| ||Notes for JOHN HAMPTON, SR:|
John Hampton (2) distributed his father's land to his brothers in 1705. The significance of that year is uncertain. It was the year David, the next oldest brother turned 21. John's (1) widow, Jane Hampton of Freehold, NJ married Benjamin Fitz-Randolph, of Woodbridge, NJ - April 12, 1706. She was left possession of John's (1) land until her death or remarriage and she didn't remarry until 1706. The Friends Record of Shrewsbury NJ show for 1706-7, the marriage of the 1702 widow of the immigrant John Hampton [this would be the marriage of Jean Curtis Ogbourne Hampton to one Mr. Fitz-Randolph], of Freehold NJ, with John (2) & Isabell Hampton as witness, along with Charles Gordon and wife Lydia (Hampton), Robert and Jennet (Hampton) Ray, David Hampton.Source: RB Cox notes from Roberta Rose.
David Hampton, brother John Hampton (2), left his will in 1710, in Freehold, Monmouth County, New Jersey naming wife Mary, son George under 15; and subsequent records suggest a child David was born after his death. Wife Mary and brother John Hampton (2) and George Commen (Cummin) were Executors. John Hampton took "oath as Executor," suggesting he had left the Quakers. The 1711-12 will of one George Cummin mentions his children David, Margaret, Mary & Christian and son-in-law John Hampton as one of the Executors. Best available evidence indicates that John Hampton was married to Christian Cummin.
August 17, 1711, John sells land to Thomas Combs.
1712 Will, probably Margaret Comin/Cummin/Cumming (Hampton)'s brother, mentions George and Isabel, children of John Hampton. John was executor of the will. ..... GEORGE COMIN, (sic.) rem. to P. A., soon, and 1711-2, Mar. 22, made his will, prov. April 2, 1712, (ARCH., Vol. XXIII, pp. 103-4); hence, he then was d. It names no wife, nor his son, GEORGE, Jr., (infra). But, names chil., David, Margaret, (then, Frazer, wife of John), Mary, (then, Barnet), dau. d., wife of "son-in-law," JOHN HAMPTON, and Christian, who may have been that dau. "Home farm of 300 acres on the South side of the Raritan River." He had a son, WILLIAM CUMMINS, (infra).
George Comin (Commen) [Cummin],Will of. Children -- David, Margaret, Mary and Christian. Home farm of 300 acres on the South side of Raritan River, bought of Andrew Galloway ~ personal property. Executors, son-in-law John Hamton and John Ireland. Witnesses -- John Hutton, Thomas Coomes, John Fraizer. Proved 02 Apr 1712. Lib. 1, p. 361, Database: Full Context of Calendar of New Jersey Wills, 1670-1760Calendar of New Jersey Wills, Vol. 11670-1730. Part I Calendar of New Jersey Wills .
GEORGE CUMMINS OF S. I. - In 1678, he was constable of S. I., (vide, ante, PART TWO, p. 155). And, had land there (idem, same p.). In 1680, he was listed, (vide, ante, PART ONE, p. 125); however, his origin was at Jamaica, L. L., where in 1660-62, he was a settler, (vide, ante, PART ONE, p. 108), and his association with CALEB CARMAN seemed to be ever present, as well as the MATTHEWS family. 1695, he, GEORGE CUMMINS, was at W. (ARCH., Vol. XXI, p. 241.)By 1711, GEORGE CUMMINS, was of PISC., for he signed the Petition of that year, (vide, ante, PART THREE, p. 379).
Peter Perrine, of Staten Island, bought land, 1713, of John Hampton of Monmouth.
August 17, 1711 ....... (22 of April, 1714 - 13 May 1720 - Freehold, Monmouth Co NJ Deeds, Book E., page 361)- Deed between Thomas COMBES of Freehold Township in the County of Monmouth, New Jersey and John REID, land granted to Thomas by John HAMPTON and his wife Christian in a deed dated August 17, 1711. At the end it states "and Elizabeth the wife of the said Thomas doth fully and freely give and yield up unto the said John REID all her right and title of Dower and Intrest. A memorandum to this deed dated the 13th of May 1720 states that "Thomas COMBS above named--- Acknowledged this instrument to be his act & deed before me, John REID." (Abstracted by Combs Researcher Kate C. DiBlassio)
The 1715-16 New Jersey will of one David Commin (Cumine), mentions David Hampton son of David Hampton deceased; and Isabell & George, children of John Hampton (2). John Hampton (2) was one Executor of this will of David Commin.
