I thought it was about time I posted my most recent findings in my URQUHART hunt!
So far I've traced my line back to my 6G Grandparents:
William URQUHART, born circa 1740, probably in Midlothian. He married Mary ROBERTSON (born circa 1740, also probably in Midlothian) (marriage date & location unknown; presumed circa 1762) and they had at least five children:
1. William URQUHART, born 16 Dec 1763, Dalkeith, Midlothian; bap 18 Dec 1763, Dalkeith, Midlothian.
2. John URQUHART, born 7 Feb 1766, Dalkeith, Midlothian.
3. Anne URQUHART, born 7 Aug 1767, Dalkeith, Midlothian; bap 9 Aug 1767, Dalkeith, Midlothian.
4. Alexander URQUHART, born 31 Mar 1770, Dalkeith, Midlothian; bap 8 Apr 1770, Dalkeith, Midlothian (see below).
5. Thomas URQUHART, born 22 Sep 1773, Dalkeith, Midlothian; bap 27 Sep 1773, Dalkeith, Midlothian.
Alexander URQUHART (above) was born on 31 Mar 1770, Dalkeith, Midlothian and bap 8 Apr 1770, Dalkeith, Midlothian. He died on 20 Feb 1821 at Dundee, Angus and was buried at the Dundee Howff Cemetery. Alexander URQUHART worked as a Cork-cutter. He married Margaret KERR (possibly born 8 Mar 1765, Newton, Midlothian; bap 5 Dec 1771, South Leith, Midlothian; died 5 Sep 1830, Dundee; possibly daughter of William KERR and Isabel AUCHINLECK) on 4 Jan 1788 at South Leith, Midlothian. Alexander URQUHART and Margaret KERR had at least eight children:
1. Margaret URQUHART, born 31 May 1793, Dundee, Angus; died 8.30pm, 23 Jun 1864, Briar Cottage, Lochee, Angus; death reported by James McGregor TOSH [grandson] [present]; cause of death: Gastritis. Her will was signed 9 Jun 1860 at Lochee, Angus. Probate was granted on 18 Mar 1865, and she left £256 - 6s - 3d plus property in her will. Margaret URQUHART married John MCGREGOR, Coppersmith (born circa 1789, Montrose, Angus) on 9 Jul 1810 at Dundee, Angus.
2. Alexander URQUHART, born 25 Jul 1795, Dundee, Angus.
3. Charles URQUHART, born 4 Sep 1796, Dundee, Angus
4. Thomas URQUHART, born 9 Jul 1798, Dundee, Angus; died circa 1798, Dundee, Angus.
5. Robertson URQUHART, born 6 Sep 1800, Dundee, Angus; died 5 May, 1830, Dundee, Angus.
6. Struther UQUHART (aka “Stother” and “Stretter”), born 4 May 1802, Dundee, Angus; died 1803, Dundee, Angus; buried 15 Aug 1803, Dundee Howff Cemetery.
7. William URQUHART, born circa 1804, Dundee, Angus; died circa 1804, Dundee, Angus.
8. Thomas URQUHART, born after 1798, Dundee, Angus. (From his sister, Margaret Urquhart McGregor's will (dated 1860):Second. Promissory note to the deceased by Thomas Urquhart, Liverpool and payable one day after date, dated the seventeenth day of December Eighteen hundred and sixty Interest paid thereon half yearly in advance.......................... £100)
Does anyone link to, or know anything about, the above family? I'm always happy to share data, and would welcome new information about this branch of the URQUHARTs.