The John A. Taylor Family and The Philo W. Ford Family:Information about Philo Ford
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Philo Ford (b. November 20, 1816, d. December 10, 1899)
|Philo Wilton Ford|
Philo Ford was born November 20, 1816 in Eria, Genesee Co. NY, and died December 10, 1899 in Fremont, Dodge, NE.He married (1) Sarah Ann Burgess on 1845 in New York.He married (2) Mary Ann Hebring/Heberning on July 29, 1895 in Trinidad, Las Animas, CO.
Notes for Philo Ford:
Darold Mapes has name as Flila Ford and Sarah Ann Burger?
Philo served in the Civil War and for 87 years his grave went with no marker.A GGGrandaughter, Mary Ward of Clayton, KS finally gotthe Veterans Administration to put a marker on his grave.Served from Aug. 16, 1862 until June 20, 1865.I have copy of newspaper article about putting up the marker.When he signed up for service he lied about his age and he told them he was 32, but he already had 8 children, one of them a 17 yr. old daughter and a pregnant wife.
Philo began trying to get his pension on Dec. 22, 1876 and pension was finally granted July 4, 1892, $12 a month.On his affadavit he named present wife:Mary Ann Heberning, married July 29, 1895, Trinidad, Las Animas Co., CO and previous wife:Sarah Ann Burgess who died July 30, 1887 Chester, NE.Living children:Pheby Ann b. Dec. 22, 1846; Josephine b. feb. 2, 1849; Hanah Calista b. Mar. 9, 1851; Alonzo A. b. June 20, 1854; Ellen b. May 6 1859; Philo J. b. Feb 5, 1863.March 9, 1901, dropped as pensioner - stamped "DEAD" - note "date unknown"
From Jan. 29, 1900 newspaper at Fremont, NE:
"Philo Ford, an old soldier who came here a couple of weeks ago from Antelope Co., NE, died early this morning at his daughter's home north of Mrs. West's building on lower Main street.The man who was 79 yrs. old, sustained injuries from falling off a wagon last Tuesday and this together with old age brought on his death.The funeral will take place tomorrow at 2 p.m. from the German Methodist Church on Eleventh and F streets and all members of G.A.R. (Grand Army of the Republic) and old soldiers are asked to atten.The Free Methodist minister will lead the service.Buried in Freemont, NE at Ridge Cemetery, Lot 3, section 206. (According to the age of 79 yrs. in this article, would make his birth date 1821??)
1850 census for Erie county Alden twp New york
1860 census wisconsin Lafayette county wiota township
1890 Special Enumeration of Veterans, Holt county Nebraska
More About Philo Ford:
Burial: Unknown, Ridge Cemetery, Fremont, Dodge, NE.
More About Philo Ford and Sarah Ann Burgess:
Marriage: 1845, New York.
More About Philo Ford and Mary Ann Hebring/Heberning:
Marriage: July 29, 1895, Trinidad, Las Animas, CO.
Children of Philo Ford and Sarah Ann Burgess are:
- +Dulcina Ford, b. 1845, New York, d. date unknown.
- +Pheobe Ann "Pheby" Ford, b. December 22, 1846, Albany, Albany, NY, d. April 23, 1926, Rushville, Sheridan, NE.
- +Josephine Ford, b. February 02, 1848, Chemung, NY, d. date unknown.
- Hannah Clista Ford, b. March 09, 1851, Chemung, NY, d. April 1931, Chester, Thayer Co NE.
- +Alonzo Almeron Ford, b. June 20, 1854, Chemung, NY, d. July 19, 1934, Norton, Norton, KS.
- Oren (Orrin) Ford, b. September 18, 1858, Illinois, d. November 30, 1882.
- +Ellen Ford, b. May 06, 1859, Layafette, WI, d. March 16, 1906, Elgin, Wheeler, NE.
- Ealom Ford, b. 1861, Layafette, WI, d. 1865, Layafette, WI.
- +Philo James Ford, b. February 05, 1863, Layafette, WI, d. date unknown.