THE RICHARDSON - DAVIS FAMILY HOME PAGE:Information about BOYCE/BOIES
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
BOYCE/BOIES (d. date unknown)BOYCE/BOIES (son of Boies) died date unknown.
Notes for BOYCE/BOIES:
Boyes, JosephME MAINE TERR.246 1762
Boyes, JosephME MAINE TERR.251 1762
Interments in the PRESBYTERIAN CHURCHYARD, BRINCKERHOFF VILLAGE
"Old Gravestones of Dutchess County, New York" by J. W. Poucher published in 1924, pages 85-91.
25. Boice, Isaac, d. 1850, Sep. 22, a. 68-8-11.b.1782
26. Boice, John, d. 1846, Apr. 29, in 60th y.b.1786
27. Boice, Mary, w. of Isaac d. 1833, Mar.14, a. 45-1-11.
28. Boice, Matthew, s. of John & Hannah, d. 1821, Nov. 24, a. 14 m.
29. Boice, Samuel W., d. 1852, Jan. 13, a. 32-4-3.b.1822
30. Boice, Sarah A., d. 1862, May 5, a. 38-1-10.
42. Boyce, Elizabeth, d. 1828, June 30, a. 72 y.b.1756
43. Boyce, Matthew, d. 1818, Mar. 1, a. 72 y.b.1746
44. Boyce, Phebe, w. of John, d. 1811, Nov. 10, a. 23-5-22
1790 Census of Dutchess County, New York©
[transcribed by Alice Ohlsson Tatum from Microcopy No. T-498 Roll 2]
Genealogical and Personal Memoirs of Worchester County vol1
BOYCE FAMILY. Joseph Boyes (1), the immigrant ancestor of Franklin James Boyce, of Worcester, was born in England about 1615. The name is also spelled Boyce and Boyse. It is of French origin meaning Wood, and probably dates back to the Norman conquest. Du Bois is still a common name in France. In Scotland, whence came most of the Boyes families of America, either directly or from the branches settled in Ulster province, Ireland, the family home is in Forfarshire. Joseph Boyes, who came to America, was a tanner by trade. He settled in Salem, where he was a proprietor in 1639. He was admitted to the church there April 7, 1640, and was made a freeman May 18, 1642. He sold his house and land in 1657. But little is known of him. His will was dated November 4, 1684, and proved February 18, 1694-5, bequeathing to his wife Eleanor, son Joseph; daughters Mary Southick; Hester (???); and Elizabeth Hanson; to Joseph's children, Joseph and Benjamin.
The children of Joseph and Eleanor Boyes were: Hester, baptized February 21, 1640; Eliza or Elizabeth, baptized at Salem, March 6, 1642, married (???) Hanson; Joseph, of whom later; Benjamin, baptized May 16, 1647, died before 1684; Mary married (???) Southick.
(II) Joseph Boyce, son of Joseph Boyce or Boyes (1), was born March, 1644, baptized at Salem, March 31, 1644. He lived in Salem until about the time of his father's death. He married, February 4, 1667-8. Only the first child is recorded at Salem. Their children: Sarah, born December 4, 1668; Joseph, mentioned in grandfather's will, 1684; Benjamin, mentioned in will aforesaid; William, born about 1690, of whom later.
