Williams, Teel, McGhee and Rivers Families of VA and NC:Information about Jordan COUNCILL
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Jordan COUNCILL (b. 1769, d. 10 Dec 1839)Jordan COUNCILL284 was born 1769 in Watauga Falls, Watauga County, NC284, and died 10 Dec 1839 in Wilkes County, NC284.He married Sarah HOWARD on 1794 in North Carolina, daughter of Benjamin HOWARD and Prudence SATER.
Notes for Jordan COUNCILL:
Notes for further study: Early Council Family in America:
John COUNCIL (b. abt 1623) who married Elizabeth DRAKE (b. abt 1623) in Springfield, Devonshire, England. They had two children, Hodges COUNCIL, Sr. and Isabella COUNCIL who married Col. William MAYO in Isle of Wight, VA.
Elizabeth DRAKE was the daughter of Adam DRAKE and Joan ROYCE who had a child Hodges, Jr.He married Lucy HARDY (daughter of John HARDY II and Alice BENNETT, the daughter of Thomas Bennett) between 1669-1775, Isle of Wight Co. VA. Children were Hodges III, John, Robert, Lucy, Hardy and Christian.
Olive COUNCIL, born about 1613, died after 1670, and married 1632 John HARDY. Olive was the daughter of John COUNCIL (1587-1631) of Bedfordshire, ENG., and Elizabeth DRAKE, daughter of William II DRAKE, also of Bedford.John COUNCIL was the son of William COUNCIL, born 1546, of Bedfordshire.
In 1666, at age 56, John HARDY Sr. received his first land grant. Land grants or "patents" were many times delayed for long periods of time, so he probably had been in the Colonies for well over 20 years upon receipt.He was granted 1150 acres for importing 23 persons including himself, his FIRST wife Olive COUNCIL, six of his children (George, Thomas, Richard, Isabel, John Jr., and Ann) as well as his future son-in-law William MAYO all of whom were born in England and he had never received a grant of land for their importation. After Olive's death about 1640, John married Alice BENNETT and had three daughters, Olive, Lucy and Deborah all born in Isle of Wight Co., VA
A History of Watauga County by John Preston Arthur: " Jordan Councill the First. - He married Sallie Howard, daughter of Benjamin Howard, and lived on the right hand side of the old road which led from Councill's Store to Jefferson, at what is now called the Buck Horn Tree place and where Jesse Robins in 1914 erected two houses.There is a fine spring near by.Councill's house was of logs.He was a farmer and a man of means."
From "History of Watauga County, NC" by John Preston Arthur:
"Jordan Councill, Sr. was born in 1769, lived at the Buck Horn Tree place, just east of the town of Boone and died December 10, 1839 in present day Watauga County, North Carolina.In 1800, Councill established Councill Store in what is now the town of Boone. This was the first store in Boone and was built on a dirt road cut out by Daniel Boone. The store was near the present downtown post office. For years this was the only store in this section and had a major influence in the beginning of Boone. Jordan Councill, Sr. married Sarah (Sallie) Howard, daughter of Benjamin Howard. Benjamin Howard was a British supporter during the Revolutionary War who hid out in a cave on the mountain that now bears his name (Howard's Knob)."
Children of Jordan Councill, Sr. and Sarah (Sallie) Howard were:
1) Charlotte (Lotti) Councill b April 16, 1795 Ashe Co., NC d November 1, 1843 in Present day Boone, Watauga Co., NC. She married John HARDIN.
2) Jordan Councill, Jr. b September 22, 1799 in present day Watauga, Co., d July 24, 1875 and married Sallie BOWERS September 23, 1823.
3) Sallie Councill, married Alfred MARTIN
4) Elizabeth Councill, married Willis McGHEE
5) Nancy Councill, m Col. Euclid BAIRD
6) Eliza Councill, m 1)George PHILLIPS, the father of Dr. J.B. Phillips; and 2) Rittenhouse BAIRD, the father of ex-Sheriff William B. Baird, who drowned in the Shallow Ford of the Yadkin River
7) Jesse Councill, m Sallie DIXON of Ashe County, NC
8) Benjamin Councill, Sr., married 1)Lizzie MAST; and 2)Temperance SHULL July 20, 1839.
More About Jordan COUNCILL and Sarah HOWARD:
Marriage: 1794, North Carolina.
Children of Jordan COUNCILL and Sarah HOWARD are:
- +Charlotte COUNCILL, b. 16 Apr 1795, North Carolina284, d. 01 Nov 1843, Boone, Watauga Co, NC284.
- +Nancy Louisa COUNCILL, b. 15 Jul 1796, North Carolina284, d. 1877, Marion, Tennessee284.
- +Jesse COUNCILL, b. 1797, Ashe Co, NC285, 286, d. Abt. 1877, Prob. Boone, Watauga Co, NC.
- +Jordan COUNCILL, b. 22 Sep 1799, Old Buckhorn Place, Ashe Co, NC287, 288, d. 24 Jul 1875, Boone, Watauga Co, NC288.
- +Rebecca COUNCILL, b. 20 Feb 1802, Ashe Co, NC288, d. 12 Aug 1863, Watauga Co, NC288.
- +Elizabeth COUNCILL, b. Jul 1808, Watauga County, NC, d. 08 May 1876, Watauga County, NC.
- +Benjamin COUNCILL, b. 10 Jan 1813, Ashe Co, NC288, d. 18 Dec 1857, NC288.
- +Rachel Eliza COUNCILL, b. 14 Mar 1816, North Carolina, d. 26 Mar 1900, Valle Crucis, Watauga Co, NC.