Hope you are well. I cannot thankyou enough for all the information you've passed on, it helped to fill in a lot of the gaps. I do have one or two questions for you. One is regarding David Wotherspoon b 1836, I knew of his marriage to Ann Fairgrieve but I was wondering if he had also married Jane Cook? As I believe I found him living at West Mar Place in 1881 with his children from his previous marriage and with Jane. The one daughter, Sarah Murray Wotherspoon I believe I found living with a family named Hesse. There is a Jane Hesse listed as wife and Sarah Wotherspoon is listed as sister. So I'm not sure if this is the same lady, though the age is right.
I had also come across this burial listed in the MIs for Greenside Cemetery of Alloa: Dora Jane Rankine wife of A.R. Birt d. Aberlour 12 JUN 1878, also her aunts Jane Craig Wotherspoon d. 30 NOV 1874, Eliza Wotherspoon d. 12 SEP 1876, Mary Wotherspoon d. 2 DEC 1887, also her sister Jessie Rankine d. 23 APR 1915, Margaret Rankine d. 27 MAR 1928; also their nephew David Rankine d. 12 DEC 1936. Not sure ifthese Wotherspoons are connected but when I saw the name Jane Craig I thought there possibly might be.
It would be fascinating to find out who that other man in the picture is. That you even have one is so wonderful. I do not have many old family pictures other than ones I have been lucky enough to acquire. Too bad your father does not remember David. When I saw his birth year I thought maybe he might have maybe known them. But families are that way sometimes you see some more than others or some not at all.
As for Christina's family I will try and outline them quickly as my Bisset records continue to bloom.
Peter/Patrick Bisset (b. 7 May 1769) Kilspindie; m 8 Jan 1790 Euphame Bruce
1) Mary Bisset (b. 14 Mar 1790/d. 6 Apr 1874 in Fife) Kilspindie; m. 12 Dec 1808 in Kilspindie to Craigie Gardiner
2) Robert Bisset (b.31 July 1793 Kilspindie)
3) ElizabethBisset (b.22 Nov 1795 Kilspindie)
4) Euphame Bisset (b.24 Jan 1802 Kilspindie)
5) William Bisset (b.24 Aug 1806 Kilspindie/d. 1884 New Brunswick,Canada) m. 1836 in Dundee to Euphemia Taylor; This family emigrated to Canada about 1874.
6) Peter Bisset (b.31 May 1812 Kilspindie)
7) Craigie Bisset (b. 5 June 1809; d. betw 1846 and 1851) m.12 Apr 1834 in Liff Benvie and Invergowrie to Elisabeth Morris; (b. 1812/d. 14 Jun 1863 Lochee consumption) daughter of John Morris (sheeting weaver) and Elspeth Porter.
Craigie and Elisabeth's children: Children of Craigie Bisset and Elizabeth Morris all born in Liff parish, Forfarshire, probably in Lochee village: This family can be found in the 1851 census Mid Row, Lochee.
1) Peter Bisset(weaver b. 1834; m. 27 Nov 1860 in Dundee)to Ann Nicoll Mudie (weaver). Ann was the daughter of James Innes Mudie and Catherine Nicoll (b. 12 Apr 1835 in Dundee)
2) Elizabeth Morris Bisset (weaver b. 1835; d. 31 Jan 1907 from Suppurative cholecystitis, Dundee) m. 26 Aug 1857 in Lochee to John Thoms (mason's labourer) son of John Thom and Jean Fyffe (b. 12 Sep 1835 Alyth)
*3) Craigie Bisset (weaver b. 16 Jul 1837; d. 1913 Dundee) m. 24 Jun 1859 in Angus to Margaret Crichton (jute weaver b. 1839 Kirkcaldy, Fife) daughterof William Crichton (weaver) and Elisabeth Pithie. Margaret died 6 Apr 1911 Dundee from chronic bronchitis, cardiac failure.