DAVID CUMMINGS of PISCATAWAY - - - He was the son of the foregoing GEORGE CUMMINS. He d. in 1716, a will, dated 1715-16, Feb. 7, called "Commin, David, Piscataway, N. J., cord wainer." (ARCH., Vol. XXIII, p. 104). His sister, Margaret, was a witness to the will of JOHN BOWNE, 1714, Sep. 14, Mattewan, Mon. Co., merchant, (q. v., idem, p. 50). First Settlers of Ye Plantations of Piscataway and Woodsridge Olde East New Jersey part 5
David Commin Date: 07 Feb 1715-6 Location: Piscataway, N.J.- cordwainer ~ will of. Divides personal estate, incl. a Bible and books, between Margaret Frazer, David Hampton, son of David Hamton dec'd, Isabell and George, children of John Hamton, Mary Barnet, Hugh Frazer, John Hamton, making the last two executors. Witnesses--Edmuns Dunham, Robert Webster, Sam'l Walker. "Proved before me Jas. Smith."
INVENTORY of JOHN BOWNE, Mercht, deceased, at Matawan, Momouth Co., Dated Apr. 9, 1716. Proved by Executors, Obadiah Bowne and Richard Saltar, Apr. 11, 1716, before Ro. Hunter. NOTES: NOTE THAT MANY OF THESE DEBTS WERE "ON THE BOOK" OR LISTED "BY THE BOOK".EVIDENTLY, A PERSON (THERE ARE A VERY FEW WOMEN) BORROWED THE MONEY BY SIGNING THE BOOK SO THEY WERE INDEBTED TO JOHN BOWNE "BY THE BOOK"!
Debts Due upon Mortgages ...£ s dBy John Hampton23--12--00--3
It is not known which John Hampton was indebted to the estate of Bowne.
In Virginia, after Governor Spotswood in 1716 rode out from Williamsburg to the Shenandoah Valley with his Knights of the Golden Horseshoe, the area was promoted for settlement, word was circulated to all parts of the bountiful lands, with the apparent hope that the publicity would encourage movement west. Little came of it at the time.
Earlier in Elizabethtown, New Jersey in 1717, the children of one George Ross elected James Hampton as their guardian. This James Hampton was probably the son of the 1683 immigrant to East Jersey, the Andrew Hampton with will of 1738.
The John Hampton born Scotland 1681, is by good evidence the same as found in the Shenandoah Valley land records as John Hampton Sr., with sons George, Thomas, and daughter Isabel Hampton Johnson Jump. SOURCE: R.B. COX NOTES - PROVIDED BY ROBERTA ROSE. It should be noted that there is no mention of a son Andrew.
Noah Hampton, John, Jr. & Sr. and Andrew Hampton - all first settled along the Opequon between what is now Middleway and Leetown in Berkeley County WV.Source: JW Foster.
John bought brother Jonathan's NJ land in 1713 (originally inherited from their father in 1702), then sold the last of his Freehold, NJ land in 1714.Almost no mention of John is found in the records of the next sixteen years, until he shows up as one of the first settlers in what later became Frederick County, VA, (circa 1730). John was getting on in years by then, approximately 50, his brother Noah, sons George & Thomas, John, Jr. and an Andrew Hampton were leaders in the settlement of the northern Shenandoah Valley. The deed of John Hampton, selling his NJ land was signed by a wife Christian, the daughter of Geoge Cumming. Source: JW Foster.
A local historian in NJ, by name of Hornor, in his ~ This Old Monmouth or Ours at page 301, cites the son John Hampton (2) as first married to Isabel Redford, daughter of the Quaker William Redford, who came from Scotland in 1683 at the same time as the immigrant John Hampton (1) and whose 1720 Freehold NJ will names children of my daughter Isabel Hamton - deceased. This Isabell deceased by 1720, would have been the mother of the Isabell Hampton Johnson Jump, early in the Valley. Source: RB Cox notes from Roberta Rose.
The 1720 will in Freehold, NJ - by William Redford shows his daughter Isabell Redford Hampton as deceased, leaving her children 10 lbs to be equally divided. Redford also left like amounts to other grandchildren, and five pounds to Shrewsbury Quaker Meeting.
Hornor makes a best guess that the son John Hampton b. 1681, as first married to Isabel Redford, and second to George Cummings daughter (Christian), with a son William Hampton by the first marriage and children George and Isabell by the second marriage. Source: RB Cox notes from Roberta Rose.
Our Hampton forefathers (from New Jersey) were not traders, adventures, hunters, etc. It would seem unlikely that they would have ventured beyond the 50-75 mile (from Philadelphia) frontier boundary of civilization when migrating from NJ circa 1715-20. Migration into VA didn't really gain any significant momentum until the 1730s. Most likely our Hamptons were in either PA, MD or NJ and possibly the so-called "disputed area."
August 12, 1727, the Will of Conelius Tomson of Freehold mentions farm with a meadow bought of John Hampton.
The early immigrant groups into the Valley were, not surprisingly, the same immigrant groups found in PA, MD and NJ - the Germans and the Scots-Irish, Welsh and Quakers. As early as 1726 or 1727, it has been recorded that a small group of German settlers were squatting onland int the Valley near Massanutten.
