The Brothers Gililland of Missouri:Information about Robert GILILLAND
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Robert GILILLAND (b. April 01, 1806, d. October 09, 1874)Robert GILILLAND (son of John GILLILAND and Charity RICHARDSON)331 was born April 01, 1806 in Simpson, Kentucky, USA332, 333, and died October 09, 1874 in Lincoln County, Missouri.He married Anne MOORE.
Notes for Robert GILILLAND:
Last will processed 4 Nov 1874 by E. N. Bonfils, Clerk of Court,
Lincoln Count Missouri
Robert and his two brothers, John Richardson and Mathias,
apparently changed the spelling of the family name from
Gilliland to Gililland upon moving to Missouri in the early
Robert could not have come to Missouri with his brother John
Richardson. Birth records show John Richardson's first Missouri
child born in 1818. Robert's 8th child, John Richard, was born
in Kentucky in 1820. It is therefore assumed Robert came to
Missouri with much of his family after 1820.
enjamin A. GILILLAND is the son of Robert and Annie (MOORE)
natives of Kentucky, born in 1810 and 1809, respectively. The
GILILLAND came from the boggy part of Ireland at an early day,
and found a home
in Kentucky. The mother's people were from Virginia, though of
Robert GILILLAND and Miss MOORE were married in Kentucky, where
they lived until
1830, when they moved to Lincoln County, Mo. He was a blacksmith
and gunsmith by
trade, though he also carried on farming. During the Black Hawk
War, he enlisted
but peace was declared before he reached the scene of action. He
was at one time
a Whig, but after the dissolution of that party became a
Democrat. He was a fine
shot with a rifle, although he spent but little time in hunting.
He lived to be
sixty-six years of age. He was a member of the Missionary
Baptist Church, as is
also his wife, who is still living, and is in her eightieth
year. The father was
a stirring, energetic man, and although landing in St. Louis
with but one
dollar, he soon became the owner of 250 acres of land.
More About Robert GILILLAND:
Burial: Unknown, Old Liberty Cemetery, Lincoln County, Missouri.
Children of Robert GILILLAND and Anne MOORE are:
- Charity Emeline GILILLAND, b. Abt. 1825, Missouri, d. date unknown.
- +John R. GILILLAND, b. 1825, Missouri334, d. Bef. 1867.
- +Benjamin Alia Gililland, b. May 27, 1830, Simpson County, Kentucky334, 335, d. December 20, 1896, Montgomery County, Missouri.
- +Mary Ann GILILLAND, b. 1834, Missouri, d. date unknown.
- Martha A. GILILLAND, b. 1838, Missouri336, d. date unknown.
- Elizabeth F. GILILLAND, b. 1840, Missouri336, d. date unknown.
- William H. GILILLAND, b. 1842, Missouri, d. date unknown.
- Robert S. GILILLAND, b. 1844, Missouri336, d. date unknown.
- Matilda M. GILILLAND, b. 1847, Missouri336, d. date unknown.
- +George W. GILILLAND, b. 1852, Lincoln County, Missouri336, d. 1906, Lincoln County, Missouri337.
- Cora Belle GILILLAND, b. August 03, 1875, Lincoln County, Missouri, d. August 15, 1877, Lincoln County, Missouri.