The Larry N. Graham Home Page:Information about Thomas Bradford Jr
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Thomas Bradford Jr (b. 1734, d. 1779)Thomas Bradford Jr (son of Thomas Bradford and Elizabeth Smith) was born 1734 in Northampton County, N.C., and died 1779 in SumterCounty, South Carolina.He married Mary Moore, daughter of William Moore and Barbara Harrison.
Notes for Thomas Bradford Jr:
(Source:Boddie, John Bennett.Virginia Historical
THOMAS - was willed all of his father's Island land.On
November 25, 1770, as "Thomas Bradford of Craven County, SC."
He deeded to Nathaniel Moore of Northampton a survey of land
taken up by Captain Thomas Bradford by patent
of 3 November 1753, being an island in the Roanoke River, near
Capt. Richard Spann, containing 80 acres.Wits:John
(Another citation for above island land appears below, as shown
in the following reference:Margaret M. Hofmann.Colony of
North Carolina (1735 - 1764).Abstracts of Land Patents, Vol.
1, page 162.)
From Patent Book 5, page 93.THOMAS BRADFORD.30 March 1743.
80 Acres in Bertie County, being an island in Roanoke river
near Captain Spann's Island, joining a Swash, a stone at the
point of the Island, and the river.
It will be noted that these three brothers, Henry, Nathaniel
and Thomas Bradford, Jr., moved to Craven County, SC (Later
divided into Chester and Lancaster Counties.)
They were accompanied by the Moores and Paces, their
(p. 158 and 159)
The descendants of Thomas Bradford are still living in
Lancaster County.They say that he had a wife named Mary and a
daughter named Mary.The daughter married John Stover and had
two sons, one name William Bradford Stover and the other,
Thomas Bradford Stover.
The will books of Lancaster were burned in the Civil War, and
only the deeds remain. It seems that Thomas Bradford was
deceased before 1780, the year of William Moore's will, and
there is no further record of him.
The "Mary" that Thomas Bradford, Jr. married is thought to be
the daughter of William and Barbara Moore, for the following
1.Mary is mentioned in the will of William Moore as the
deceased mother of Isham Bradford.It is supposed that Mary
was a daughter of William Moore.Apparently, William wanted
to leave an inheritance of land to Isham since Isham appears to
have been the youngest son of Thomas and Mary. Isham was still
a minor and had lost both of his parents at the time of William
Moore's will, which was written9 August 1780,
2.In 1771, Thomas Bradford was given a Royal Land Grant of
400 acres.The plat for that land shows that William Moore's
land joined Thomas's land.It was customary for relatives to
purchase and occupy land as neighbors during the early Colonial
3.The names "William Moore" and "Thomas Bradford" appear
together as " Petit Jurors to the East Side of the Wateree
River". (See "The Jury Lists of South Carolina, 1778-1779",
compiled by Hendrix and Lindsay, 1976 ) Both men owned land on
the Wateree River in Sumter District, SC, during this time
period.When the names of jurors were gathered, it was much
like the procedure which would eventually be used by census
takers starting in 1790:recording the names of heads of
households, one by one, moving from one landowner's property to
the next.The lists were not alphabetically arranged.
4.The children of Thomas and Mary as well as their
descendents have names which show a direct link to the family
of William Moore and Barbara Harrison Moore.The names of the
Moore's children included the names of Isham,William Harrison,
and Leonard.These names are found in the children and
grandchildren of Thomas and Mary Bradford.
Isham Bradford of Claremont County, SC (later, Sumter County)
on March 1, 1791, deeded Thomas Pace and Nathaniel Pace, Jr. of
the county and state aforesaid, for 10 shillings, a tract
containing 225 acres on Swift Creek and 175 acres on the road
from Charleston to Camden, granted Thomas Stater, Aug. 12,
1751.(Lancaster BK.p. 80-81)
The above deed of ISHAMBRADFORD was recorded in Lancaster
County, where part of the land in question was situated.This
was in 1791 after the census of 1790 - the first in the United
States to be taken.
2.MARY - m. John Stover.John Stover died in Lancaster
County between 1788 and 1790, since he does appear in the
census of1790, although according to a deed he was living in
1788.This deed was from William Johnston and Jean, his wife,
of Lancaster, dated December 17, 1788.Same was in
consideration of 4,000 lbs. of tobacco for 100 acres of land
"where the said John Stover now lives."Witnessess:
THOMAS BRADFORD and SAMUEL BRADFORD.
The "widow Stover" was head of a family of four males under 16
and four females, including herself, in the Lancaster Census of
1790.She moved to Liberty Hill in Kershaw County, where as
"Mary Stober" in 1800 she had one son between 10 and 16, one
between 16 and 26, one daughter between 10 and 16, one between
16 and 26, and herself, between 26 and 45, in her household.
