I am a descendant of John Trenchard and his second wife Hannah Lawrence Pierson (1 Oct 1793 - 17 Feb 1862), almost certainly a daughter of Maj. David Pierson and Rebecca Fithian (m 19 Dec 1792 Cumberland Co NJ). David Pierson's parents were David Pierson Sr and Hannah Lawrence, daughter of Jonathan Lawrence and Abigail Ogden; he also had a sister named Hannah Lawrence Pierson, b 9 Mar 1773.
In Old Stone (Fairfield Presbyterian) Church Cemetery in Cumberland Co NJ, the adjoining graves of David Pierson and his two wives Rebecca and Nancy (Ogden, m 1 Apr 1802) are separated from the graves of Amos Fithian's family by only two surviving headstones, Rebecca Fithian Pierson's being the closest and the oldest:
* Nancy, wife of David PIERSON, b. 26 Feb 1783, d. 28 Oct 1844
* Major David PIERSON, b. 3 Mar 1771, d. 15 Jan 1815
* Rebecca, wife of David PIERSON, Jr., d. 5 Feb 1801, ae 25 yrs
* Ephraim H. SMITH, son of Aaron & Catherine SMITH, d. 19 May 1812, ae 13 yrs, 9 dys
* William Peck, son of Benj. & Ruth THOMPSON, & grandson of Rev. E. OSBORN, d. 21 Dec 1840, in 17th yr
* Amos FITHIAN, Jr., d. 9 Sep 1822, ae nearly 21 yrs
* George W. FITHIAN, son of Amos & Rachel FITHIAN, d. 14 Aug 1819, ae 14 yrs, 10 mos, 26 dys
* Rebecca B. FITHIAN, daughter of Amos & Rachel FITHIAN, d. 10 Oct 1810, ae 3 yrs, 1 mo, 10 dys
* Amos FITHIAN, d. 1 Apr 1819, ae 59 yrs, 5 mos, 20 dys
* Mrs. Rachel FITHIAN, d. 6 Sep 1836, ad 67 yrs
These Fithian graves are those of Amos Fithian (1759-1819, son of Joseph Fithian and Hannah Vickers), his wife Rachel Leake (m 28 Apr 1794), their sons Amos Jr and George W. , and their daughter Rebecca B.
Whose daughter was Rebecca Fithian (b~1775, m David Pierson 19 Dec 1792, d 5 Feb 1801)? Her daughter's children by John Trenchard (who already had seven by his first wife Eleanor Davis) were named John, John Franklin, Amos, John Franklin, Theophilus (my gggf), Emily, George, Rufus, Richard, Nancy Ann, Jane, and Henry Clay. Six of these sons, including Amos, did not survive infancy -- they are buried under their initials in Old Stone Church Cemetery near John Trenchard (21 Jul 1783 - 1 Jul 1863) and both his wives. I know of no other Amos Trenchard in the Trenchard pedigree, and no other Theophilus or Rufus Trenchard, and I have never seen any of my John Trenchards identified as John Franklin Trenchard.
Does anyone know of any evidence that connects Rebecca and Amos Fithian? Did the Joel Fithian who married secondly Elizabeth Beatty, widow of Philip Vickers Fithian, by any chance have a daughter Rebecca by his previous marriage with Rachel Holmes (m 3 Sep 1771, d 12 Feb 1779)? The only offspring I have for them is Josiah (b 30 Sep 1776). Does anyone know if the papers of Philip Vickers Fithian rule out the possibility of his wife (m 25 Oct 1775) being pregnant at the time of his death on 8 Oct 1776?
Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this!