(III) William Boyce, believed to be the son of Joseph Boyce (2), was born about 1690, perhaps in Rhode Island. The first records relating to William Boyes are found at Mendon, Massachusetts, when he was hired as school teacher. Under date of August 20, 1718, we find: "Having settled with Thomas Sabford, town treasurer, for ye years 1716 and 1718, the selectmen then agreed with William Boyce to be ye town's School Master from ye day of ye date until ye 4th day of March next to keep said school at ye direction of ye selectmen and that ye selectmen pay ye sd Boyce after ye rate of 28 pounds a year and likewise after that rate for the time ye said Boyce has kept school in ye said town of Mendon from ye 12 day of May last to ye day of date hereof, ye sd Boyce giving account to ye selectmen what time he hath lost." One writer gives the date of his coming to Mendon as 1717, but from this record it appears that he began May 12, 1718. He must have been well educated to have filled the position. He was already a man of family and had probably taught elsewhere in the colonies. The fact that he came to Mendon at the time the first Scotch-Irish emigration began to come makes it worth while to consider whether he could not have been one of these immigrants. It seems out of the question to think that old Mendon would hire a Presbyterian Scotchman for a school teacher under any circumstances, such was the feeling in evidence against the Scotch-Irish who came into the colonies. He proved satisfactory as a school teacher and citizen. He continued to teach until 1728, when he was succeeded by Grindal Rawson, son of Rev. Grindal Rawson, and the first person living in Mendon to graduate at the college. Mr. Boyce's contract in 1721 contained the curious provision that he should keep a "Reading and wrighting school during the year, unless the town shall be presented (by the grand jury) for want of a grammar school, when he was to cease teaching at ye selectmen's orders." His salary was twenty-eight pounds unless "Moving" when he should receive thirty pounds. He taught most of the time one quarter each year in four different sections of the town--at the school house; at the south end; at Mill river and at Great river (Uxbridge). He gained in favor rapidly. He was a selectman in 1723-24. He bought the lands and rights of Obadiah Wheelock, and December 5, 1719, the town of Mendon laid out to William Boyce fifty acres of the seventh division, and forty acres of Obadiah Wheelock on the south of Wigwam Hill. He bought more land of John Rawson January 25, 1719-20, in Mendon, and another piece the same day of William Hayward. He bought other land in Mendon January 13, 1723-4, of Woodward
Thompson; November 15, 1726, of Nathaniel Woodbury, and four parcels February 6, 1738-9, one of Obadiah Wheelock, one of James Heath, one of Joseph Dorr and the other of Jonathan Hayward.
He died in 1733 in Mendon. Guardians were appointed for his nine children February 7, 1734-5, giving their approximate ages. The names of the other children are to be found in the administration papers of Jonathan, son of William Boyce. The children of William Boyce were: 1. William, Jr., born 1714, died 1738. Benjamin, born 1719, resided in Abington in 1742, probably the one who died at Mendon, 1787; John, of whom later; Samuel, born in 1721, resided in Medfield in 1742; Jonathan, born 1723, resided in Uxbridge in 1747, died that year, administrator appointed May 14, 1747; Bethia, born 1726; Margaret, born 1726. Daniel Boyce, who drew land in Mendon in 1733, may belong in this list of William's children, but if so, he died before the settlement of his brother's estate in 1747.
(IV) John Boyce, son of William Boyce (3), was born in 1718, in Mendon, Massachusetts, He probably settled about the time of his marriage in Uxbridge, formerly part of Mcndon, where he owned land in 1739. He sold part of the house lot of his father, William Boyce, to Edmund Nurse, of Mendon, July 30, 1739. His brother William died in 1738, leaving a wife Lydia and four brothers. His brother Jonathan, blacksmith, died 1747. John was administrator of his estate. By deed dated February 15, 1747, he bought of his two surviving brothers their interests in the estates of the two deceased brothers, William Boyce, late of Mendon, and Jonathan Boyce, late of Uxbridge. The brothers were Samuel Boyce, of Medfield, blacksmith, Benjamin Boyce, of Abington, cordwainer. Benjamin died in 1787, leaving four children--Jonathan, who died without issue; Lucius; Asa, who left no sons; Phebe, and in his will mentions the children of his daughter, Lydia Going. It follows that John Boyce, of Rutland, if he belonged to this family, was son of Samuel or of John Boyce. Samuel was last heard of in Medfield, while John removed to Oxford Gore, while John of Rutland was living in Rutland. John Boyce sold out in Mendon, January 22, 1781, to Benjamin Read and to his brother, Benjamin Boyce, who returned from Abington. This land was that of his father and brothers and a lot bought of John Legg, May 30, 1751. He sold a lot of land in Oxford South Gore, thirty-two acres, July 10, 1786, to Benoni Benson.
He married Sarah (???), who survived him. He died at Oxford South Gore in 1791, intestate. In the administration of his estate the names of Priscilla, Amplias and Asenath are mentioned. Cenia lived there at the time. John of Rutland must have been son or nephew.
(V) John Boyce, son of nephew or John Boyce (4), was born in 1736. He bought land in Rutland of William and Sarah Phillips of Boston, January 19, 1767. He had been living there since his marriage in 1763 and for some time previously. He sold a lot of land in Rutland, February 14, 1769, to John Smith, who married his wife's sister. His place was in the southern part of the town. The history of Rutland says of him: "John Boyce had land in Dublin originally laid out to William Fenton, on which he lived many years. He bought land in Rutland, April 16, 1777, of William Whittaker, and February 8, 1775, land at Paxton of Hollen Maynard, of Northboro. He sold land at Barre, May 21, 1782, to Joseph Robinson, of Barre, and February 18, 1784, one hundred and seven acres at Barre to the same man. John Boyce and his son Thomas sold out their interests in Rutland to Joseph Sweetser, of Paxton, December 14, 1813. On the same day he deeded various lots to his son, John, Jr., who remained at Rutland. He deeded a farm of sixty-one acres to John, Jr., June 20, 1794, at the time he gave an undivided half of the homestead to Thomas.
