This is my line--I hope this helps--Norma
Daniel was born November 8, 1786, in Pennsylvania and died May 8, 1865, in Adelphi Camp, twp. Polk County, Iowa, at age 79--(at least he has a tombstone in the Warren - Powers cemetery).
He married (2) Abigail Van Scoyoc May 12, 1806, in Butler Ross County, Ohio Abigail was born June 23, 1786 Pennsylvania and died October 11, 1853--12 years before Daniel died.
Both are buried at POWERS-Warren Cemetery.If Daniel made it to Iowa he would have been approximately 64 years old before settling in Iowa and so would have Abigail. The year of arrival to Iowa is assumed to be around 1850, based on thebirth ofhis son’s, Joseph’s first child born in Iowa-- (see more info on that in Generation 2--Joseph‘s Genealogy)..
Daniel and Abigail have 2 marriage dates-- one in Ohio 1806; and one in Pennsylvania 1810.While waiting for a clergyman to visit their community, people would deem themselves as married and then later would have a church ceremony and thus a 2nd marriage datewould be listed.Clergy traveled to the people since most early communities did not have the means to establish a church and support a minister.Birthdates, alsovaried because the christening date may be used rather than the actual birthdate.These dates can vary 2years or more since a community often had to wait years until clergy visited to enter as a church vested christening.
*The POWERS came from Pennsylvania as Daniel listed that as his birthplace.Connie Leonard Powers says it was not known if they were Irish or English.Connie did some research in Ohio where Daniel lived with 2 other POWERS families (Abraham and William) who were also from Pennsylvania.These families moved to Indiana when Daniel did--same county and everything--so she knows they are related but never took the time to really trace them.
Latter Day Saints Research files also show Pennsylvania as birthplace but does not give parent name for Daniel.
*Abigail VanScoyoc’s parents were Stephen VanScoyoc and Elizabeth Bales.They had about 12 Children and many of them moved to Iowa.Connie thinks there are still some descendants down by Milo.
Latter Day Saints Research show Abigails’s name listed as“skyhawk” as well as Van Scoyc and other variations.Her family originated from the Netherlands and the family history has been traced back to earlier than the 1500s.
Children of Daniel and Abigail were:
1. Esther POWERS born 1807
2. David POWERS born 1809, Ohio
3. Joseph POWERS born January 11, 1810, Ross County, Ohio. Died November 1872, Adelphi, Polk County, Iowa.(Joseph is part of our line--see info on him in Generation 2.)
Joseph Married Nancy Allen Boatwright (see appendix for info on Boatright family).His first wife Naomi died shortly after they arrived in Polk County leaving him with 4 children:John N., Daniel Boone, Mariah Jane, and Sarah Frances.With his marriage to Nancy, they had William, Joan or Joanne (depends on which census record you look at), twins Enoch and Elijah (Elijah is Denver Powers’ father) and twins David and Mary.
4. Stephen POWERSborn 1813 (This is Cony Leonard POWERS line)
5. Abigail POWERS born 1820.
6. Lucinda W. POWERS born March 12 1825 (twin to Johnathon)
7. JohnathonW.POWERS born March 12, 1825 in Montgomery cty. Indiana; Died June 30, 1863 at Young’s Point, Louisiana, disease at the age of 38. Johnathon W. POWERS was a resident of Polk County since 1850 until he entered the service.His home was near Lovish Grove.He was a favorite among his comrades; a good soldier.He left many relatives in Polk County - 2 brothers, Stephen and Francis.His home had been for some years with Mr. Barlow Granger and Dr. Wilson.He passed unhurt through the battles of Port Gibson and Black River Bridge.
--submitted by Dick Barton (Iowa Genealogy Biography)
8. Francis POWERSborndied
Connie said it took her forever to track Francis down.He married and had 4 sons.They eventually moved to Nebraska.The youngest son Daniel must have died because he was on the Iowa census but not the Nebraska census.After Francis, died his wife and 2 sons moved to Arkansas;his other son stayed in Nebraska.None of his sons had any children!
He first married Susanna Phillips(she was 16) and she died in 1857 in childbirth and the child died too.Francis then married Susanna’s sister Ann Phillips.She was born November 18, 1839 in Meigs County, Ohio.They had 4 sons.Milan, Ned, Albert.Milan and Albert (died of the flu epidemic),Louisa (died in Siloam Springs, Akransas 1925).
(Denver Powers Genealogy Line)
2. * Joseph POWERS (2) (Daniel 1) was born January 11, 1810 in Ross Cty, Ohio,
died November 23, 1872 at the age of 62.
He married (1) Naomi Boyd March 21, 1838 in Montgomery County Indiana.She died February 26, 1851 and a stone is in the Warren - Powers Cemetery is placed by Joseph and his 2nd wife’s stone in Warren County, Iowa.Joseph and Naomi had been married 13 years.Their last child was born 1846.It is assumed shenever made it to Iowa since her last child was born in Indiana.
Nancy Allen Boatwrightmarried Joseph POWERS February 16, 1852, 6 years after Naomi’s death.Nancy was born April 3, 1823 in Virginia and died March 25, 1877 in Adelphi Camp twp. Polk County, Iowaat the age of54.
Boatwright information Kathleen Bennett (Genformum. genealogy.com --message 402, 2001.
Granville Jasper Boatwright born in Iowa 1852 is Kathleen’s grandfather:“Our forefathers were born in England and our name was Allen (Alan).We were on the wrong side of the War of Roses (we lost!) and possibly hid in Wales until migrating to the New World.A bounty had been placed on their heads by the King of England, and when anyone asked what their name was they would say: “We paddle our boat right.”Three Allen brothers settled in Virginia prior to the Revolutionary War and all three fought on the American side.”The middle name of Allenin Nancy Allen Boatwright’s name is an indicator that she is of this Boatwright family.
*Joseph POWERS and Naomi Boyd’s children
1. John N. POWERS (3)died Iowa Infantry - Civil War.Married Jane Catherine Boatwright February 9, 1863, PolkCounty , Iowa.They had 2 children--Joseph and Mary.*The 1800 census shows them living with Jane’s mother.So far they have not been found after that.She probably remarried; later, she filed for his military pension.