A excerpt of the the commosion to locate the site of Frontier Forts of Pennsyvania 1896
This fort was built by John Doddridge on a tract of land called "Extravagance" situated on the waters of Buffalo creek in Independence township, Washington county, about three miles west of West Middletown, and two miles east of Independence town, and about three-fourths of a mile southwest from Teeter's Fort. The farm has long been a tenant farm and is now owned by Rev. W. F. Brown, D. D., Canonsburg, Pa.
When this fort was built it probably took the place of Teeters' Fort which had become indefensible. It stood where the present dwelling stands, and the stockade enclosed probably about one-half an acre of land. There is an excellent spring still in existence which was either enclosed or so close as to be within the protection of the fort.
Soon after the attack and repulse of the Indians at Wheeling an attack was made upon Rice's Fort on Buffalo creek, about 12 miles from its junction with the Ohio river, and about four miles from Doddridge's Fort, which was also repulsed. It was supposed that an, attack would then be made on Doddridge's Fort. Capt. Samuel Teeters, a relative of Doddridge, took command and prepared the fort for defense; but it was not attacked although the Indians passed near it. (Reed and Simpson MS.)
This fort took its name from its builder, Capt. Samuel Teeters, who had participated in Braddock's and Grant's defeats, and who located on a tract of land called "Plenty" on the waters of Cross creek, in Independence township, Washington county. The premises are now owned and occupied by Col. Asa Manchester, (aged about 82 years); and had been in the Manchester family since 1797, Isaac Manchester having purchased the farm in that year from Capt. Saml. Teeters and from him it has descended to the present owner. Samuel Teeters settled on it in 1773.
The dimensions of this fort cannot be given, but it was supposed to contain within its area about the one-eighth of an acre. Part of the site is probably covered by the owner's present residence, which was erected in 181.5. There are some stones in the house-yard which were probably foundation stones of the blockhouse or of some of the cabins. Some of the logs of the fort, or stockade, are still in use in Col. Manchester's woodhouse. The Colonel showed where he remembered a long depression caused by the decaying of the stockades, which were spilt logs standing about 16 feet high, set in the ground with other logs set in the interstices, and which had been erected around his house and buildings. * * * * This was probably one of the first forts erected in this vicinity. It was abandoned as indefensible on the erection of Doddridge's Fort about three-fourths of a mile southwest therefrom, [Reed and Simpson MS., Hist. Wash. Co., 825.]