Becker & Robinson Families:Information about Manuel Conrado Martinez
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Manuel Conrado Martinez (b. 25 December 1864, d. 19 May 1939)Manuel Conrado Martinez (son of Gregorio Martinez and Trinidad Lopez)1007 was born 25 December 1864 in Catskill, New Mexico1007, and died 19 May 1939 in Taos, New Mexico1007.He married Maria Gertrudes Cortez on 20 February 1893 in Trinidad, Las Animas, Colorado1007, daughter of Lucas Cortez and Maria Leonora Valdez.
Notes for Manuel Conrado Martinez:
The first state representative from 8th District Colfax County, Ponil Creek, located North and West of Cimarron.Member of Education, Liquor Traffic, Roads & Highways, Public Institutions, and Penitentiary Committees.Political affiliation is Democrat.
Ponil Creek was a lively place and miners from Red River camps came here for dances.He was the caller for the square-dances.When worked as logger, he hired men to fell trees and make ties to sell to railroad.He worked on the railroad as Section Hand for 3 years.During time in legislature his occupation was timber contractor.Ponil Park was founded as a center for logging and sawmill operations. Founded in 1850 or thereabouts. It died out about 1900 along with Ring, Labelle, Bonito, Dawson, Anchor, Midnite, & Hopewell.
According to Taos County NM Sheriff and Alguacil Mayors web site (www.kmitch.com/taos/sheriffs.html) he was the Diputado Alguacil Mayor on January 8, 1924.David Struck with Alguacil Mayor.On May 18, 1934 he was appointed Village Marshal.
According to 1900 Census owned home free.According to 1930 Census value of home $1000
Death Certificate #2801 issued by Taos County, NM May 1939
Catskill enjoyed a reputation rare for towns in the 1890s. It was known as a happy and fun loving town. Its citizens contributed time and money to build a church, a recreation hall, a racecourse, a dance pavilion, a picnic ground and a ballpark. It had a twenty-two-piece band as well as a dance orchestra. It was a fun loving town without violence. It was also a lumbering and sawmill town. It produced charcoal in such great demand that three thousand cords of wood were burned daily in the Catskill ovens. During the boom years thirty to fifty flatcar loads of lumber were shipped daily. The town was born in 1890 and had a good life until 1902. The timber around Catskill was becoming scarce and one by one the sawmills began closing down. In that year, the tracks of the Colorado and Southern Railway were pulled up cutting off Catskill's lifeline. There are a few surviving relics of the town most notably ten perfectly preserved red brick charcoal ovens east of Catskill beside the Canadian River. Once so easily accessible by rail, it can now only be reached with a four-wheel-drive vehicle.
More About Manuel Conrado Martinez:
Burial: 22 May 1939, Taos, New Mexico.1007
Census 1: 1910, ED4 Sheet 6 Colfax Co. Precint #14.1007
Census 2: 1920, ED 18 Sheet 7A Colfax Co Precint #26.1007
Census 3: 1930, ED 7 Sheet 1B Tao Co. Precint #4.1007
Elected 1: 1911, State House Representatives; First Legislature.1007
Elected 2: 1910, School Director, Ponil, New Mexico.1007
Occupation 1: 1930, Logger; contractor.1007
Occupation 2: 1910, Teamster.1007
Occupation 3: 1920, Foreman Tie Camp.1007
Property: 1920, Ponil Creek.1007
Residence 1: 1925, Taos, New Mexico.1007
Residence 2: 1910, Catskill, NM.1007
Residence 3: 1913, Santa Fe, NM.1007
Residence 4: 1920, Ponil, Colfax, New Mexico.1008
More About Manuel Conrado Martinez and Maria Gertrudes Cortez:
Death of one spouse: Abt. 1939, New Mexico.1009
Marriage: 20 February 1893, Trinidad, Las Animas, Colorado.1009
Children of Manuel Conrado Martinez and Maria Gertrudes Cortez are:
- +Josefina Emma Martinez, b. 17 April 1894, Raton, New Mexico1009, d. December 1979, Taos, Taos, New Mexico, United States of America1010.
- +Leonor M Martinez, b. 08 February 1896, Springer, Colfax, New Mexico1011, d. 08 January 1963, Albuquerque, NM1011.
- Lusiano Martinez, b. 13 December 1898, Springer, Colfax, New Mexico1011, d. Bef. 1980.
- +Fedelina Martinez, b. 01 September 1900, Lorenzo, Colorado1011, d. 08 November 1983, New Mexico.
- Gregoria Martinez, b. 13 March 1902, Catskill, New Mexico, d. date unknown.
- Piedad Martinez, b. 13 September 1903, Raton, New Mexico, d. 09 July 1904.
- Francisco Martinez, b. Abt. 1904, Colfax County, New Mexico1011, d. date unknown, New Mexico.
- Eliseo Martinez, b. 02 April 1904, Trinidad, Colorado, d. date unknown.
- Frederico Conrado Martinez, b. 03 December 1905, Dawson, Colorado1012, 1013, d. November 1991, Salt Lake City, Utah1014, 1015.
- Lucio Martinez, b. 13 December 1907, Springer, Colfax, New Mexico1016, 1017, d. 27 December 1987, Tooele, Ut1018.
- Alejandro Martinez, b. 24 December 1909, Springer, Colfax County, New Mexico1019, d. date unknown.
- Eva Martinez, b. 03 August 1911, Springer, Colfax, New Mexico, d. 25 May 1912.
- Esutasia R. Martinez.
- Isidra Gracianna Martinez.
- Beidra G Martinez.
- Simon Guillarmo Martinez, b. 27 October 1916, Springer, Colfax, New Mexico1020, 1021, d. May 1985, Abiquiu, Rio Arriba, New Mexico, United States of America1022.
- +Andrea Simplicia Martinez, b. 02 March 1919, Springer, Colfax, New Mexico1023, d. January 1990, New Mexico1024.
- Winifield Martinez.
- +Juan J Martinez, b. 10 October 1921, Taos, New Mexico1025, d. 26 January 1961, New Mexico.
- +Griselda Rebecca Martinez.