My Genealogy Home Page:Information about Martha Carolyn MOORE
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Martha Carolyn MOORE (b. February 17, 1828)Martha Carolyn MOORE (daughter of Simpson MOORE and Cynthia CANE) was born February 17, 1828 in Ga.She married Ichabod Balkcom III on February 20, 1842 in Jones County, Ga, son of Ichabod Balkcom II and Nancy Sasser.
Notes for Martha Carolyn MOORE:
Ichabod was 16 years old, and Martha was 14 when they married. In 1854, they and their five children born at the time moved from Jones County to Quitman County in a covered wagon. (Martha's parents also settled in Quitman County.) Here, they lived in a log home and had five more children. Near the end of the Civil War, Ichabod, then 49, joined the CSA as a Private. He and his 16 year old son, Alexander,
left Martha with 7 children, all little girls, except for the baby, Ichabod. It is hard to imagine the hardships that they and so many other families had to endure during those turbulent years - running a farm, keeping a family together and clothed and fed. While the older boys were away fighting, Ichabod and Alexander were helping to put up fortifications at Savannah as Sherman and his three armies totaling about 100,000 men were stating their infmous march from Atlanta to Savannah. Sherman arrived on December 10, and within two weeks after fierce fighting, he was able "to present the city to Lincoln as a Christmas gift" - an extremely expensive gift with a high toll of dead and wounded. With Alexander at his side, Ichabod was wounded in the hand and groin by a minnie ball. He died of his injuries on December 29, 1864, and is buried in that special section of Laurel Grove North Cemetery set aside for Confederate soldiers
on Lot #949, Grave 13. Two of the seven children died while their fathers and brothers were away fighting.
More About Martha Carolyn MOORE and Ichabod Balkcom III:
Marriage: February 20, 1842, Jones County, Ga.
Children of Martha Carolyn MOORE and Ichabod Balkcom III are:
- +James Monroe Balkcom, b. September 12, 1843, Jones County, Ga..
- +Henry Lunsford Balkcom, b. September 09, 1845, Jones County, Ga., d. August 22, 1922, Georgetown, Quitman Co., Ga..
- +Alexander Balkcom, b. January 26, 1848, Jones County, Ga., d. December 25, 1925, Worth Co., Ga..
- Nancy Ann Cinthia Balkcom, b. January 21, 1850, Jones County, Ga., d. November 18, 1891.
- Camilla Frances Balkcom, b. May 31, 1852, Jones County, Ga., d. April 22, 1877.
- Martha June "Mattie" BALKCOM, b. November 30, 1854, Quitman County, Ga, d. March 04, 1935.
- Martia Ann Lucinda Balkcom, b. March 24, 1857, Quitman County, Ga, d. August 23, 1923.
- Missouri Kansas Balkcom, b. June 07, 1859, Quitman County, Ga, d. August 29, 1863, Quitman County, Ga.
- Amanda Caroline Balkcom, b. February 07, 1861, Quitman County, Ga, d. January 14, 1864, Quitman County, Ga.
- +Ichabod Lafayette Balkcom, b. August 04, 1863, Quitman County, Ga, d. June 23, 1943, Quitman County, Ga,Georgetown Cemetery, Quitman Co..