4) John Bisset (b. 1840 Forfarshire; d. 1857 Dundee)
5) AgnesBisset (b. 1844 Forfarshire)
6) Euphemia Bisset (b. 1847 Forfarshire)
Children for Craigie and Margaret Bisset 1) ElizabethBisset (b. 1 April 1860 Dundee/ d. 5 Feb 1863 Dundee from wasting) 2) Craigie Bisset (b. 19 Dec. 1862, Lochee/d. 2 Sep 1865 Kirkcaldy) 3) Agnes Bisset ( jute mill worker b. 12 April 1865, Liff & Benvie / d. 1938 Canada) m. 27 Mar 1885 to David Fraser 4) Margaret Crichton Bisset (jute weaver b. 8 Feb. 1868 Lochee) This is my great grandmother 5) William Bisset (b. 4 April 1871 Ferryport on Craig, Fife; d. 15 Jun 1872 measles Dundee) 6) Christina Crichton Bisset (weaver b. 20 April 1873 Lochee ) m. 9 Aug 1899 Dundee to David Wotherspoon age 27, spirit dealer's assistant residing 9 Peddie Street Dundee. Christina 26, jute weaver, lived on 33 Liff Road, Lochee. Marriage took place at Morison Church Hall Dundee by William May minister of St. Luke's Parish Lochee. Witnesses were Charles Symons and M. McConnell. 7) Craigie Bisset (b. 10 June 1876 Kirkcaldy, Fife; d. Townhead) m. 28 Dec 1901 Lochee to Margaret Clark (b. 1878 Dundee/d. Townhead) 8) Anna Bisset (yarn winder b. abt 1879 Kirkcaldy, Fife ) 9) Lily Bisset (yarn winder b. abt 1881 Cupar, Fife
My great grandmother never married as far as I know. I do know she bore two illegitimate children, one being my grandfather. I do know the paternity for both children as she did take the fathers to court. 1) Margaret Ann Bisset (b. 10 Jun 1890 Dundee). Margaret Ann was the daughter of a soldier William Low. She was a jute weaver and married 1 Jan 1914 to James McGregor. James was born about 1894 in Scotland to James McGregor and Elizabeth McVeigh. This family emigrated to New York City in the mid to late 1920s.
2) David Fraser Bissett, *note spelling change extra "t" added* my grandfather was named after his Aunt Agnes' husband. (b. 14 Nov 1892 Lochee/ d. 22 Dec 1964 Brooklyn, NY from natural causes, he is buried in Greenwood Cemetery) He had various jobs working with machinery. He is the son of Margaret and George Patterson Whamond. George married another lady Letitia Wishart just 3 yrs after my grandfather was born and I believe theWhamonds lived just a few doors down from the Bissets must have been interesting. My grandfather married Janet Sharp (b. 9 Feb 1907 Glasgow/d. 7 Mar 1992 Lexington, MA) She was the daughter of William Sharp and Jane Henderson. My grandparents with my dad and great grandmother Margaret emigrated to NYC in 1929. They can be found in the 1930 census living with Margaret Ann (my grandfather's half sister) and her family.
David and Janet only had one child my dad, William Sharp Bissett (b. 23 Nov 1927 Glasgow). He married Helen Smolak (b. 5 Aug 1928 Brooklyn, NY/d. 22 Aug 2003 NY) There are three of us, my brother William (b.27 Mar 1955) my sisterSusan (b. 6 Sep 1956), and me, Ellen (b. 25 Aug 1963) We were all born in Brooklyn, NY. I married in 1990 and have one daughter.
This is a lot to take in but I wanted to send this off tonight. We are renovating our kitchen and things are topsy turvy, it seems they will be finished up tomorrow so now all the dishes and whatnot have to go back. I wasn't sure when I'd be able to get back to you but I wanted to thank you for all your help. When and if you are able to find anything out about Christina and David any info would be greatly appreciated.