I have only been researching my family tree for the past three years so this is very much a work in process. I am mostly interested in the following families:
Hawkes family from the Lindsell, Essex area;
Nicol family originating in Scotland and later Burton on Trent;
Brown family from Burton on Trent;
Sweeting family, originally from Romford, Essex and later from Woolwich, Kent;
Juckes family from Bethnal Green and Newington;
Nicholl family from Bethnal Green and Hackney;
Hobday family from Deal, Kent;
Stroud family from Woolwich, Kent;
McGrath family from Sheerness, Kent;
Baxter, Thimbleby and Shilcock families from Lincolnshire;
Fordham family from Ware, Hertfordshire and later from Woolwich, Kent;
Eaton family from Bedford and later from Plumstead, Kent;
Martin and Powles families from Herefordshire.
Any additional information that anyone viewing this site may be able to provide will be gratefully received, especially photographs!!
Most of the information has been obtained by trawling for hours on the internet. As a family we don't seem to have been very good at passing on family information or momentos. For this reason I have next to no historical information or photographs of our ancestors.
One of our ancestors, Sgt Alfred Hawkes of the Metropolitan Police (1874-1900) has been fairly easy to research, thanks to the information stored at Kew. He also features in the Charles Booth poverty study notebooks from the 1890's.
There are some larger documents that can be viewed by clicking on the link at the bottom of the page, 'Click here for more documents relating to this family tree' under 'Related Links' strangely enough!
These documents are:
1. Extracts from the Charles Booth diaries that relate to Sgt Hawkes.
2. Copies of all the Scottish birth and marriage official register entries.
3. Brown and Woodgate census sheets.
4. Eaton census sheets.
5. Fordham census sheets.
6. Harding census sheets.
7. Hawkes census sheets.
8. Hobday census sheets.
9. Juckes census sheets. (see also number 24 below)
10. Martin census sheets.
11. McGrath census sheets.
12. Nicholl census sheets.
13. Nicol census sheets.
14. Stroud census sheets.
15. Sweeting census sheets.
16. Copies of Family Search website listings for the Hobday and related family.
17. Copies of Family Search website listings for the Blown and related family.
18. The last will and testament of Stephen John Baxter - made 1844.
19. The Baxters of Neslam Fen story. (Courtesy of Peter Nicholl)
20. The George-s Nicholl story. (Courtesy of Peter Nicholl)
21. The Thimbleby Gifts story. (Courtesy of Peter Nicholl)
22. George McGrath Naval record with highlighted questions
23. GEORGE McGRATH b 02 May 1819 Baptism and Naval History
24. JUCKES 1841 & 1851 census Mile End and Spitalfields
I would like to thank the many people who have already provided me with additional information, advice and help in my search (they will know who they are)!
Any information relating to people that are living has been deliberately left out of this family tree.
Where dates of birth are not known but there is the date of birth for a child, I have estimated the parent's date of birth as 20 years prior to the birth of their first child, 20 years prior to their marriage date or the same age as their spouse.
1st January 2009 Have recently found the Martin and Powles family from Herefordshire. The information I have so far is on the family trees on this site. Not much on the Powles yet though.