Sandtown United Methodist Church, Neshoba County, MS
Source:Arnold Thomas Seale
Sandtown Church was known as Pine Grove Church from around 1834 to 1899. The name was changed to Sandtown with the name having come from the name of a large Choctaw Indian town that had been
located on the same spot, SHINUK KAHA. SHINUK KAHA translated to Sand Town
or Lying in the Sand.
The first church was South of the cemetery and the first body laid to rest there was Sarah Jones, wife of James (Jimmie) Jones, a member of the movement that built the second church, around 1857. Note: This refers to
the parents ofLovy Jones.
The Philadelphia circuit (of which Sandtown was a part) was large, the work heavy, so the preacher in charge gave himself authority to drop Sandtown from the list, much to the disappointment of the members. Very soon William Seale, a local preacher from a neighboring church, transferred his membership and kept Sandtown on the list of appointments by filling them himself, going to the annual conference, and paying the assessment in full.
The report from the other churches on the circuit was unfavorable and the Philadelphia Circuit was made a mission. The members were humiliated and many of the grand old brothers informed the powers that the circuit neither
needed or wanted any of the "mission stuff" and that they need not send a Missionary as they had one of their own. Note: This refers to Rev. William Jarvis Seale and the date appears to be shortly after the Civil War.