Lewis Burwell 1621-1653
Lewis Burwell was born to Edward and Dorothy (Bedell)Burwell in Harlington, County Bedford, England. His mother's brothers,Gabriell and John Bedell, were members of the Virginia Company and came toJamestown with the Second Supply in 1608.
After the death of his father, his mother had marriedRoger Wingate. In October 1633 Wingate and Edward Kingswell arrived inJamestown aboard the ship Mayflower with a plan to create a settlement inCarolina. Finding that their promised transportation to Carolina was notyet available, they remained at Jamestown through the winter until early springwhen they decided to give up the project. In March Wingate left with hisfamily and returned to England and Kingswell followed in June. They shouldhave been more patient, for the promised ship arrived in July.
Lewis Burwell arrived at Jamestown about 1640 - a timewhen the original first generation had failed to carry their leadership over tothe next generation. The new immigration of 1640, of which Burwell and hisbrothers were a part would give to Virginia the progenitors of her greateighteenth-century families.
Roger Wingate, Burwell's stepfather, was the residuarylegatee of the land for which his now deceased partner, Kingwell, had claimed bythe headright system. Wingate did not immediately claim the land to whichhe was entitled until the spring of 1648. 2300 acres were granted jointlyto Burwell and Thomas Vause on the "lower part in Yorke River about 7 miles upthe Narrow on the South side thereof". In the summer of the same yearBurwell claimed the headrights he inherited form his stepfather, he received2350 acres "lying upon the North Side of York River up Rosewell Creek on theSouthward side thereof" for the transportation of forty-seven persons. This was the largest patent issued in 1648.
Nevertheless, the estate could not have been so large asto have guaranteed Burwell and his descendants a position ofundisputed eminence in the colony. But while everything did notproceed smoothly, he appears to have been a hard worker who devoted much of hisefforts to the acquisition of land. His landholdings expandedrapidly, and in 1650, for the transportation of thirty-two persons, he received1600 acres in Northumberland County "upon the South side of Potomeck River andEast side of Machotick River". The next day he was alloted 500 acres -this time on the "South side of Potomeck River upon West side of NomenyRiver". Two years later, in October, 200 acres "100 acres of which lyeswithin the Pallisade at the Middle plantation...the other with out thePallisade" were granted to "Major Lewis Burwell and Lucy, his wife".
When he died in 1653, he had been in Virginia for lessthan fifteen years.
ThisWeb Page Created with PageBreezeFree WebsiteBuilder