He married (first), April 7, 1763. at Rutland, Martha Dickee or Dickey, who died April 19, 1810. He married (second), July 23, 1812, at Rutland, Mrs. Anna Oliver, widow of James Oliver. of Barre. She died November 8, 1828, aged eighty years, at Barre. He died at Barre, May, 1817, aged eighty years or more. The children of John and Martha Boyce were: 1. Thomas, baptized November 3, 1765, married, February 18, 1790, Patty Reed, who died April 30, 1810; married (second) (intentions dated January 3), 1811, Widow Margaret Thompson, of Princeton. Thomas had twelve children born at Rutland. 2. Jane, born October 4, 1767, married Elijah Stearns, Jr. (Intentions dated June 25), 1785. 3. Martha, born at Rutland, baptized June 25, 1769. 4. Isabel, born in Rutland, baptized September 1, 1771; married Darius Bent (intentions dated January 28, 1797). 5. John, Jr., born April 28, 1773, settled in Rutland, of whom later.
(VI) John Boyce, son of John Boyce (5), was born at Rutland, Massachusetts, April 28, 1773. He received a common school education and worked during his youth for his father on the farm. After his marriage he purchased a farm which he worked until 1819, when he removed to Worcester and bought the old Bigshee farm, which is now owned in part by the heirs, his grandson, John Richard Boyce, located on Webster street. Although during his last years he was retired he continued to live there until his death. He was a Whig in polities and an Episcopalian in religion. He was in his younger days a member of the state militia.
He married (first), May 28, 1794, Ruth Thompson, who was born December, 1768. He married (second), May, 1812, Polly Bond, of Leicester, who died March 8, 1813. He married (third), June 29, 1815, Lucy H. Prouty, of Brookfield, who was born February 24, 1782, and died November 3, 1827. He married (fourth) Hannah D. Fuller, of Worcester. The children of John and Ruth Boyce were: James Thompson, born March 1, 1795; Martha Patty, born December 1, 1796; John Frazier, born November 12, 1798; Ruth, born May 22, 1801; Clarinda, born March 18, 1804; Witness, born October 21, 1811, died November 24, 1811. The children of John and Polly Boyce were: Mary Eliza, born March 3, 1813, died January 31, 1814. The children of John and Lucy were: Lucy J., born March 14, 1819; Samuel Dexter, born September 24, 1825. The children of John and Hannah were: George Washington, born January 7, 1830; Louisa Elizabeth, born July 13, 1831; William W., born June 14, 1834, died August 20, 1839.
(VII) John Frazier Boyce, third child of John Boyce (6), was born at Rutland, Massachusetts, November 12, 1798, died August 18, 1878. He received his education in the district schools of his native town and worked afterward with his father on the farm until the family removed to Worcester in 1819. He came to Worcester with the family and learned the trade of dyer at Rochdale in the woolen mill there, and worked there for a number of years. He removed to Millbury and worked at his trade there. He drew a quarter section of land (one hundred and sixty acres) from the government at Franklinville, Cattaraugus county, New York, and for three years worked upon it from spring to fall. Then he exchanged it for the farm of Elliott Boyce, his cousin, at Spencer. Later he sold the Spencer property to good advantage, and took charge of his father's farm on Webster street, Worcester. He bought the place and carried on thefarm profitably until his death. He was orthodox in religion and attended the Old South Church, then on the Worcester common. He was a Republican in polities and served on the school committee for many years. He was in the militia in his younger days.
