- Painting ofRio Grande, Eddie Chavez (105 KB)
Eddie Triviz Chavez, husband of Amelia(Mela) Banegas was born in Picacho, New Mexico on November 7, 1912.He was a commercial artist, his colorful work includes murals at La Posta Resturant in Old Mesilla. He said this view of the Rio Grande and Organ mountains reminded him of his childhood home.
- Chief Geronimo by Eddie Chavez (92 KB)
Besides being a creative artist, Eddie Chavez, husband of Amelia(Mela) Banegas, was a wonderful story teller.He did this portrait of Geronimo that was the subject of many stories told by the early settlers of New Mexico.
- Estevan V. Banegas as infant (83 KB)
Estevan(Tevano) Vera Banegas at 6 months of age
- Estevan V. Banegas at 3 years (54 KB)
Estevan(Tevano) Vera Banegas at 3 years of age
- Dona Margarita and her chickens (59 KB)
Margarita Vera Banegas always had a flock of hens in her yard to produce eggs and meat for the table. Picture taken early 1940's, child unknown.
- Brothers Steve and Pat Banegas, 1994 (584 KB)
Brothers Estevan(Steve)B. Banegas and Patrick Banegas visit the Vietnam Memorial Wall in Washington DC, about 1994.
- Dona Margarita and new grandson (85 KB)
Margarita Banegas and new grandson Estevan Brown Banegas, 1941, San Isidro, NM
- Margarita Vera with mother and brother (92 KB)
Juanita Vera with children Margarita Vera (later married Estevan T. Banegas) and Isabel Vera (later married Estefana Banegas). Taken late 1890's in Winston, New Mexico Territory.
- Don Estevan and granddaughters (87 KB)
Estevan T. Banegas with two grandaughters and one great-grand-daughter.
- E.B. Banegas at Virginia Tech University (67 KB)
Estevan B. Banegas, Board of Directors of Virginia Tech Intellectual Property, Inc., Virginia Tech University, Blacksburg, Virginia, 1994-2000
- Josephine Brown with children in 1942 (77 KB)
Josephine Brown Banegas in 1942 with Margaret (Peggy), Steve Jr., and Minerva.Farm in Hatch,NM
- Agnes Banegas in 1940 (74 KB)
Agnes Banegas Salais, eldest daughter of Estevan T. Banegas, in 1940, in California
- Amanda Banegas in garden (52 KB)
Amanda Banegas with blooming "Peonies".Her favorite past times are gardening and cooking.
- Corina Banegas and Tillie Banegas (89 KB)
Corina Barela Banegas, Tillie Arrey Banegas, and Walt Weislek, Jr.,in California in about 1950
- Children of Mae Banegas-Wasson (70 KB)
Sha-Marie, Maegan,"Hank" Wasson in 1995
- Wasson fishing trip (783 KB)
"Hank" and sister Maegan show the Choho Salmon caught in Oregon in 1985.Both are children of Edna Mae Banegas-Wasson.
- News Article- Chile supplier (151 KB)
Estevan V. Banegas(Tevano) grows large supply of red chile for Ashleys of El Paso, Texas. 1938 Article El Paso Newspaper.
- Steve and Amanda Banegas -Year 2000 (28 KB)
Estevan B. Banegas and wife Amanda Martin-Banegas celebrate 30 years of marriage in the year 2000.
- Pete Banegas, 1991 (70 KB)
Pete Banegas, son of Estevan T. Banegas, 1991 at home in Dona Ana, NM
- Elvia, Corina, Tillie Banegas, and Olga Melendez (96 KB)
Elvia Banegas and her mother Corina Barela Banegas, Tillie Arrey Banegas, Olga Banegas Melendez, in 1991
- Henrietta Contreras, daughter of Agnes Banegas (52 KB)
Henrietta Salais Contreras, daughter of Agnes Banegas in 1991
- Victoria Banegas awarded Ph.D. Degree (89 KB)
Dr. Victoria Banegas Gonzales, grand-daughter of Estevan T. Banegas was awarded a Ph.D. degree from New Mexico State University in 1997.
- NM State Univ. Article- EstevanB. Banegas, 1998 (396 KB)
In 1998, New Mexico State University Alumni Magazine reviewed the life and career of Estevan (Steve) B. Banegas.
