My Genealogy Home Page:Information about Thomas Little
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Thomas Little (b. Abt. 1806, d. March 12, 1883)Thomas Little (son of Andrew Little)97 was born Abt. 1806 in County Armagh, Northern Ireland (no proof found), and died March 12, 1883 in Townland of Drumgor, Parish of Seagoe, Co. Armagh98.He married (1) Mary Wilson on August 03, 1830 in Ardmore Church, Townland of Derryadd, Parish of Montiaghs, Co. Armagh99, 100.He married (2) Jane Guthridge on August 05, 1853 in Ardmore Church, Townland of Derryadd, Parish of Montiaghs, Co. Armagh101, daughter of Thomas Guthridge.
Notes for Thomas Little:
Toronto Reference Library, March 14, 2003.
1. In "Griffiths Primary Valuation 1845 - 1864" microfiche number 7 for County Armagh, Thomas Little was named as a tenant in the Townland of Ardmore, Parish of Montiaghs, Barony of Oneilland East, Union of Lurgan, County Armagh.
The Townland of Ardmore is on the Ordnance Map, sheets 2, 3 & 5.
The details of the entry are as follows:
Map reference number: 22
Name: Thomas Little
Immediate lessor: Lord Lurgan
Description of tenement: House, land and Turbary
Area: 8 acres 2 roods 25 perches
Rateable annual valuation: Land, £1.0.0. Building, £0.15.0.
Total valuation of rateable property: £1.15.0.
(I took a copy of the page)
2. In the Tithe Applotment Books, microfilm T6171at the Toronto Reference Library, index of surnames for the six counties of Northern Ireland listed alphabetically, I found Thomas Little in the Townland of Derryadda, County Armagh for the year 1834 in the Parish of Moyntaghs. There was no entry for Little's in the Townland of Ardmore.
For more details, I then searched microfilm number 0258465, Tithe Applotment Book for Northern Ireland, parishes Magherfelt to Mullabrack and found Thomas Little in the Diocese of Dromore, Parish of Moyntaghs, Townland of Derryadda. He was occupying a very small piece of land, 0 acres 0 roods 1 perch. The quality of the land was first.
MY NOTES: It seems that Thomas was living in the Townland of Derryadd (used to be called Derryadda) in 1834, prior to moving to the Townland of Ardmore some where between 1842 and 1845.
The ten Townlands in the Parish of Moyntaghs/Montiaghs are;
ArdmoreBallyneryDerryaddDerrycorDerryinverDerrylosteDerrymacashDerry NorthDerry SouthDerrytrasna
The average size of a townland in Ireland is 300 acres. There are 64,000 plus townlands in Ireland. Knowing the name of the family's townland makes the search for ancestors much much easier.
PRONI April 3, 2003
VAL/12B/14/11 A TO E - Five hard copy volumes that update the original Griffith's Valuation of 1845 - 1864.
VOLUME A, September 1864 to November 13, 1878: Thomas Little remained the tenant throughout this period.
VOLUME B, November 14, 1878 to December 9, 1890: Andrew Little replaced Thomas Little as tenant in 1882. Thomas Little (presumably the son) replaced Andrew Little in 1883.
VOLUME C, December 10, 1890 to 1900: Lydia Little replaced Thomas as tenant in 1893. Sara Stevenson replaced Lydia in 1895. In 1896 Plot 22 and 22A were joined to form 16 acres 3 roods 10 perches.
VOLUMES D & E: Were not reviewed because the land had moved out of the hands of the Littles.
MY NOTES ON THE GRIFFITH'S VALUATION UPDATES:
Andrew returned to Ardmore from India in 1880/81 and replaced his father as tenant.
When Andrew returned to India in 1883 his brother Thomas replaced him as tenant.
When Thomas died, Lydia Little became the tenant in 1893. I haven't found the marriage record of Thomas and Lydia. But her entitlement to the tenancy would indicate that Lydia was his wife.
PRONI/VAL/12D/2/2D, 3A, 5B - Ordnance Maps, sheets 2, 3 & 5.
At the Ordnance Survey Office, on Stranmillis Road in Belfast, I purchased a scaled map that shows Plot 22 where Thomas Little rented 8 acres from Lord Lurgan.
D/1928 - Brownlow Papers. Charles Brownlow was otherwise known as Lord Lurgan who was Thomas' landlord.
D/1928/R/2/44, Rental of the Estates of the Rt. Hon. Lord Brownlow ending November 1, 1845.
Thomas Little appeared as a tenant for the first time. He was not shown as a tenant in the year ending November 1, 1844.
His entry was marked "Increase". His rent was £2.10.0. His arrears were £5.0.0. (NOTE: These arrears covered the earlier periods, indicating that his tenancy began between two and three years before. I estimate that Thomas became the tenant of this property in the year endng November 1, 1842.
