Anthony & Lesley Green Home Page:Information about Emma Shaw
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Emma Shaw (b. November 4, 1829, d. May 27, 1891)Emma Shaw (daughter of Aaron Shaw and Sarah (Shaw)) was born November 4, 1829 in Shoreditch, London, England133, and died May 27, 1891 in Tooting, London, England.She married (2) Edward Gibbons on October 9, 1851 in Shoreditch, London, England.She married (3) Arthur Gurney on March 16, 1854 in Lambeth, London, England, son of James Gurney and Sarah (Gurney).She married (4) Frederick G. Rimell on 1875 in West Ham, Middlesex.
Notes for Emma Shaw:
Information as to dates and places of birth of Emma Shaw's children comes from 1. Family Register of Arthur Gurney copied by Phyllis Pidoux Bull from a family album which she inherited from her mother. 2. The entries for the occupants of No.80 Farringdon Street, London in the English Census 1871 for the Parish of St. Brides. This gives Emma Gurney, Widow, head of household, a Licensed Victualler with eleven children, one barman and one general servant. Two children were working: Arthur G. (15) a draper and John I. (14) also a draper. There is an obvious tie-in with the fact that Andrew Aslet was in the drapery business and shortly afterwards Emma's eldest daughter was to marry his son, Richard Aslet, also a draper.
The English Census for 1861 shows the Gurney family living at 8 Mornington Rd Bow, in an apparently well-to-do neighbourhood. Arthur Gurney is given as a Wine Merchant. His wife Emma age 31 already has eight children, the youngest being Frances Elizabeth age 4 months. The household includes a nurse maid, an under nurse and a house maid. This was evidently the "lovely house" referred to by Grandma Aslet in her letter (see notes for Arthur Gurney) which had to be sold when Arthur Gurney was made bankrupt a few years later.
More About Emma Shaw:
Fact 5: November 4, 1829, date tallies with LDS Family Index.
More About Emma Shaw and Edward Gibbons:
Marriage: October 9, 1851, Shoreditch, London, England.
More About Emma Shaw and Arthur Gurney:
Marriage: March 16, 1854, Lambeth, London, England.
More About Emma Shaw and Frederick G. Rimell:
Marriage: 1875, West Ham, Middlesex.
Marriage Notes for Emma Shaw and Frederick G. Rimell:
Possible date of the marriage was obtained from Bernau's list of all references to Gurney in the Registrar General's returns of births marriages and deaths from 1837 to 1901.Emma was discovered in the 1881 Census index (copies of which are at Mormon Family History Library) by looking for the Gurney children in the London counties and finding two of them residing as step-daughters of Frederick G. Rimell, with their mother Emma, aged 51 (dates and ages and places of birth all correct) at 93 Geneva Road, Lambeth, Surrey.Eliza Gurney, unmarried, was aged 28 and Frances E. Gurney, unmarried, was aged 20.No occupation given for them or their mother. Frederick G. Rimell, aged 54, was a builder.
Children of Emma Shaw are:
- +Emma Shaw, b. December 23, 1850, Lambeth, or Brixton, London, England, d. December 14, 1932, Islington, London, England.
Children of Emma Shaw and Edward Gibbons are:
- Eliza Gibbons, b. 1852, Brixton, London, d. date unknown.
Children of Emma Shaw and Arthur Gurney are:
- Georgiana Eliza Gurney, b. 1854, Leytonstone, Essex134, d. date unknown.
- Arthur George Gurney, b. 1855, Leytonstone, Essex134, d. 1876, City of London.
- John Indermour Gurney, b. 1857, Leytonstone, Essex134, d. 1875, City of London.
- +Charles Gurney, b. 1857, Bow, London135, d. date unknown.
- James Gurney, b. 1859, Bow, London136, d. date unknown, Australia137.
- Frances Elizabeth Gurney, b. 1861, Bow, London138, d. date unknown.
- Horatio Albert Gurney, b. 1863, Stratford, Essex138, 139, d. date unknown, Ottery St. Mary, Devon140.
- Alexandra Minnie Gurney, b. 1864, Stratford, Essex141, 142, d. Abt. 1944, London143.
- Herbert Gurney, b. 1865, London West, London, England, d. 1866, London West, London, England.
- Florence Gertrude Gurney, b. 1866, London, East, d. 1873, City of London.