I am interested in any further information regarding any of the following people....If anyone finds that they are related to any of these family lines or if you are one of the following people and you can make a correction or addition please feel free to email me at TDCullingford@aol.com...Also looking for old family photes for the Yarmel family; Adam & Victoria and their children~grandchildren...etc, George & Katherine and their children~grandchildren...etc.
1. Adam Yarmel- b. abt. 1874....d. 1930 (coal mining accident)...m. Victoria Staniukenas- b. abt. 1873...d. 1939...they were married abt. 1898....Adam arrived at the Port at Ellis Island, NY from Antwerp aboard the ship Noorland on Aug. 16, 1900 and it is stated that he will be joining his brother-in-law Kazimir Staniukunas in Edwardsville, PA.....Victoria and their eldest son Frank later joined Adam in the United States arriving in 1903....Adam, Victoria and Frank remained aliens in this country until 1912 when they where all naturalized (according to the 1920 census).
Around the time of Adam's immigration to the U.S. Lithuania was going through many political changes....These changes are also reflected over the years as Adams nationality is stated as being Russian or Russian/Lithuanian in many official documents such as the U.S. census....By 1920 the in the Federal census Adam's nationality is stated as being Lithuanian....A breif history of Lithuania explains these changes:....
Over the years there were also some changes with the Yarmel name....Upon Adam's arrival in the U.S. his last name is stated as "Jarmola"....In the 1910 census the name changed again to "Yermula"...Then in the 1920 census it is shown as we know it today "Yarmel".There were usually two main reasons for such changes to surnames...One reason was to "Americanize" the name to better fit in...The other reason was simply the fact that most immigrants could not read, write, or even speak English, so census takers and transcribers recorded the name as they heard it or as it sounded...this caused the spelling to change quite frequently in many official documents.
Adam and Victoria settled in Kingston, Luzerne County in eastern Pennsylvania and resided at 9 Roosevelt st. where Adam worked as a coal miner. Adam had a brother named George who also immigrated to the United States.
2. Frank- b. Sep. 17, 1899 in Lithuania.....d. March 1975 in Clearwater, Fla...m. Anna Dooutch- b. abt. Sep. 25, 1902....It is said that Anna did not know her real birthdate so she adopted the birthday of her son-in-laws mother (Helen Peronne Mckean). whether this is fact or fiction is unknown, but they ironically do have the same birthdate.
3. Helen- b. May 16, 1926....d. Feb. 1987....m. Carlton Mckean...They divorced sometime between 1955-65 and Helen had another child with Joe___?
4. Valerie Ann Mckean-
4. Bradley Mckean- b. Mar. 15, 1951...d. 1972
4. Leslie Adam Mckean- b. Aug. 5, 1955...d. as infant Aug. 8, 1955
Children: (Helen and Joe___?)
3. Frank Jr.- b.Dec. 11, 1928...d. Mar. 12, 1990 in Newport Richey, Fla...worked for the RailRoad..SS# issued from RR retirement board.
2. William Peter- b. Feb. 16, 1904 (twin~?) in Kingston, PA...d. May 6,1983 in San Fransisco, CA......married____?.
2. Veronica- b. Feb. 16, 1904 (twin~?) in Kingston...m. ___?
3. Bill (William?)-
2. Anna- b. abt. 1906 in Kingston...d. ___?....m. Barry Newman
2. Margaret- b. Mar. 8, 1907 in Kingston...d.___?...m. Stanley Kuchemba
3. Richard Kuchemba-
3. Nacy Kuchemba-
2. Joseph- b. July 23, 1908 in Kingston...d. June 1972 in Kingston...m. Amelia Zolnierowicz
2. Konstant- b. May 29, 1910 in Kingston...d. May 1984 in Kingston...m. Wanda Olshefski- b. Aug. 2, 1914...d. Dec. 1977
3. Barbara-...d. 1991
3. Richard- died as a result of a accident on his bicycle at age 12.
2. John- b. June 10, 1912 in Kingston...d. May 1983 in Kingston...m. Mary___?
1. George- b. abt. 1876-1880...d.___?.....m. Katherine____?- b. abt. 1880-1889...d.___?....They were married abt. 1906-1910....(dates and ages differ. in census's). George arrived through the port at Ellis Island, Ny from the port at Rotterdam aboard the ship Potsdam on Sep. 15, 1901, his name upon arrival is shown as "Jersy Jarmala" and it is stated that he will be joining his brother "A. Ermala" in Edwardsville, Pa.. George and Katherine are shown to be living with Adam and Victoria in the 1910 census, his name is shown as "Urggis" Yermula.
2. Anna C.- b. Aug.27, 1910...d. Apr. 15, 1997 in Kingston....M. Stanley Lukasavage
2. John- b. May 15, 1912...d. Nov. 1974
2. William L.- b. Aug. 10, 1914...d. Jan. 16, 1989
2. Walter- b. Dec. 19, 1916...d. Aug. 12, 1994 in Plymouth, Luzerne Co., PA.
Again, any further info, additions, corrections, or Photos would be greatly appreciated!