He married (first), at Barre, March 6, 1838, Adeline Adams, of Barre, no children. He married (second), at Heath, Massachusetts, April 23, 1840, Sophia Temple, who was born March 6, 1810, daughter of Richard and Caroline (Christie) Temple. Her father was a farmer. The children of John Frazier and Sophia Temple Boyce were: 1. Adaline Adams, born March 26, 1841, died May 10, 1860. 2. Eunice Jennette, born January 5, 1843, married Otis H. Bancroft, May 15, 1862, and they have four children--Adaline Jennette, born May 15, 1863; Cora Eliza, born March 22, 1865; Nettie Louisa; Clara May, born July 23, 1873. 3. Emma Sophia, born December 27, 1845, died unmarried February 1, 1905. 4. John Richard, born February 2, 1848, died February 18, 1901; married Lizzie Cora Rockwell, and they have had two children--Bernice Marion, born April 29, 1892; Raymond John, born February 12, 1894. 5. Franklin James, born March 4, 1850. 6. William Charles, born July 10, 1852, died July 15, 1889.
(VIII) Franklin James Boyce, fifth child of John Frazier Boyce (7), was born at Worcester, Massachusetts, March 4, 1850. He received his education in the common schools, taking also two terms in Howe's Business College, Worcester. At the age of twenty years he entered the employ of Rice & Griffin, manufacturers of doors, sash, blinds, etc., at the corner of Union and Exchange streets, where he was located for four years, when he and his brother, William C., took charge of the farm until the father's death, when it was willed to the three brothers, John R., Franklin James and William Charles, and the two sisters. His early experience on the farm proved useful to him when he and his brother John took charge of the paternal farm. So well did the partnership with his brother succeed that it was continued after the father's death, when they became the joint owners of the property with their brother William. After the death of William in 1889 without issue, the two brothers, John R. and Franklin James, continued the same equal division of the property in joint ownership with their two sisters. As the city grew the farm land became more and more valuable. Finally in 1889 Mr. Boyce and his brother began to build houses on the property and more than forty have been erected and sold since then. Mr. Boyce built his residence at 284 Webster street in 1874. He also owns land in Auburn, a part of his present farm. When the father died the farm contained one hundred and forty-four acres; the brothers added to until they owned over three hundred acres.
In religion Mr. Boyce is liberal, formerly attending the Universalist church, now the Bethany Congregational church. In politics he is a Republican. He is a Free Mason, member of the Morning Star Lodge, of Worcester Royal Arch Chapter, Hiram Council and of Worcester County Commandery, Knights Templar; Worcester Lodge of Perfection, Goddard Council, Lawrence Chapter of Rose Croix, the Massachusetts Consistory and of the Aleppo Temple, Order of Mystic Shrine. He is a member of the Worcester Agricultural Society and of the New England Fair Association.
He married, December 28, 1881, Josephine E. Buck, who was born April 2, 1858, the daughter of Ezra and Louisa (Boyce) Buck, of Machias, New York. Her father is a farmer. The children of Franklin James and Josephine E. Boyce are:
1. Eugene Franklin, born December 20, 1883, a student in Clark College. 2. Mabel Louise, born October 16, 1885, married Albert Stevens Allen, of Auburn, Massachusetts. 3. Gladys Myrtle, born July 1, 1883. 4. Hazel Emma, born February 10, 1891.
Olive, (Ballou), born August 29, 1803, married Jacob Boyce, 1829;
Bosworth Genealogy Vol V(Gen.Lib.com)
THANKFUL6 BOSWORTH, only daughter of Jonathan5 (Jonathan4, Jonathan Jr.3, Jonathan2, Edward1) and second wife Thankful (Martin), born probably in Rehoboth, Mass.,about 1738 (no record found); married in Providence, Sept. 8, 1765 by Samuel Winsor Elder of the Baptist Church of Christ in Providence, JOSEPH BOYCE (DuBois), a shipwright of Providence, R. I., who fell from a scaffold on July 1, 1790 and died in a few hours, leaving Thankful a widow with nine children and one posthumous, born six months after the father's death. Thankful in the later years of her life went to live with her son William DuBois in Abbotsford, Prov. of Quebec, Canada, where she died and was buried about 1812.
NOTE: Joseph was a descendant of French Huguenots and the name was DuBois, but his ancestors having removed to England before coming to America the name became Anglesized and was spelled "Boyce" with the "Du" omitted, but later the family used the original form of the name.
