In the month of June 1768, a township of land situated on both sides of a river in Maine was granted to the descendants of those men who went from Sudbury, Massachusetts, and adjacent towns on the Canadian Expedition in 1690. This grant was called Sudbury, Canada and is now Bethel. Joseph Twitchell, a man of affairs, was chosen president of the proprietors, and took great interest in the plantation. He bacame a very large proprieter by bidding off lands sold for taxes, and by purchasing rights of others, so that he had nearly a controlling interest in the soil. Neither he nor any of the other origional proprietors were residents, but four of his sons became residents of Sudbury, Canada, and spent the remainder of their days there. Joseph Twitchell caused a gristmill and a sawmill to be built on the Millbrook at the foot of Bethel hill in 1774. These, save perhaps a rude camp or two, were the first buildings erected in the township. In 1779 a house was built for the use of the miller, the first building erected for a dwelling. He married (first) June 28, 1739, Deborah Fairbanks, daughter of Joseph F. Fairbanks, of Sherborn, and with her was received into the church July 27,1740. He married (second) Widow Deborah (Sanger) Fasset, January 5, 1786. He was the father of fourteen children, all by the first wife: Samuel, Joseph, Elizabeth, Eleazer, Ezra, Martha, Deborah (died young), Abel, Deborah, Molly, Amos, Eli, Peter, and Julia. Eli and Peter served in the Revolutionary War. Eli left no descendants. Eleazer and Eli live in Bethel.