- Inez Banegas and daughter Olga (63 KB)
Inez Banegas Melendez, daughter of Estevan T. Banegas, with daughter Olga Melendez
- Peggy Banegas on wedding day (45 KB)
Margaret (Peggy) Banegas, grand-daughter of Estevan T. Banegas, weds Frank Bustamante in Rodey, NM
- Children ofEstevan V. Banegas, 1997 (106 KB)
In 1997,all living children of Estevan Vera Banegas gather to celebrate the Doctorate degree of sister Victoria Banegas Gonzales
- Minerva Banegas and husband James Robles (63 KB)
In 1985, James Robles and wife Minerva Banegas, grand-daughter of Estevan T. Banegas
- Grand children of Minerva Banegas Robles (147 KB)
In September, 1999 all of the grand children of Minerva and James Robles gather in Dona Ana,NM
- Tevano Banegas and Amanda viewing red chile (112 KB)
in 1970, Estevan (Tevano) Vera Banegas shows his new Daughter-in-law, Amanda Martin, the red chile being dried on sand hills behind his farm in Hatch, NM
- Estevan Tellez Banegas wedsMargarita Vera, 1908 (87 KB)
Estevan Tellez Banegas of Dona Ana, New Mexico weds Margarita Vera of Winston, New Mexico on January 20, 1908
- Familia Banegas in Coronado 400 YearCelebration (177 KB)
On July 25, 1940, the Familia Banegas rides in the Coronado Parade in Las Cruces, New Mexico celebrating the 400 year anniversery of the arrival of Coronado the spanish conquistador.
- Margarita Vera de Banegas in 1912, age 22 (53 KB)
Margarita Vera de Banegas at the age of 22, wife of Estevan Tellez Banegas, taken in Las Cruces, New Mexico in September,1912 .
- Three Generations of Estevans' (53 KB)
Three generation of Estevan Banegas. From the right:Estevan Tellez Banegas, his son Estevan Vera Banegas, and his grandson Estevan Brown Banegas. Taken in 1946 on the farm of Don Estevan in San Isidro, New Mexico, located near the Village of Dona Ana, New Mexico
- Beverly Chavez Floyd at La Posta in Mesilla, NM (151 KB)
During Christmas 1999, Beverly Chavez Floyd show her decoration of La Posta in Mesilla, NM to husband Greg Floyd, mother Amelia (Mela) Chavez, and cousin Steve Banegas.
- Sgt.Estevan Vera Banegas, 1944 Nice, France (168 KB)
Along with his brother Pete and Don, Estevan Vera Banegas served as an Army Paratrouper during World War II.He was awarded the Combat Infantry Badge, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, among others.After the war, he was active in the Veterans of Foreign Wars, including the VFW "Coodies" organization.He raised his family on a farm he settled in 1939 in Hatch, New Mexico. See related Story below -"Citizen Soldiers".
- Manuel Banegas & wife Inez Telles (869 KB)
The parents of Estevan T. Banegas.Manuel was an early 1842 settler of the original Dona Ana Bend Colony under land grants by the government of Mexico.
- Marine Captain Estevan B. Banegas (56 KB)
Estevan Brown Banegas, grandson of Estevan Tellez Banegas, was a Captain in the US Marine Corps and served in Vietnam during 1965 to 1966.He was awarded the Cross of Galantry with Silver Star by the Government of South Vietnam for "leading a successful operation with the South Vietnam Marines in August of 1965, inflicting great damage to the Viet Cong enemy".
- Corrine Banegas, age 88 (195 KB)
Corrine Banegas-Cleghorn visits the Catholic church in Dona Ana, NM
- Pete Vera Banegas joins the Army in WW II (67 KB)
In 1942, Pete Vera Banegas leaves home to join the Army and serve in WWII.He saw extensive action with his unit in North Africa, Italy, France and Germany. Here at the family farm in San Isidro, New Mexico with his father Don Estevan and sister Velza Banegas de Weislek.See relate story below- "Citizen Soldiers".
- Patrick and Margaret Banegas (124 KB)
Patrick Banegas and wife Margaret Lara who is from Arrey, NM.Pat is involved in community water sytems.Margaret teaches School in Las Cruces, NM
- Estevan B. Banegas weds Amanda Martin (65 KB)
Estevan B. Banegas, grandson of Estevan T. Banegas, married Amanda Veronica Martin Velez in New York in 1970. Amanda was born in Puerto Rico, her mother is Horacia Velez Feliciano and her father Antonio Martin Cintron, son of Arturo Martin born in Barcelona, Spain.
