| || Notes for Pierre Billiou:|
Pierre Billiou, son of Thomas Billiou and Aimee was born in Lille, France 1625. Billiou- Stillwell- Perine house on Staten Is. N.Y. located at 1476 Richmond Rd. Dongan Hills Staten Is. N.Y. 10306. This is the oldest house on Staten Is. and the third oldest in New York City.
Pierre Billew (Pieter Bielliou, Billou, Bellew, etc.), was a native of Artois, a province in northern France, for centuries a part of Flanders and Burgundy up to 1659. He was married in the Walloon Church at Leyden, Holland, to Francoise du Bois, daughter of Chretian du Bois of Wicre and sister of Louis du Bois, a founder of New Paltz, N. Y. His first two children were baptized at Leyden. (Genealogy of Wilson and Allied Families, Phila., 1929, pp. 83-88). Francoise died some time after 1668 and he married (2) Gerriye (???), whom he names in his will. As indicated above, he fled to Leyden, and on May 9, 1661, he sailed for America in the ship "De St. Jan Baptiste", accompanied by wife Francoise and four children, aged 9,7,6, and 2 1/2, his origin being given as Walslant (Waesland?), Paye de Vaud (Flanders). (Holland Society Year Book 1902, p. 18). The oldest daughter probably came over with her uncle Louis du Bois. In 1664 Billew was Schepen, and represented Staten Island in the Assembly held at New Amsterdam. In 1673 he was elected Schout and Schepen or Presiding Magistrate of Staten Island. He bought land in Flatbush in 1670 and a plantation near Piscataway, N. J., in 1674. (Wilson Gen., etc., p. 83-88). His will, as recorded, calls him Peter Biyon of Richmond County, yeoman, and was dated Sep. 11, 1699, and proved Jan. 6, 1702/3. It names wife Perriye or Gerriye, eldest son Isaac, children of son Jacob and of daughter Catherine Curtis, and daughters Francoyse (widow of Nicholas Larzilliere and wife of John Morgan), MariePrall, Chretienne Marlet and Martha Stillwell (N. Y. County Wills, 7:79).
Call Number: 9205
Following the revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685, Huguenots settled widely throughout the New Jersey colony. This work, prepared by an officer of the Huguenot Society of New Jersey, contains brief genealogical and biographical sketches of hundreds of early Huguenot families in the Garden State. With a new index.
Koehler, Albert F. The Huguenots or The Early French in New Jersey. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore 1996.
Francoise DuBois, a daughter of Christain and a sister of Louis Du Bois the Huguenot, married Pierre Biljouw (Billiou) in the Walloon Church at Leyden on April 20, 1649. Their daughter Maria baptized in the Walloon Church in 1650, came with the parents on the ship St. Jan Baptist on May 9, 1661. In the will of Pierre Billiou, dated September 11, 1699, he mentions his daughter Maria, wife of Arendt Prael (Prall), "who is deceased but left seven children." Marie married Arendt Prall at Wiltwick on June 3, 1670.
Arendt Jansen Prall was born 1647 in Nardy, France. He died in 1725 on Staten Island where he had lived for many years. His daughter Mary Prall married Johannes De Camp, son of Laurens Jansen De Camp, the Huguenot. The De Camp family of Essex County descends from the sons of Johannes De Camp and Mary Prall his wife.