Hi, Karen. You may be referring to the original Titus, Titus Brown Whelpley. I believe he derived his name from a maternal grandfather. Although the Whelpley's are heavily connected to my distant cousins, I have never attempted a study of the family as I had thought it was ably being dealt with by others; but I was wrong.
I should point out that the Titus in the directory was not Titus Douglas Whelpley, but Titus Whelpley on Douglas Road. Most likely Titus Brown Whelpley, Jr., below.
Let me see if I can construct from some sources something of Titus and his family.
TITUS BROWN WHELPLEY (s/o Capt. Richard (1776-1857) and Charlotte (Sarah?) Whitney (Gorham) (1791 (ca. 1785 in 1851)-1864) Whelpley) b. 28APR1812 (28AUG1812 in 1901 census), bpt. 20JUN1813, d. Kings Co., NB 2APR1906 age 94 (93 on headstone) years, bur. All Saints' Anglican Church Cem., Clifton Royal, Kingston Parish, Kings Co., NB, m. Westfield Parish, Kings Co., NB 28OCT1838 (or 17OCT1838) ELIZABETH ANN BELYEA (b. 25FEB1816 (or 1DEC1818?), d. 19AUG1896 age 80 years, bur. All Saints' Anglican Church Cem., Clifton Royal, Kingston Parish, Kings Co., NB), d/o James and Catherine (Brittain) Belyea.
Went mostly by his middle name. Said to have been a twin to his brother, Nathaniel Gorham Whelpley.
Titus and Elizabeth are said to have lived at Long Reach until 19APR1869 when they moved to Pleasant Grays, Salisbury (Westmorland Co.?), NB. In spite of this, by 1881 and 1901, Brown and Elizabeth live with their son-in-law, G. Hudson Flewelling, in Kinsgton Parish.
Also, on a pillar or obelisk for Gabriel Hudson Flewelling (who also married a daughter of Titus Brown Whelpley) is the inscription:
In memory of
T. Brown Whelpley
died April 2, 1906
Aged 93 years
T. Brown Whelpley,
died Aug 19, 1896
Aged 80 years
She hath done what she could
1. CHARLOTTE WHITNEY WHELPLEY (b. Long Reach, NB 12OCT1839, bpt. Kingston, Kingston Parish, Kings Co., NB 4JAN1839 [I recognize the contradiction, but those are the dates I have, and the date of baptism I probably got from the church register. It is possible she was b. 12OCT1838; see below: TAM; but the Westfield Parish church register has her bpt. 4JAN1840, more likely correct], d. Halifax, NS 5APR1927, bur. All Saints‘ Anglican Church Cem., Clifton, Kingston Parish, Kings Co., NB 8APR1927 aet. 87 years, 6 months [i. e., b. ca. OCT1838]), m. 2JAN1861 ORMOND ELTING FLEWELLING b. ca. 1840, bpt. Kingston, Kingston Parish, Kings Co., NB 17MAY1840, d. Halifax, NS 5(or 4)AUG1908 aet. 68 years, on headstone at All Saints’ Anglican Church Cem., Clifton, Kingston Parish, Kings Co., NB where he was bur. 7AUG1908.
2. HANNAH AUGUSTA WHELPLEY (b. Long Reach, Kingston Co., NB 15JAN1842, bpt. 13MAR1842, d. 10DEC1916 aet. 74 years, bur. All Saints’ Anglican Church Cem., Clifton Royal, Kingston Parish, Kings Co., NB), m. Long Reach, Kings Co., NB 16SEP1863 The Honourable GABRIEL HUDSON FLEWELLING, MPP b. 13MAY1842, bpt. Trinity Anglican Church, Kingston, Kingston Parish, Kings Co., NB 10JUL1842, d. 9MAY1922 aet 80 years, bur. All Saints’ Anglican Church Cem., Clifton Royal, Kingston Parish, Kings Co., NB.