About 1776 Thankful and her husband removed from Providence and went to live in Scituate in the part set off as Foster in 1781. In 1783 Jonathan the father deeded them 30 a. of land in Foster. At her husband's death Thankful must have gone at once with her children to live with her father, (See Part IV, p. 456) for as stated in the history of Thankful's father, when the first U. S. Census was taken in Foster in 1790, Thankful was living with her father. The record reads, "3 males over 16," these were Jonathan and Thankful's two sons Martin and William Boyce. "5 males under 16" were Joseph, Jonathan, John, Elisha and Jabez Boyce; "6 females," these were, Mary, third wife of Jonathan, Thankful Boyce his dau., and Lydia, Mary, and Thankful, daughters of Thankful Boyce, and one unknown. In the census of 1800 we find Thankful still living in Foster alone with her children "1 female over 45" being Thankful then about 55, "1 female of 16 and under 26" being the dau. Thankful then 19, "2 females under 10" the youngest dau. Sarah then 9, the other unknown. "1 male of 16 and under 26" must have been Elisha then 17, "2 males of 10 and under 16" were Jabez and James 15 and 11. The son Martin had died, the others being over 21 had probably left home.
May 26, 1781, Joseph Boyce a Shipcarpenter of Scituate, R. I. bought 2 a. of land in Scituate of Geo. Westcot, adj. land of Joseph Pray and Jonathan Bosworth.
(Foster Deeds, 3-271)
Sept. 28, 1793, "Thankful Boyce of Foster widow acting as Sole Executrix to the last will and Testament of her son Martin Boyce, late of sd. Foster Dec'd" sold 5 a. of land in Foster.
(Foster Deeds 1-236)
Feb. 24, 1801, Thankful Boyce of Foster, widow sells 10 a. land to Levi Wade for $150.
(Foster Deeds 3-304)
Mar. 7, 1801, Jonathan Boyce of Foster, yeoman, for $32 sells "One Ninth part of Two certain pieces of Land containing 22 a." etc. which his father had purchased. "the Ninth part of these Two lots of land Fell to the Grantor by heirship and is undivided," and "Thankful Boyce the mother of said
BOYES, BOYS, BOYCE, or BOIES, ANTIPAS, Boston 1659, merch.
engag. in 1661 on great purch. of ld. at Dover, with Valentine Hill,
whose d. Hannah he had m. 24 Jan. 1660, had Antipas, and d. July or
Aug. 1669. His will 3 July of that yr. was pro. 18 Aug. and after giv.
est. to s. he says, if uncle Richard Rose wishes, he may bring him up
and rec. the prop. The s. went, I think. to Eng. JOHN, Rowley, a.
1661; was, perhaps, s. of Matthew of the same. JOSEPH, Salem 1639,
freem. 18 May 1642, had Esther, bapt. 21 Feb. 1641; Elizabeth 6 Mar.
1642; Joseph, 31 Mar. 1644; and Benjamin, 16 May 1647. JOSEPH,
Salem, prob. s. of the preced. m. 4 Feb. 1668, Sarah Meacham,
perhaps d. of Jeremiah, had Sarah, b. 4 Dec. foll. MATTHEW, Roxbury,
freem. 22 May 1639, rem. to Rowley, was rep. 1641, 3, 5 and 50.
He went home, as I find, by letters from Eng. Apr. 1657, he was then
liv. near Leeds, in Yorksh. still liv. in Feb. 1677, hav. tak. sec. w.
in his old age, only two yrs bef. He prob. had a fam. here, but after
his ret. home, prob. his s. Joseph, a divine of some distinct. was b. at
Leeds. See Geneal. Reg. XII. 65. RICHARD, New Hampsh. d. as
early as 1677.SAMUEL, Saybrook, m. 3 Feb. 1688, Lydia, d. of
William Beamond, went to liv. at Barbados, there had Joseph, wh. he brot.
to S, where he d. 22 Mar. 1683; at S. had Samuel, b. 6 Dec. 1673; and
Michael, 26 May 1683, wh. d. in less than a mo. and f. d. 4 Oct. of same
yr. aged 49.His wid. m. 15 Apr. 1684, Alexander Pygan.Four of
this name had been gr. at Wms. Coll. 1834. The name is, by Mr. Patch,
Hist. Coll. of Essex Inst. pp. 50 and 51, read by mistake, Boyle.
FROM SAVAGE VOL I
Westchester County Veteran's Cemetery Index (A - M)
The Revolutionary War - World War I
Boyce Dennis L. 1847-1932
Boyce H. W. 1881-1931
Boyce Henry Harrison 0-1903
Boyce Jacob 1890-1880
Boyce Jacob 1819-1880
Boyce John 1745-1832
Boyce John J. 1840-1917
Boyce Richard B. 1838-0
Boyce Thos. 1735-1826
Westchester County Naturalization Records Index, 1808-1927
Children of BOYCE/BOIES are:
- +BOICE ??, d. date unknown.