Thomas Smythe, the son of Dr. George Smyth, the spy for the British in the Revolutionary War, and the father of Terence Smythe, who married Eleanor Weatherhead, was a lieutenant in Sir John Johnson's King's Royal Regiment of New York. In 1803 he became a major in the Leeds militia under Lieutenant Colonel Edward Jessup and Colonel Joel Stone. Thomas received a land grant for about 4000 acres in the area now called Smiths Falls with the stipulation that a mill had to be built on the falls. Thomas lived in Leeds County where he was a farmer and did nothing with the land at Smiths Falls, which was complete wilderness. In 1810 he became short of money and mortgaged 400 acres for the sum of 233 pounds. The money was never paid to him and apparently he assumed that he still owned the land. In 1823 Thomas had a small sawmill built there by the Merricks, who also had a mill in Montague. In 1824 Thomas Smythe was sued on the mortgage and lost the land which was sold to Charles Jones for 105 pounds at a sherriff's sale. Charles Jones immediately sold it to Abel Russell Ward for 600 pounds. Ward rebuilt the mill and put it into operation. In 1827 the mill was torn down for the construction of the Rideau canal. Ward claimed 5000 pounds as damages but only received 1500 pounds. In 1827 Ward sold a two-thirds share of his land at Smiths Falls to James Simpson for 1500 pounds. In 1840 Thomas Smythe's sons Terence and George Henry sued in Chancery Court to challenge the title of Ward and Simpson to the town site and the water rights and won the suit. However, the decision was appealed by Ward and Simpson, who won the appeal in 1847. The Smythe brothers appealed to the Privy Council in England in 1850 but were unsuccessful. The town retained the name of Smiths Falls but as far as I know no Smythe ever lived there.