3.THOMAS - who with his brother Samuel witnessed the above
deed to John Stover in 1788, appears in the Census of 1790 for
Lancaster as head of a family consisting of himself, wife, one
son over 16, five under 16, one daughter and four slaves.In
Kershaw in 1800, where he evidently moved along with the
Stovers, he was head of a family of four males under 10 and
three females 10 to 16, also his wife and himself between 26
and 45.He does not appear in 1810 and evidently migrated to
the southwest, probably to Alabama, where the Stovers
afterwards moved. (Neither Thomas nor Samuel Bradford appear in
the Lancaster census of 1810)
4.SAMUEL - who also witnessed the deed of 1788, also appears
in the Lancaster County Census of 1790 as head of a household
consisting of himself, wife, one son over 16, and four slaves.
He does not appear either in Lancaster or Kershaw in 1800 and
therefore must have migrated.
Thomas Bradford arrived in the High Hills of Santee from North
Carolina in 1768.
(Source:Unpublished notes of Peter G. Sandlund)
The "High Hills of the Santee"area is on the western border
of South Carolina near the confluence of the Wateree and
Congaree Rivers.It begins about 100 yards east of the
confluence and runs northeast for several miles, rising to a
height in many areas of about 100 feet."General Thomas
Sumter, of Revolutionary [War] fame, made his home amidst the
High Hills of the Santee.When sore pressed by the British,
General Sumter would take refuge in the dense swamps of the
Wateree.Here he and his men at times regularly camped.The
days were long and the meals were often scant in this modest
retreat, so when the opportunity presented, they all came out
to the hills for food.Mrs. Sumter was quite accustomed to
having a hearty dinner prepared in the dead of night for his
band of Patriots.One night the feast had just been placed
before them, when the watchman cried, "The British are coming!"
In mad haste, they rushed away.General Sumter seized a large
ham and carried it safely to the depths of the swamp; there he
finished his repastunder the shining stars.,,, When the tale
of these High Hills of Santee is told it will be no history of
dreams, but of men who helped to make a nation.Their
inspirations were not bounded by the lofty forests.Nor their
strength measured by the mighty hills. Infinite possibilities
of successful achievements, wrought by patient courage, have
come down to us a precious heritage...."
(Source:C. Irvine Walker.The Romance of Lower Carolina:
Historic, Romantic and Traditional Incidents of the Colonial
and Revolutionary Eras, etc.Charleston: Art Publishing
Company, 1915.Pp. 131-132.)
p. 76-77.The once-renowned Harmony College stood near the
center of the state at the "Sumter Mineral Springs" in the High
Hills of Santee where the "graceful range lifts the beholder
over an expanded horizon and sends from its base...its
fountains of the most salubrious waters."An eloquent
description of the setting of this institution found in a
catalog continues in the same vein, stating that "along the
verge are several springs of various mild medicinal qualities.
No point, from the coast to the mountains, can compare with
this locality for health at all seasons....The air is dry,
bland and refreshing. No frogs, no marsh, no miasma, no
sluggish waters, no flooded lowlands.
"This school was built after a series of previous educational
institutions in the area known as BRADFORD SPRINGS. The
earliest owner of this land was THOMAS BRADFORD, who received
in 1771 a grant of 400 acres including the stream upon which
the Springs were found and named for the owner.
"The next owner was NATHANIEL BRADFORD,who had visions of
building a health resort.However, he sold a number of lots
from his holdings, one of which was bought by Dr. James
Hartley, who in turn sold it to Charles Spann [possibly a
relative of the Bradfords; see land deed for Thomas Bradford
from his father].Mrs. Spann opened a school for girls which
was operated for some years."
Later, this land was purchased by a company which established
the Bradford Springs Female Institute. "This school was
operated in 1849 with Rev. Edwin Cater as principal....It is
said that this school was a cultural influence in the community
and Mr. Cater was highly esteemed.
"Apparently, however, the venture of the Bradford Springs
Female Institute Co. was not financially successful, for in May
1853, the real estate and personal property went on sale. The
519 acres of land, the buildings, furnishings and chattels were
bought by Rev. Gilbert Morgan...for $10,000. He immediately
reopened the school as Harmony Female College.
(Source:Cassie Nichols.Historical Sketches of Sumter
Thomas Bradford owned land in the High Hills of the Santee, St.
Mark's Parish, as evidenced by the following memorial:
Memorial exhibited by ROBERT SINGLETON, to be registered in
Auditor's office.....250 acres in Craven County IN THE HIGH
HILLS OF THE SANTEE, St. Marks Parish. Bounding NW on Matthew
Singleton's and John Dargen's lands; NE on said Matthew
Singleton's; SE on THOMAS BRADFORD's and on William Moore's;
SW on Ann Bodely's land.Survey certified 12th November 1771,
and granted 16th January to Memorialist.Quit rent 3/ Sterling
or 4/Proclamation money per hundred acres, commencing two
years from date.In witness whereof he hath set his hand
hereunto 15th April 1772.
Delivered to the memorialist 29th June 1772 by ISHAM MOORE.
Isham Moore, D.S.
(Book 11, p. 201)
Source:Esker, Katie-Prince Ward.South Carolina Memorials,
Vol. 1, 1731-1776.Polyanthos publishers, 1973.Pp.114 - 115.
More About Thomas Bradford Jr:
Record Change: May 7, 2000
Children of Thomas Bradford Jr and Mary Moore are:
- +Isham Bradford, b. 1767, Charleston District, SC, d. Bef. February 20, 1835, East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana.