Hi, My VAGT cousins also frequently used the spelling VOGT. Sometimes the same men would be listed under both spellings simultaneouslyin city directories.
Family from Hannover. Immigrated to New York City (Manhattan) in @ the 1840s -- removed to Jersey City NJ in the 1880s. Branches believed to have spread throughout Hudson & Bergen Counties (and probably beyond). Immigrant's name was John or Henry (or perhaps John Henry). His wife's name was Dora (short for Dorothea) (probably her birth namee was Weichmann). Family was Episcopalian in America. Don't know what their religion may have been in Germany. There were so many of them, descendants must be out there ...
Dora and John had: 1. Frederick 2. Charles 3. William 4. Dorothy 5. Teanie (Christina) 6. Minnie (Wilhelmina) 7. Annie 8. Henry (died young; was an invalid and often sick) 9. One Other
1. Frederick m. Mary _____. Lived in North Bergen, at foot of Plank Road. Issue:
1a. Gertrude 1b. Lily m. ______. Had Issue. 1c. Florence 1d. John 1e. Frederick Jr.
3 William m. first Mainee ____. Had: 3a. William Vogt Jr. m. Florence 3b. Harold Vogt m. ______ 3c. Florence Vogt m. August Eibel. They lived in Secaucus. 3d. Mabel Vogt 3e. George Vogt m. _______. Had one son. Lived in Jersey City.
3. William Vogt married Second. Emma _______. They lived in Secaucus. No issue.
5. Teanie Vogt #1m ______. Issue:
5a. Bertha m. Ameal
5b. Minnie m. Arthur ______. Issue:
5ba Arthur Jr., d. as child
5bb A daughter, d. age 17 or 18
5. Teanie #2m Theodore Heuser [Fire Chief in Mt. Vernon, scalded to death in a boiler during a fire; as a widow, when Dorothy knew her, Teanie lived in West New York] Issue:
5c. Emma m. John ______. Issue:
5cb. Theodore Jr. m. _______. Issue:
7. Annie m. Edward Haphe. Issue:
7a. Edward Haphe m. Louise Lehman. They lived on Zabriskie Street in Jersey City.