This distinguished family name can be traced as far back as the Domesday Book, with a Robert filius Willelmi recorded in 1086; Richard William lived in Oxfordshire in 1279, and a John Wylyam was recorded in the Subsidy Rolls in Sussex in 1296. Legend has it that the family Williams is descended from Brychan Brecheiniog who was Lord of Brecknock at the time of King Arthur. His seat was at Llangibby Castle in Monmouthshire. The ancient family name motto was "Cywir in Gwlad". Source: The Heritage Collection. No genealogical connection is implied.