D/1928/R/2/47-60 for the years 1846 to 1858. In 1846 Thomas was renting, Acres 4.0.0. at an annual rent of £2.10.0. By 1854, acres 7.1.13., rent £3.13.0. By 1858 acres 9.1.38., rent £6.0.0. (NOTE: This last acreage must have been where Thomas was living when the Griffiths Primary Valuation was done.
PRONI April 7, 2003
D/1928/R/2/104 Rental of the Estates of the Rt. Hon. Lord Brownlow ending November 1, 1880.
Andrew Little was named as the tenant renting Acres 9.1.38 at an annual rent of £9.0.0. The rent arrears were £13.8.3. and the annual rent was due. On October 5, 1880 £17.18.3. was paid and on January 27, 1881 the balance of £4.10.0. was paid. The rent booksup to year ending November 1, 1888 continued to show Andrew as the tenant. Ardmore rents were not in the records after 1888. (NOTE: Andrew was back in India during this latter period so the rent books were in error. The Griffiths Valuation updates reflect Andrew's departure from Ireland in 1883.
More About Thomas Little and Mary Wilson:
Marriage: August 03, 1830, Ardmore Church, Townland of Derryadd, Parish of Montiaghs, Co. Armagh.102, 103
Marriage Notes for Thomas Little and Mary Wilson:
PRONI MIC/1/78, Marriages Parish of Montiaghs, Diocese of Dromore, page 64 No. 37.
Banns for the marriage between Thomas Little and Mary Wilson both of the Parish of Ardmore were published in this church on the dates underwritten - July 18, 1830, July 25, 1830, August 1, 1830.
On August 3, 1830 Thomas Little and Mary Wilson were married in the church and Parish of Ardmore by the publication of Banns by D.W. Mcmullen. Thomas and Mary both acknowledged the solemnization by signing their marks, an X. Witnesses were Francis Maguire and Robert Humphries (a third witness name was unreadable).
More About Thomas Little and Jane Guthridge:
Marriage: August 05, 1853, Ardmore Church, Townland of Derryadd, Parish of Montiaghs, Co. Armagh.104
Marriage Notes for Thomas Little and Jane Guthridge:
Ardmore Church 1853 Register of Marriages, page 26, entry number 51, Parish of Moyntaghs
On August 5, 1853 Thomas Little, a widower aged 40 from Ardmore and Jane Guthridge, a spinster aged 30 from Derryadd,were married in Ardmore Church by license by John E. Lewis. Thomas's occupation was labourer and Jane was a weaver. The father's names and occupations were Andrew Little, labourer, and Thomas Guthridge also a labourer. Thomas signed his own name and Jane acknowledged the solemnization by making her Mark, an X. Witnesses were Robert Murphy and Joseph Humphries.
Children of Thomas Little and Mary Wilson are:
- William John Little, b. February 15, 1833, Townland of Ardmore, Parish of Montiaghs, Co. Armagh105, 106, d. Bef. September 07, 1854, Townland of Derryadd, Parish of Montiaghs, Co. Armagh.
- Thomas Little, b. July 19, 1836, Townland of Ardmore, Parish of Montiaghs, Co. Armagh107, d. Bef. July 11, 1892, Townland of Ardmore, Parish of Montiaghs, Co. Armagh.
- +Andrew Little, b. October 09, 1839, Townland of Ardmore, Parish of Montiaghs, Co. Armagh,108, d. April 03, 1926, Dehra Dun, Bengal, India.
- Margaret Ann Little, b. March 14, 1842, Townland of Ardmore, Parish of Montiaghs, Co. Armagh109.
Children of Thomas Little and Jane Guthridge are:
- +Jeremiah Little, b. May 13, 1854, Townland of Ardmore, Parish of Montiaghs, Co Armagh110, 111.
- +Hannah Little, b. October 25, 1855, Townland of Ardmore, Parish of Montiaghs, Co Armagh112, 113.
- William John Little, b. June 07, 1857, Townland of Ardmore, Parish of Montiaghs, Co Armagh114, 115.
- John Little, b. January 13, 1859, Townland of Ardmore, Parish of Montiaghs, Co Armagh116, 117.
- +Joseph Little, b. May 26, 1860, Townland of Ardmore, Parish of Montiaghs, Co Armagh118.
- Samuel Little, b. September 15, 1862, Townland of Ardmore, Parish of Montiaghs, Co Armagh119, 120.
- Isaac Little, b. August 07, 1866, Townland of Ardmore, Parish of Montiaghs, Co Armagh121, d. January 06, 1887, Nowshera, Bengal, India122.