|On 6/16/1662, Gilbert Blunt was granted 320 a. in Gloucester Co. VA "upon the north side of the Yorke river & upon an Eastern-most head branch of Poropotank river". This parcel represented his headrights for himself, his wife, his brother, William Jack- man, Elizabeth Wells, Anne Dodson, Ann ____, William Blyth and Jane Blyth. He was entitled to 450 a., thus due another 130 a. On 3/17/1655, Henry Hubert received a patent... "being part of a patent granted to Gilbert Blunt and deserted" and 2 different patents of 8/1665 (to Henry Huberd) & of 1/1661 (to John Greene) refer to Mr. Blunt's property line. These references are the only ones during the 1600's to the Blunt's of Virginia, outside of Southeastern Virginia.|
The earliest reference to the Blunts in the 18th century in Central VA appears in the Christ Church Register of Middlesex Co. 3 christenings were recorded. Francis, son of Francis & Anne Blunt, was born on 8/29 & bap. on 10/22/1719; Susanna, dau of Henry & Elizabeth Blunt, was born 3/31 & bap. on 5/7/1721; & William, son of Henry and Elizabeth, was born on 12/29/1722 & bap. on 3/22/1723.One death is recorded: Thomas Blunt died on 4/1 & was buried on 4/3/1720.It is important to note that the Gilbert Blunt patent was only 8 mi. from the Gloucester Co. line & 11 mi. from Christ Church. There is only 1 "Blunt" entry between 1704 & 1770 in Gloucester or Middlesex Co. records --in Gloucester Co. Survey Bk A, p.15 mentions "Blunt's line" in a land dispute survey.
There are at least 3 Blunt males that are mentioned in the 1770's in Hanover or Botetourt Co., who can be traced to the Gloucester Co. area. In 1770, Bartholomew Blunt, born abt. 1745, is listed in the tithables of Gloucester Co.On 7/2/1776, Bartholomew Blunt of Ware Parish married Elizabeth Hunley of Kingston Parish.In 1782, Bartholomew was listed in the Pers. Prop. Tax records of Ware Parish. Baartholomew appears in the Pers. Prop. Tax records of Hanover Co. in 1787 and was listed on the same date as Page Blunt & Francis Blunt, which may indicate living near each other. Bartholomew appears with Thompson Blunt in Chesterfield Co. from 1794-97 and then reappears in Hanover Co. Bartholomew died in Hanover Co. about 1813/4. William Blunt, who was born abt. 1755, stated in a Revolutionary pension affidavit (1818, Muskingham Co. OH)that he enlisted in Capt. Sayre's Co. in the 1st Va. Regiment. It was verified that Capt. Sayre's Co. was mustered in Gloucester Co., Va; which most likely was his home at the start of the Revolution. William Blunt appears as late as 1787 in Henrico Co. Pers. Prop. Tax records. Nathaniel Blunt, who was born in 1747/8, gave a Rev. pension affidavit in 1821 (Botetourt Co., VA). The affidavit states that Nathaniel was formerly of Hanover Co.Rev. War records indicate that he served in various regiments, among them the 9th VA Reg., which was raised from various counties surrounding & including Gloucester Co.
The first record of Blunts in Hanover was 1752. The 7/3/1752 Virginia Gazette states that Page Blunt of Hanover Co. reported a steer had strayed onto his plantation. Page Blunt was appointed by the St. Paul's Parish to procession land in 1755, & again in 1759 & 1763. Page owned 2 tracts when the tithables of 1763 were taken; one for 580 a. & another for 200 a.The location of these tracts is not precise, however in 1782, (the 1st yr. of the State Land Tax), Page owned 365 a. in St. Martin's Parish. It appears the 580 a. may have been shared by Page and Charles Hudson; the 1782 Land Tax records show Page with 365 a. 14 mi. W of the Hanover Courthouse & Chas. Hudson with 218 A. 15 M. SW of the Courthouse.
There are 2 interesting entries in the St. Paul's Parish Vestry Book which could hint at the parentage of Page Blunt. On 10/20/1758, there are two entries: To Lucy Blunt for corn towards her support & to Walter Turner for making Charles Blunt's coffin. It seems possible that Charles & Lucy may h