It is no use our being dogmatic or emphatic about our individual Wood theories. Dr. Wood did a good job of helping to confuse us, and the lack of primary sources has contributed to the confusion as has moving county lines. So let me add to the confusion. All is taken from web sources. I would enjoy being PROVEN wrong.
Cheers, John Richard King
Now to MY theory:
1. Thomas Wood b. 1708 married Sarah Hart b. 1715
2. Thomas b. 1735 m. Elizabeth (Elizabeth (Stovall?))
Children from will:
3. Elizabeth Wood m. Jonathon Smith
3. Phebe Wood m. Peter Purnal
3. Jeremiah Wood m. Mary Dooley
3. Josiah Wood m. Susannah Karns
3. SedeWood m. Henry Dooley
3. James Wood
3. Jonathon Wood
2. John Wood b. 1730 d. 1780 + Agnes Griffith b. 1729 d. 1785
Children from will of John: ages depend on which web site one reads:
3. John Wood. 1751 alt. 1752 (from Bedford Co. Va
3. Winifred Wood Neal b. 1760 alt 1754
3. Milley Wood b. 1762 alt 1755
3. Elizabeth b. 1764Alt 1748
3. Reachel Wood b. 1766 m. James Scarborough
3. Agness Wood b. 1768 alt 1760
3. Richard Wood b. 1770 alt 1766
3. Elijah Wood b. 1772 alt 1769
3. Henry Wood b. 1774 alt 1772
MY Theory: This John (3) died about 1812, Milly died around 1814 in Bedford
3. John Wood b. 1751 + Milly (not Mildred Smithson) (could be Elanora ?)
from the will of Milly WB4 p. 137, Bedford Co.
4. Sarah Wood Elligan
4. Elizabeth Wood Garven (2nd James Mitchell ?)
4. Susannah Wood
4. Morning Wood m. Sep. 26, 1812; Shadrack M. Crane
4. Sophia Wood Guttery
4. Milly Wood m. William Crouch
4. Silas Wood m. possibly Nancy Howard, Pos. Matilda Finch
4. William Wood b. 1797 m. Violet Crouch
Possible, not in will: Oct. 2, 1811; James H. Mitchell & Betsey Wood; John Wood, Surety
Two daughters of Milly (Susannah, Mourning) are listed in 1810 Amherst Co VA census in two adjoining houses, deeds for these houses would be Interesting. Garvin (next door to James Wood), Guttery, Mitchell are names from Amherst area.
4. William Wood b. 1797+ Violet Crouch m. Bedford Co. Violet daughter of Rolley andPolly Crouch ; Jacob Crouch, Surety
Children: from 1850 mason co, WV census
5. Silas m. America Potts
5. Joseph m. Marie Lanier Mason Co. WV
5. Joseph Woods b. 1834 + Marie Lanier
6. Sarah Catherine Woods King m. David Samuel King
6.Willia Elizabeth Woods Blaine
Jacob Crouch and Dennis Crouch went Surety for William Wood and Violet,
Jacob Crouch and Winifred Wood Neal and William Wood were neighbours in Mason Co. WV, Neals intermarried with others of my collateral Mason Co Lines.
May 9, 1823; Jacob Crouch & Elizabeth Mitchell, dt Martha; Wm. Wood, Surety;
Rev. James Mitchell Sr. married many Woods and Mitchell’s in Bedford co VA
Milly’s will witnessed by James Mitchell and Samuel Mitchell
Jan. 10, 1816; William Crouch & Mildred Woods; Shadrack Crane, Surety;
Sep. 5, 1778; Samuel Beard & Mary Mitchell; Robert Mitchell, Surety.
Jul. 29, 1780; Adam Beard & Margaret Mitchell
Dec. 19, 1782; James Mitchell, (Clerk) & Frances Rice, dt David; John Mitchell, Surety.
Apr. 16, 1799; Robert Mitchell & Mary Witt; William Crouch, Surety
Oct. 2, 1811; James H. Mitchell & Betsey Wood; John Wood, Surety; Married by Rev. James Mitchell, Oct. 3, 1811.
Jun. 1, 1816; Daniel Mitchell & Sally Wood; James H. Mitchell, Surety; Married by James Mitchell, June 4, 1816
3. James Mitchellb: January 29, 1746/47 in Pequea, Lancaster Co., PAd: February 27, 1841 in Bedford Co., VA
.......+Frances Ricem: December 19, 1782 in Bedford Co., VAFather: David RiceMother: Unknown
.......4James Harvey Mitchellb: Abt. 1783 in Bedford Co., VA
..........+Elizabeth Cityb: January 22, 1782 in Bedford Co., VAd: Abt. 1810m: February 10, 1807 in Bedford Co., VAFather: Jacob CityMother: Elizabeth Runyon
.......4Nancy D. Mitchell
..........+Stephen Chaffinm: January 28, 1815 in Bedford Co., VA
.......4Sarah D. Mitchell
..........+Samuel D. Ricem: August 19, 1817 in Bedford Co., VA
James Turner in his 69th year, and for many years officiated with the Rev.
James Mitchell as Pastor to the Peak's Congregation."
Some of the following Wood males getting married in Bedord County . Josiah, Anderson, John, Silas, Blagdon. The following are more likely grandsons of these: John, Paul, John, John, William, Charles, Paul, Wesley, James, Thomas, Bird, John B., William, James, William, William O., Tilghman A., William B., and Thomas C.
Mitchell, Beard, Crouch, City, Wood, Witt. A real Bedford Co VA mix up, perhaps by gathering information on all of the Wood’s and allied families we can sort things out.