Anthony & Lesley Green Home Page:Information about Thomas Wrightson
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Thomas Wrightson (b. 1765, d. October 30, 1828)Thomas Wrightson (son of Thomas Wrightson and Sarah (Wrightson)) was born 1765 in Yorkshire, England, and died October 30, 1828 in Kirk Leatham, Yorkshire, England.He married Elizabeth Bailes on May 29, 1815 in Stainton in Cleveland, Yorkshire, England, daughter of Anthony Bailes.
Notes for Thomas Wrightson:
SEE NOTES for Thomas Wrightson, Sr. for more extensive information about the family.
The foregoing account is extracted from Arthur Mee's bookTHE KING'S ENGLAND: YORKSHIRE, NORTH RIDING.This area became the county of Cleveland under the rearrangement of counties some years ago.
The Lord Mayor's Good Deed
KIRKLEATHAM.It is a place of noble trees.The great house with its embattled parapet stands in the park, and facing the lovely gates is the church with its creepered walls.The first church was old enough to come into Domesday Book, but this one was rebuilt in 1763, from designs by a village architect.It is in classical style, with six columns supporting the roof, and has an unusual appearance outside owing to the huge mausoleum dwarfing the chancel.The roof is like a stumpy spire crowned with a vase.
Chomley Turner built the mausoleum in 1740 as a resting-place for his son Marwood William Turner, who had died the year before at Lyons when on his way to Italy; we see him standing with his books about him.Chomley's own monument, by Scheemakers, shows him standing at an urn.Westmacott's monument to Charles Turner of 1810 has the figure of a woman by a sarcophagus.In the middle of the mausoleum is a marble sarcophagus to one whom Kirkleatham has good cause to remember, Sir William Turner. woollen draper and Lord Mayor of London; he founded the beautiful almshouses here, and died in 1692.In a rich recess in the sanctuary is the marble statue of his brother John, wearing the robes of a serjeant-at-law, and carrying his gloves.
The small brass portrait of a child, looking like a little Queen Elizabeth in her quaint dress, is of Dorothy Turner, who was only four when she died in 1628, a few years after William Turner acquired the estate.There is a fine brass portrait of Robert Coulthirst in rich robes; he was 90 when they buried him here in 1631, having lived in six reigns.To the 14th century belong a gravestone carved with a cross and a dagger, and the worn figure of a wimpled lady who was probably Eva de Bulmer.The stone coffin of a child in the mausoleum is said to be Danish.
An ironbound chest with carving of tracery and birds above leafy gables is medieval.To the 18th century belong the oak seats, the inlaid pulpit and reading desk, and the graceful font with a fine oak cover adorned with foliage, cherubs, and pinnacles like acorns.There is rich modern carving in the poppyheads of the stalls, and the altar is enriched with cherub-heads.On the altar is beautiful plate given by Sir William when he was Lord Mayor, and a silver dish said to have been washed ashore at Coatham in 1740.The church register goes back to 1559.The east window has A. K. Nicholson's lovely glass showing Our Lord with a rainbow, St Hilda with a goose beside her and a picture of Whitby Abbey, and St Cuthbert with a spade and an otter, on a rocky shore.On a rich mosaic ground in another window are Ruth and Naomi, and Moses with the Children of Israel.
Built round three sides of a square, with splendid gates and railings on the fourth side, the Lord Mayor's Hospital for poor folk and young folk is most imposing.By the gates is the stump of an elm planted in 1705 and now grown into a great tree, and in the courtyard is a statue of Justice by Christopher Wren.In the central range of the brick buildings is the stone chapel of 1742, crowned with a domed tower, and here and there on the walls are two sundials, statues of a boy and a girl, an old man leaning on his stick, and an old woman drawing her shawl about her shoulders.The chapel is delightful, with a small gallery, a marble floor, a fine roof, mahogany stalls, ornate candelabra, and two gilded chairs given to Sir William by Charles the Second.In the beautiful glass of the east window (glowing with orange and scarlet) are the Wise Men bringing gifts to a smiling Jesus in the arms of a blue Madonna, and beside them are Sir William in his mayoral robes and his brother John in scarlet.
Among hundreds of books in the library are many priceless first editions, an old service book from Salisbury, a rare set of Van Dyck etchings, and a manuscript translation of Boethius, every page illuminated with gold and colour.Here also are Sir William Turner's account books, kept in his own neat hand; at the top of every page written during the Plague are the words Praise God, and on another page a balance of £50,000 is followed by the words, "Blessed be Almighty God who has blessed me with this estate."
There are many treasures in the museum of the hospital, but the most amazing of all is a piece of boxwood believed to have been carved by an English sailor imprisoned in France.About 20 inches high, it is crowded with a host of tiny people, rearing horses, and lizards.St George is slaying the dragon, the princess turning away; and below the castle is a cave in which queer creatures are hiding.No Chinese ivory is more astonishing than this small carving, for which the British Museum is said to have offered £6000.We were told that the captive sailor spent 12 years on it, and that every detail is carved out of a single piece of wood.
In autumn 1995, Mary Ellinger Green and Lesley D. Green ( wife of Mary's brother Anthony Raymond Green) visited Kirk Leatham and were given a tour of the church which is now closed for regular worship but was specially opened for our visit.We were also welcomed at Sir William Turners Hospital by the Administrator, Mr. Alan Wordsworth and were given a tour to see the former Master's House, now made into two apartments, and the former schoolroom where the boys were taught.The Hospital housed ten poor men, ten poor women, ten orphan boys and ten orphan girls.One wing housed the men and boys with a house for the Master who apparently was both the schoolmaster and the administrator of the establishment under the direction of the Governor who was the current descendant of Sir William Turner until 1810 when the line died out. The opposite wing housed the women and girls with a house for the Mistress.
More About Thomas Wrightson and Elizabeth Bailes:
Marriage: May 29, 1815, Stainton in Cleveland, Yorkshire, England.
Children of Thomas Wrightson and Elizabeth Bailes are:
- William Wrightson, b. March 1816, d. date unknown.
- Elizabeth Wrightson, b. August 1818.
- +Henry Alfred Wrightson, b. June 14, 1820, Kirk Leatham, Yorkshire, England, d. January 31, 1907, Scarborough, Yorkshire, England.
- James Wrightson, b. May 1822.