- Sarah Duran-Barela and daughter Julie (163 KB)
Julie Sunshine Barela was born in Kentucky in Feburary, 2000 were her father David Barela is stationed at Fort Campbell.
- Rudy and Raymond Vera (209 KB)
Rudy and Raymond are sons of Isabel Vera, the brother of Margareta Vera-Banegas.They are both retired in El Paso, Texas and travel to find and visit relatives of the Banegas and Vera family.
- Pietro Vera (33 KB)
Pietro Vera, father of Isabel and Margarita Vera.He immigrated from Genova, Italy to Mexico where he was a traveling musician.
- Primo Banegas (205 KB)
Primo Banegas served in the US Marine Corps and now works for the County of Dona Ana.
- Gary Banegas, June, 2000 (150 KB)
Gary served in the "Green Beret" US Special Forces of the US Army.
- Home of Estevan T. Banegas, San Ysidro, NM (303 KB)
See story "Our People" on this website
- San Ysidro Church (240 KB)
See related Story "Our People" on this website
- Carolina Banegas, daughter of Ysabel Banegas, 1974 (291 KB)
See related Story "Our People" on this website
- Diego Banegas sent to fight Poncho Villa (292 KB)
Diego is the son of Isabel Banegas, who is the son of Manuel Banegas.In 1916, at the age of about 20, Diego Banegas was with the New Mexico National Guard sent to Columbus, New Mexico in response to the attack on US territory by Poncho Villa.
- Ella Banegas Curry, co-author of "Our People" (378 KB)
Ella Banegas Curry is the youngest child of Estevan and Margarita Banegas.See excerpts from her book "Our People" on the WebSite.
- Jonah and Izaiah Escalantes (14 KB)
Izaiah Escalantes holds his new brother Jonah.Both are children of Jacky Robles-Escalantes
- Estevan & Margarita Banegas - in their later years (157 KB)
Estevan & Margarita Banegas, picture taken some time in the 1930's
- Jim Banegas & John Robles (141 KB)
John Robles(son of Minerva Banegas-Robles) and his Uncle Jim Banegas with daughter Ana-Lisa and son Daniel.
- Twins - Daniel (Don) & Amelia(Mela) Banegas (562 KB)
Twins born of Estevan and Margarita Banegas
- Jim and Josie Banegas (165 KB)
Jim Banegas and wife Josie Ortega.
- Erminia(Corrine)& Amelia(Mela) Banegas , 1944 (63 KB)
Sister Corrine and Mela, daughters of Estevan and Margarita Banegas
- Daniel Banegas (188 KB)
Daniel, son of Jim and Josie Banegas, with minature pony while living in Texarkana, Texas
- Velza, Corrine & Ella Banegas with nieces (304 KB)
In 1942, Henrietta and Irene -- daughters of Angelita(Agnes) Banegas-- at San Isidro farm with aunts Velza, Corrine and Ella Banegas
- Matthew and Jacob Banegas (135 KB)
Matthew and Jacob, sons of Patrick and Margaret Banegas, riding a horse adapted by Jim Banegas through the BLM wild horse program.
- ThanksgivingatMela &Eddie Chavez (137 KB)
Amelia(Mela)Banegas and husband Eddie Chavez celebrate Thanksgiving with father Don Estevan, brothers Estevan(Tevano) and Pete Banegas, and cousin Jim Ackenbach, Jr.
- Jim Banegas (223 KB)
Jim Banegas using pair of Belgium draft horses to plant oats in South Dakota.
- Beverly and Greg Floydfamily (195 KB)
Beverly Banegas Chavez and husband Greg Floyd and sons James and John. June, 2000
- Estevan T. Banegas weds first wife Catarina (56 KB)
Estevan T. Banegas weds Catarina Herrera, she died young in the 1890's during a severe national flu epidemic.
- Daniel Banegas, 1951 (50 KB)
Daniel Banegas, son of Estevan T. Banegas visits sister Corrine in Santa Monica, California in 1951
- Estevan & Margarita Banegas, 1920 (53 KB)
Estevan T. Banegas and wife Margarita Vera, taken about 1920