The Moser , Mosser , Musser Families of Pennsylvania :Information about Johann Martin Moser
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Johann Martin Moser (b. Abt. 1699, d. Bef. 1743)Johann Martin Moser (son of Johannes George Moser and Eva Eckersweiler) was born Abt. 1699 in Strassburg, Alasce,Germany, and died Bef. 1743 in New Hanover Twp , Philadelphia County, Pa.He married Margaretha Kunkel on Abt. 1722 in Geinhausen , Hessen , Germany.
Notes for Johann Martin Moser:
John Martin Mosser arrived inPhiladelphia September11 1728 on the ship"JAMES GOODWILL ". He is on the manifest list as from the Palatines in Germany . They boarded the ship in Rotterdam . The ship's commander was David Crockett . No women and children are listed on the manifest. There is no other persons with that name on the adventurer manifast .Family legend isthat John Martinarrived on the same ship as his 4brothers and there families that appearsto not be correct .
On another shiproster there are others with similar names that could be relatives .The are as follows : Hans Adam Moesser ,Martin Moesser , Johan Adam Moser,Martin Moser .There were 42 families on that ship.There is were 4 men8 women 6 children by the name Moser on the Adventure whichlanded September 23 1932 in Philadelphia .
[ See Pennsylvania German Society , volume 39, Page 8, under German Immigrants " to read of his arrival and settling }
John Martin Mosser and familysettled in Perkiomen Creek Valley (Goshenhoppen) of Philadelphia County . which became Montgomery county in 1784 .The family were members of the New Hanover( Falkner's Swamp) Lutheran Church
[FromLynn Township Historical Society Publication , Spring 2002 , Volume 3 Issue 2 .Written by Virginia Snyder Christman and Carol Snyder Shirley .]
Some Analysis of Name Origin
Frequently surnames are associated with occupation of the original name bearer . If that is the case the name may find its source in the German term "moeser or moser or Muser. These are all from Gemuse and denote
" a handler of vegetables ". The other source may be from the original origin and could relate to Moseler from the Moorlands of Spain.In 1506 a Michel Mueser was registered as residing in Reichenweier . He had a coat of arms of 3 Bees and an anchor of azure . His crest was 3 stars above a bee hive .
More About Johann Martin Moser and Margaretha Kunkel:
Marriage: Abt. 1722, Geinhausen , Hessen , Germany.
Children of Johann Martin Moser and Margaretha Kunkel are:
- +Frederick (Moser) Mosier, b. 1724, Strassburg, Alasce Lorraine ,Germany, d. February 21, 1800, Orange NC.
- Margaretta (Moser) Mosser, b. Abt. 1726, Goshenhoppen Pa.
- Maria Barbara (Moser) Mosser, b. 1727, Goshenhoppen ( Bally ), Montgomery County .Pa.
- +Johannes Philip (Moser) Mosser, b. Abt. 1730, Perkiomen Valley , Goshenhoppen ( Bally ), Montgomery County .Pa, d. January 27, 1817, Mosserville , Lynn Twp , Lehigh County , Pa.
- John Michael(Moser) Mosier, b. May 30, 1734, Goshenhoppen ( Bally ), Montgomery County .Pa, d. March 10, 1820, Lowhill Township . Lehigh County Pa.
- +Burkhardt (Moser) Mosser, b. 1736, Perkiomen Valley , Goshenhoppen ( Bally ), Montgomery County .Pa, d. 1807, Mosserville , Lynn TwpLehigh County, Pa.