"Godin Royer Bernard Page":Information about Valentine Hatfield
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Valentine Hatfield (b. Abt. 1789, d. June 16, 1867)Valentine Hatfield (son of Ephraim Hatfield and Maria Smith) was born Abt. 1789 in Washington county, Virginia (later Russell county Virginia), and died June 16, 1867 in Wyoming county, west Virginia.He married Martha Weddington in Washington county,Virginia.
Notes for Valentine Hatfield:
Valentine Hatfield,of Washington County,Virginia, married a Miss Weddington and came to Logan County and surveyed a tract of land on Horse pen Creek as early as 1841. This tract contained 43 acres and is still known as the old Hatfield Place. He was the father of nine sons and three daughters. His son Ali came to Mates Creek and took up 50 acres of land as early as 1835, and another son, Ephraim Hatfield entered a tract on Mate Creek when he married Betty Vance and settled in 1836. Ephraim was the father of "Devil Anse" Hatfield and the grandfather of Cap Hatfield of the McCoy fame.(from the records of Rev. G.P. Goode.)Valentine first appears in Washington County, Virginia which records his marriage to Martha Weddington. Valentine and his bride emigrated to what was then Logan County, West Virginia. He was one of the most prominent men of the region. Like his brother Joseph in Pike County, Valentine sired a large prolific family,he was the father of eight boys and three daughters. He became the founder of the Hatfield dynasty in West Virginia. His family settled nearby. Eli and Ephraim (Big Eaf),settled in Mate Creek,Thomas and Jacob settled on Gilbert Creek,Joseph settled on Ben Creek,James G.(Old Slater) and his brother John plus Phoebe settled in what is now Wyoming County,Jenny lived near the Wyoming ?Mingo County line at justice,West Virginia,opposite the mouth of Little Huff Creek. Valentine eventually in 1855 took up about seventy-five acres of land in the "Roughs" of the Guyandotte River, near Justice, where he died on June 16, 1867.
More About Valentine Hatfield:
More About Valentine Hatfield and Martha Weddington:
Marriage: Washington county,Virginia.
Children of Valentine Hatfield and Martha Weddington are:
- +Joseph Hatfield, b. 1806, d. 1893.
- Ali Hatfield, b. 1808, Virginia, d. 1870.
- +Ephriam Hatfield, b. April 11, 1812, Sprigg, Logan county, west Virginia, d. June 30, 1881, Newton,west Virginia.
- John Hatfield, b. 1809, Virginia, d. date unknown.
- Andrew Hatfield, b. 1809, Logan county, west Virginia, d. date unknown.
- Jane Hatfield, b. Abt. 1815, Virginia, d. date unknown.
- Thomas Hatfield, b. 1817, Pike county, Kentucky, d. 1880.
- Virginia Jane Hatfield, b. January 10, 1813, d. April 28, 1886, Justice, Logan county, West Virginia.
- Jacob Hatfield, b. 1820, d. date unknown.
- Celia Hatfield, b. 1823, d. date unknown.
- James G. Hatfield, b. 1824, d. date unknown.
- Alexander W. Hatfield, b. 1827, d. date unknown.
- Valentine Hatfield, b. 1831, d. date unknown.
- Phoebe Hatfield, b. Abt. 1828, Pike county, Kentucky, d. Abt. 1924.