The Family of Drake, Arroyo, Arguello, Ortegas of CA:Information about Gabriel Moraga
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Gabriel Moraga (b. 1765, d. June 14, 1823)Gabriel Moraga (son of Josef Joaquin Moraga and Maria Del Pilar Leon Y Barcelo) was born 1765 in Fronteras, Sonora, Mexico, and died June 14, 1823 in Santa Barbara, Alta, CA.He married (1) Ana Maria Bernal on August 02, 1784 in Mission Delores, San Francisco, CA, daughter of Juan Bernal and Maria De Soto.He married (2) Joaquina Alvarado on July 27, 1806 in Mission San Gabriel, CA, daughter of Francisco Alvarado and Maria Amador.
Notes for Gabriel Moraga:
Enlisted in San Fransico Company Dec 1, 1783.Commandante of Presidio Mission.Also founded the Santa Clara Mission.Was an Explorer who named the Merced, Kings, San Joaquin and Sacramento Rivers. Experienced 46 sorties against the native american indians.Lieutenant for San Barbara in 1817.Gov. Jose Arrillaga sent a number of expeditions into the interior both to punish marauding Indians and to locate desireable sites for a chain of inland missions similar to those along the coast.Gabriel Moraga played a leading role in these expeditions ranging from the Cajon Pass (now called the El Cajon Pass) and the Mojave villages of the Mojave desert and the upper Sacramento river area.Amoung other notable explorations, Moraga visited and named the San Joaquin River.He was buried at the Santa Barbara Mission.His explorations gave the Spaniards a fairly accurate knowledge of the interior of California.
He discovered the interior valley and they named Moraga Valley after him.He reached the position of Lieutenant by 1818.
More About Gabriel Moraga:
Military service 1: Commandante of Presidio Mission.
Military service 2: Founded Santa Clara Mission.
Occupation: Expolorer who names merced, kings, san joaquin, and sacramento rivers.
More About Gabriel Moraga and Ana Maria Bernal:
Marriage: August 02, 1784, Mission Delores, San Francisco, CA.
More About Gabriel Moraga and Joaquina Alvarado:
Marriage: July 27, 1806, Mission San Gabriel, CA.
Children of Gabriel Moraga and Ana Maria Bernal are:
- Jose Vicente Moraga, b. January 23, 1790, d. Bet. 1791 - 1880.
- Rafaela Antonia Moraga, b. October 29, 1786, Mission Santa Clara, CA, d. Bet. 1787 - 1880.
- Ignacio Moraga, b. August 18, 1788, Mission San Carlos de Monterey, CA, d. 1810.
- +Ynocencia Moraga, b. October 24, 1791, Mission San Carlos de Monterey, CA, d. 1830.
- +Joaquin Trinadad De La Santisma Moraga, b. May 28, 1793, Mission San Carlos de Monterey, CA, d. 1855.
- Jose Guadalupe Moraga, b. January 02, 1795, Mission Santa Clara, d. 1821, Mission San Gabriel, Alta, CA.
- Dominga Moraga, b. May 11, 1797, d. 1822.
- Matilda Moraga, b. September 14, 1800, d. 1801.
- Luisa Moraga, b. September 25, 1801, d. 1810.
Children of Gabriel Moraga and Joaquina Alvarado are:
- +Josef Benjamin Bueneventura Moraga, b. July 14, 1810, Royal Preidio, San Fransico, d. November 04, 1885, San Buenaventura, Alta, California.
- Joaquina Maxima Moraga, b. May 12, 1807, d. Bet. 1808 - 1901.
- +Vincente Antonio Moraga, b. October 13, 1808, Mission San Gabriel, Alta, CA, d. 1852.
- Francisca de la llagas Moraga, b. September 17, 1812, d. Bet. 1813 - 1906.
- Rafaela Moraga, b. 1813, Santa Barbara, CA, d. Bet. 1814 - 1907.