STROTHER, witnessed by James Stiglar, dated 1750.
6. Inventory/estate record of Grace BERRY dated 1757 in King George Co., VA, my ancestor James STIGLER is listed along with Isaac ARNOLD and Wm RANKINS.
7. Indenture document dated 1764 in King George for James STIGLAR and Martha his wife giving land to their son Samuel STIGLER that adjoined lands of Joseph HARRISON, Robert PECK and Capt. Joseph STROTHER. Indenture was signed in presence of Joseph HARRISON.
8. Will of James STIGLER is dated 1765 in King George.The Executors in his will were Joel BERRY and Robert STRINGFELLOW. The witnesses were Mary HARRISON, Jos. (Joseph) STROTHER and N. (Nicholas) STROTHER.
9. In 1787 in King George, Andrew HARRISON, Henry BERRY and Mary STIGLER gave over 300 pounds of beef (per person) to the public for support of the Americans in the Revolutionary war effort.Our Martha has been called herself Mary on several King George documents.
From the info on the STROTHER Family Forum on GenForum, Nicholas STROTHER was in common law marriage to Mary HARRISON (witnesses on James STILGER will) and Nicholas was the son of Margaret BERRY and Joseph STROTHER. Margaret Berry (wife of Joseph Strother) was daughter of John and Grace Berry.There seems to be a lot of confusion on the internet for the Berry family genealogy and some have Margaret BERRY as daughter of Joseph BERRY and James BERRY.Benjamin STROTHER married Mary Wolfendale and he was brother of Joseph STROTHER.Both Benjamin STROTHER and Joseph STROTHER were the sons of William STROTHER the immigrant and Dorothy his wife. Robert STROTHER married Elizabeth BERRY daughter of William BERRY and Margaret DOUGHTY.
The only Joel BERRY I was able to find was listed in the will of Henry BERRY written 1748 and probated in court in 1750 in King George. His wife was Sarah.
The children of James and Mary Martha STILGER were:
1. Samuel STIGLER.
2. Benjamin STIGLER.
3. David STIGLER.
4. Catherine STIGLER married Robert STRINGFELLOW.
5. Agge STIGLER.
6. Mary STIGLER.
Notes on Martha, widow, Deed Book 5, p. 1194 King George County, April 19, 1776, deeded to her son Benjamin land left to her by James. Property then went to James son of Benjamin who sold it to Robert Stringfellow, 1795, it was this deed that mentioned date of purchase by James Stiglar as March 2, 1743. Robert and Catherine (Stigler) sell the same property to John Skinner 19 May 1800.
My fifth great grandfather David Stigler left will dated 1819 in Frederick Co., VA.The children of David Stigler were Price, John, James, Benjamin, Catherine and Nancy Stigler.The wife of David Stigler died before he wrote his will and she is not mentioned in it.He was in Fauquier Co., VA as early as 1767 (two years after his father died) and then migrated to Frederick Co., VA.Most of the marriage records for the Stigler family can be found in Fauquier Co., VA.The land David Stigler owned in Frederick Co., VA adjoined that of Settle, John, and Singleton family. The witnesses on his will were Larken Settle, Milford S. Settle and Vincent Settle.The witnesses on his estate inventory dated 1819 were Samuel & James McConaghey.The McConaughey's were brother-in-laws of Price Stigler (McConaughey has many varied spellings including McConnaha).
A court document dated 1735 in King George, VA for Richard Price appointed James Stigler as trustee for his estate.I often wondered what his connection was to the Stigler family since my grandfather David Stigler named his son "Price" Stigler.In the 18th (1700s) century, families didn't name a child after someone's last name unless they were related to them. David Stigler's daughter Catherine Stigler married 23 Mar 1803 in Frederick Co., VA to James Hambrick and they had daughter Nancy Hambrick who married James Strother in Fauquier Co., VA.
I did find a query on the Strother Family Forum at GenForum asking about an Isaac SETTLE who purchased land from his father-in-law Maxfield Browne dated 29 Oct 1734.The tract of land containing 100 acres was bound by the lands of John Settle, Sr. Joseph Settle, Joseph Dodd and Captain Benjamin Strother.Benjamin STROTHER lived next to John SETTLE. Benjamin STROTHER has appeared on documents with my James Stigler.
The most popular names for children in the Stigler family are Catherine, Nancy, James and Benjamin.Three sons of James & Mary Martha Stigler:Benjamin, Samuel, David all had daughters named Nancy and all had sons named Benjamin.The names Nancy and Benjamin are being handed down through the Sette/Strother/Berry families.I realize you can't rely on first names as fact but they can be used as clues.
Sorry to make this post a little long but I hope it helps other Stigler family researchers. I would be happy to exchange ideas and info with other Stigler family researchers.