The earliest records of the Townleys in Ireland appear in October 1534, when they sailed with Chester to Dublin on the military fleet to put down the rebellion. Within the twelve months following their arrival, the suppression of the monasteries was introduce in which they were involved:
(c.f Fiants of Henry VII. Seventh Report of D. Keeper of P.R., Ireland)
As a result, around 1535 one of these Townley, a Lawrence Townley was granted a 21 year lease the land around and including Mellifort Abbey (a few miles west of Drogheda). His son, John, is recorded as being stationed with the military in Slane, a few miles away (and is also recorded at Ardee).