HAASE/HELLER Family Home Page:Information about Friedreich August Werbelow
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Friedreich August Werbelow (b. November 24, 1835, d. March 16, 1917)Friedreich August Werbelow (son of Wilhelm Albert Werbelow)454, 455, 456 was born November 24, 1835 in Hanseburg, Brandenburg, Germany457, 458, 459, and died March 16, 1917 in Beemer, Cummings County, Nebraska460, 461, 462.He married Maria Louise Dorothea Heller on May 20, 1867 in Cumings County, Territory of Nebraska, daughter of Michael F. Heller I and Louisa Mallentine.
Notes for Friedreich August Werbelow:
The following was taken from a book published by the Beemer Historical Society:Beemer, Nebraska 1886-1986)
Immanuel Lutheran Church:Immanuel Lutheran Church south of Beemer, the first Missouri Synod Lutheran congregation in Nebraska, has a history dating back to the time when Beemer was known as Rock Creek.In the early days of January 1868, a group of about 19 families sent a petition to the president of the Western District of the Missouri Synod asking for a truly Lutheran pastor to supply them with the word and sacraments.A student, Adolph Wilhelm Frese, who had come to St Louis with excellent recommendations from Steeden, Germany, was selected to be given his examinations and ordained.Dr. Walther prevailed upon the young man to accept the call and he arrived at Rock Creek, Cuming County, Nebraska, at the beginning of February 1868.
However, when he arrived he found that a great change had taken place.A man of questionable alliances had come into the area promising to teach school for them and professing Lutheranism.He had gained the support of most of the families and only six men and their families had remained true to the call.These six men were:August Lambrecht, Karl Schlueter, William Loewe, Friedrich Kuester, Friedrich Werbelow and David Hasenkamp.Although they wanted a pastor, they would not be able to support one on their own.They offered to pay for his (Pastor Frese) return trip to St Louis.
However, before he returned, they asked if he would preach a sermon at the burial of the aged Christian mother of Friedrich Werbelow, Elizabeth, wife of William Werbelow who had been a Lutheran pastor in Germany.She had in her last days lamented the fact that no Lutheran pastor could be with her in the hour of death.The pastor readily consented and in later years he said, "When upon my arrival in Nebraska, I was informed that my services were no longer required, I was simply taken off my feet.But in the nick of the moment our Lord called home an aged Christian lady and provided me with the opportunity to preach the ever effective Gospel."And effective is was!After the funeral, a meeting was called and instead of the original 19 there were 24 that on February 16, 1868, signed this agreement:
"We, the undersigned, herewith declare that we have united into an Evangelical Lutheran Congregation, and that we shall support the pastor called by us with the necessities of life."
This may be considered the first and shortest constitution of the Missouri Synod Lutheran Church in the state.
In the beginning divine services were held in the homes of the members and then in a public school in 1869.That year they also erected the first parsonage and in the summer of 1871 their desire to have their own house of worship became a reality.These first buildings were erected on the Elkhorn bluffs new of the site of the present Immanuel Lutheran cemetary.
More About Friedreich August Werbelow:
Burial: 1917, Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery, Beemer, NE.463
Military service: January 20, 1870, Baptised: Immanuel Lutheran Church, Beemer, Nebraska.
More About Friedreich August Werbelow and Maria Louise Dorothea Heller:
Marriage: May 20, 1867, Cumings County, Territory of Nebraska.
Children of Friedreich August Werbelow and Maria Louise Dorothea Heller are:
- +August Herman Werbelow, b. April 6, 1868, Cummings County, Nebraska464, d. October 1, 1950.
- Friedrich August Werbelow, b. November 20, 1869, Beemer, Cummings County, Nebraska464, d. 1870, Beemer, Cummings County, Nebraska464.
- +Auguste Maria Louise Werbelow, b. February 26, 1871, Cumings County, Nebraska464, d. May 13, 1933, Cuming County, Nebraska464.
- +Bertha Auguste Karelina Werbelow, b. February 27, 1873, Beemer, Cuming County, Nebraska465, 466, d. October 10, 1926, Beemer, Cuming County, Nebraska467, 468.
- Wilhelm Albert Werbelow, b. April 21, 1875, Beemer, Cummings County, Nebraska469, d. March 3, 1877, Beemer, Cummings County, Nebraska469.
- +Paulina Rosa Werbelow, b. February 19, 1877, Beemer, Cummings County, Nebraska, d. December 15, 1956, Beemer, Cumming County, Nebraska.
- +Maria Louise Werbelow, b. August 27, 1878, Beemer, Cummings County, Nebraska, d. 1958.
- Helena Wilhelmina Werbelow, b. December 20, 1881, Beemer, Cummings County, Nebraska469, d. August 22, 1882, Beemer, Cummings County, Nebraska469.
- Martha Louise Auguste Werbelow, b. January 13, 1883, Beemer, Cummings County, Nebraska469, d. February 28, 1883, Beemer, Cummings County, Nebraska469.
- +Emil Heinrich Werbelow, b. July 6, 1885, Cumings County, Nebraska469, d. August 8, 1923469.
- Baby Werbelow, b. 1890, d. January 11, 1890, Beemer, Cummings County, Nebraska.
- +Fredrich Wilhelm Werbelow, b. May 24, 1891, d. July 7, 1957.