Anthony & Lesley Green Home Page:Information about John Pidoux
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
John Pidoux (b. October 3, 1848, d. May 4, 1891)John Pidoux (son of George Pidoux and Jane Martin) was born October 3, 1848 in Clerkenwell, London, England, and died May 4, 1891 in City of London, London, England.He married Clara Tomlin on November 14, 1871 in Hoxton, London, England, daughter of John Tomlin and Mary Ann Wrangham.
Notes for John Pidoux:
John Pidoux (1848-1891) was a wood carver who was employed at the time of his death by Maples, one of the largest London furniture companies of that time. According to his daughter Jessie, as related to my aunt Phyllis, he was a valuer for Maples and would go to country houses to value furniture for the owners. He was a skilled repairer of carvings, his method being to take a plaster cast of the undamaged part and use this to copy and reproduce a new section to replace the damage. My grandparents had a sideboard heavily carved which may have been from Maples although I was not told that it was. However, on the mantelpiece they kept a carved box (to my recollection about 7"x4"x4" deep) which was an apprentice piece made by my gt. grandfather and this I believe is now in Canada with my Uncle Charlie's branch of the family.
John Pidoux died in his 43rd year leaving a young family.
More About John Pidoux and Clara Tomlin:
Marriage: November 14, 1871, Hoxton, London, England.
Children of John Pidoux and Clara Tomlin are:
- Clara Maria Pidoux, b. October 18, 1872, London, England, d. 1942.
- +John Pidoux, b. August 13, 1875, London, England, d. December 12, 1953, Sidmouth, South Devon, England.
- +Alfred Pidoux, b. Abt. 1877, d. 1967.
- +Joseph Pidoux, b. Abt. 1883, London, England, d. date unknown, Rhodesia.
- Jessie Pidoux, b. September 13, 1885, London, England, d. Abt. 1983, Sussex, England.
- +James Robert Pidoux, b. Abt. 1886, d. date unknown.
- +Henry Thomas Pidoux, b. May 24, 1890, Shoreditch, London, England, d. October 10, 1975, Hassocks, Sussex, England.