3. CATHERINE ELIZABETH (called Elizabeth?) WHELPLEY b. ca. 1845, m. Long Reach, Kingston Parish, Kings Co., NB by the Rev. W. E. Scovil 14SEP1864 WILLIAM WALLACE WETMORE (b. ca. 1837, d. 1906)
Another Titus Brown Whelpley (an uncle?) was:
TITUS BROWN WHELPLEY (s/o s/o Jonathan and Mary (Kitchen) Whelpley) b. ca. 1799-1800, d. Long Reach, Kingston Parish, Kings Co., NB 3OCT1875 age 76 years, m. SUSANNAH (SUSAN) ORAM (b. ca. 1800.)
His mother, Mary Whelpley (b. ca. 1765), was a widow and living with him in the 1851 census of Kingston Parish. She was a Loyalist, arriving with the Spring Fleet of MAY1783.
1. HANNAH ELIZABETH (ELIZABETH HANNAH) DEMPSEY WHELPLEY b. ca. 1821, bpt. SEP1823, d. 4APR1910 age 88 years
2. DANIEL JONATHAN WHELPLEY bpt. SEP1823
3. WILLIAM HENRY WHELPLEY bpt. 19AUG1827
4. DANIEL WHELPLEY (2nd?) b. 27(?)SEP1828, bpt. 17SEP1829. In the 1851 census, Daniel, age 22, is absent from the household.
3. SARAH A. WHELPLEY b. ca. 1830
4. JAMES ORAM WHELPLEY bpt. 25SEP1825
5. SARAH ANN WHELPLEY b. 24APR1830, bpt. 17OCT1830
6. JOHN WHELPLEY b. ca. 1832
7. GEORGE LEONARD WHELPLEY b. ca. 1834
8. MARY ELIZA WHELPLEY b. ca. 1836, bpt. AUG1836
9. TITUS BROWN WHELPLEY b. 19MAY1838, bpt 30SEP1838.
10. CHARLES F. WHELPLEY b. ca. 1840
11. ROBERT B. WHELPLEY b. ca. 1842
Yet another Titus Brown Whelpley, likely the same in the directory, is in the 1881 census of Ward 1, Portland Township, Saint John Co., NB, Titus is a shipwright age 56 (b. ca. 1825) with a wife, Margaret, age 52 (b. ca. 1829.) No children are listed. The IGI gives him as Titus Brown Whelpley b. Kingston Parish, Kings Co., NB 22MAR1826, s/o Henry and Isabella (Alward) Whelpley. Margaret (b. ca. 1829) may be the Margaret Fisher/Whelpley (one her maiden name, the other her married name) b. ca. 1833, d. 8DEC1902 age 69 years; but this seems unlikely. Titus appears to have d. Queens Co., NB 19APR1901 age 76. I do not find him in the 1901 census, but a widow, Margaret? Whelpley, b. 3AUG1828 (MAR1828 in 1911) was in Saint John in 1901 and 1911. She had a son, John Whelpley b. 4MAR1873, with her in 1901. This appears to be a different Margaret.
T. B. Whelpley and Lizzie Brown, both of Portland, were m. by the Rev. Penna of the Portland Methodist Church at the home of her sister, Mrs. Alexander McDermott, 18DEC1895. Possibly a 2nd marriage? T. B. was described as a engineer of the ferry boat. This is likely Thomas B. Whelpley (b. 24MAY1862) and his wife, Elizabeth (b. 15APR1863) living with his parents, Daniel (27SEP1828) and Jane (18DEC1827) in Saint John in the 1901 census.
In Saint John, in the 1911 census, there was a Bertha Whelpley b. APR1898. Her mother was a widow, Hattie (b. SEP1865), and siblings were Isabel (MAY1894) and Herman (FEB1906.) Bertha may be the same who m. 23AUG1918 John Daniel Duffy.
There is the possibility that Hattie reverted to her maiden name, as a Bill and Hattie (Whelpley) Black had a daughter, Bertha Black, b. 9APR1897. Bertha Black m. 10SEP1906 John Hastings Wright. Hattie Whelpley had a daughter, Isabel McLouden with James McLouden where Isabel was b. 10MAY1898. Hattie Whelpley had a son, James Harold O'Brien b. 18JAN1899, with John O'Brien. Hattie appears to have d. 28JUN1929.
You do not give dates, nor when the family left NB, so it is difficult to know what to look for. The above may give you some beginnings in what can be a difficult family.