I recently purchased a photo album that apparently once belonged to the subject family.The identifications are in the shakey handwriting of an elderly Bertha A. E. Tubbs (1889-1985).The photos include the following:
1. Circa 1890 photo of a woman taken by J. M. Brainerd, Oneida, NY, identified on page holder: "Birdie Mehitabel Bushnell"
2. Circa 1890 photo of a man taken by J. M. Brainerd, Oneida, NY, identified on page holder: "Chas. R. Tubbs"
3. Circa 1890 photo of a man, woman, and child taken by Wiggins, Oneida, NY, identified on page holder: "Birdie & Chas Tubbs with daughter Bertha"
4. Circa 1895 photo of three children taken by G. D. Dunn, Canastota, NY, identified on page holder: "Bertha, Rob, and Herbertchildren of Chas. & Birdie TubbsFirst suit Hubert ever had--brown plaidBertha's dress was salmon pink made for Uncle Clark's wedding.I'm about 6 yrs old in picture"
5. Circa 1890s photo of woman taken by Johnson Bros., Cazenovia, NY, identified on the back of the mount: "Bertha E. A. TubbsPicture Bertha Bushnell Tubbs," and on the page holder: "Birdie M. BushnellBrown dress, blue eyes, light brown hair"
This family is included in a public member tree posted on ancestry.com.I found them listed in the 1900, 1910, 1920, and 1930 Census data for Lenox town (according to the 1920 and 1930 Census data, they resided at 309 South Peterboro Street in Canastota village), Madison Co., NY.I also found some of the family members listed in "The Farm Journal Illustrated Rural Directory of Madison County, New York" (1917) (they then resided at 110 Prospect Street in Canastota).Some of the family members are buried in the Oneida Lake Cemetery, Messenger Bay, Lenox, Madison Co., NY.
In 1889, Charles R. Tubbs, born Apr 1862 in NY, married Bertha "Birdie" Mehitabel Bushnell, born Dec 1861 in NY, the daughter of a farmer, Charles R. Bushnell, born about 1824 in CT, and Adda/Addie (maiden name unknown), born about 1834 in NY.Charles and Bertha had the following 7 children (all born in NY):
Bertha A. E. Tubbs, born 14 Dec 1889, died 7 Nov 1985
Hubert Charles Tubbs, born May 1892
Robert B. Tubbs, born Oct 1894
Orabelle J. Tubbs, born Mar 1897
Ruth M. Tubbs, born 18 Sep 1900, died 23 Apr 1992
Gertrude L. Tubbs, born about 1904
Clark B. Tubbs, born 3 May 1910, died 6 May 1969 (CPL Army Air Forces WWII)
Charles R. Tubbs worked as a farmer, a superintendent in a pickle factory, and a pickle company salesman.His first two sons, Hubert and Robert, were farmers in their younger years.In 1917, his daughter Bertha was a music teacher.In 1920, Robert and his sister Gertrude worked as private entertainment musicians, while their sister Ruth taught music in private homes.
Contact me if you wish to view these photos.