The main route of migration from the east for many began in Philadelphia. It was called "The Great Wagon Road" and began in Philadelphia as the Philadelphia Wagon Road, ran west through the middle of Pennsylvania. From Philadelphia (on today's maps), it crosses Delaware Co., then Chester Co., Lancaster Co., York Co., and exits PA at the southwestern corner of Adams Co. It continues into Washington Co., WV though Berkeley Co., through Frederick Co., Shenandorn Co., Rockingham Co., Stauton Co., Rockbridge Co., Botetourt Co., and the branches at Roanoke Co. on into the Carolinas. There is an excellent map of the trail in Everton's Handybook for Genealogists, 9th edition.
The Great Wagon Road brings visions to many of the large Conestoga Wagons (first built along that road in Conestoga, Pennsylvania) pulled by large teams of oxen or horses. This was not such a road in the early days; in fact, much of its length offered only passage for one or two horses at a time. It wasn't until later that this could really be called a wagon "road."
In 1730, Alexander Ross and Morgan Bryan (both with Quaker backgrounds and relations) appeared before the Governor and Council of Virginia and from them received a grant of 100,000 acres on the Opequon River in Frederick County, Virginia. This encouraged the move of many who followed them to the Virginia back country. Many of these people moved through the Monocacy area of Maryland.
Benjamin Borden (1692-1743), a Friend from Freehold, New Jersey, was an ambitious businessman. When King Carter died in 1732, Borden sailed to England and applied to Lord Fairfax to succeed Carter as Fairfax' land agent. When Borden did not get the job, he promptly returned to Freehold, moved his family to Virginia and in 1736, got a patent of 99,129 acres.
Many settlers from Pennsylvania, Maryland and New Jersey were the first contingents to arrive around the 1730's in "The Valley" of Virginia. Early Orange County records show the presence of John Hampton Sr. and Jr., Noah Hampton, Henry Hampton and others - all in the northern end of the Shenandoah Valley. Henry Hampton was a son in law of Peter Wolfe, an associate of Joist Hite, who came into the Valley from Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania in the fall of 1731. Hite had sold his mill in Pennsylvania and bought a small number of families with him to Virginia. Peter Wolfe was from New Jersey and obtained 600 acres of land about 1734.
Virginia's method for administering its real estate policy is interesting. Large grants were made to land speculators rather than creating a corps of civil servants to handle it. In 1732, Joist Hite acquired one such grant of 100,000 acres on Opequon Creek in the Shenandoah Valley.
When the first records of what later became Frederick County, VA, began, eldest son John was already living on the Opequon Creek. Within a short time,John Jr. and Andrew lived on adjacent property along the Opequon and eldest son John's brother Noah had what is believed to be the first mill in the Shenandoah Valley just north of the other three Hamptons. At that time Orange County encompassed areas later to be called Frederick and Augusta Counties. Source: JW Foster
Where did John spent the years 1714-1730? New Jersey Quakers moved across the Delaware into Bucks County, PA, or south to the border between Cecil County, MD, and Chester County, PA. The location of that border was in hot dispute between the two states and the record keeping was less than satisfactory. David Hampton's sons (David and Gorge Hampton) and Andrew Hampton (b. circa 1689, son of Immigrant John) are known to have moved into the border area.
John Smith and John Hampton Jr. covenanted to divide a patent, Hampton to get 150A, west end. Surveyed and patented by John Smith 21 Aug. 1734, 420A on Opeckon Creek at Turkey Spring. Hampton assigned his right to William Hiett and Simion Woodrow. 60A to Woodrow, 90A to Hiett. West side Shenando River and on Opeckon Creek at a place called Turkey Spring. Div. comes between Hiatt and Woodrow crossing Opeckon Creek to stone by a run coming from John Smith's mill. Wit: Samuel Brattan, Rees Smith, William Smith, John Smith ackn. 22 June 1738. Commission to Morgan Morgan, Benjamin Borden and William Russell to take acknow. of Jane, wife of John Smith, who is too sickly and impotant to travel to court. 5 Jan 1738/9 We certify that Jane Smith is dead. 22 Feb 1738/9 Returned signed by Benjamin Borden and Morgan Morgan. Jane Smith GCT from Chester MM, Pa. 26 of 5 Mo., 1736 to Hopewell. Quaker Yeoman, by James Bellarts, Vol 14, #3, Pct. 1987, pg. 3, Hiatt Notes: Contains several references to the Hiatt and Smith families; viz. John Hiett's brother in law, John Smith, had by 1711 married Jane Hinton, dau. of Rees Hinton. Records for John Smith were found in Lancaster Co., Penn. and Orange Co., Ca. John Smith sold a part of the land he had inherited from his father to Henry Hollingsworth, son of Valentine Hollingsworth. It is a matter of record that Stephen Hollingsworth, son of Henry, moved to Orange Co., Va, from Cecil Co., Maryland Abt. 1733. John Hiatt Jr. purchased land from Stephen Hollingsworth in 1737.
Sometime before 1735, Alexander Ross and Morgan Bryan applied for a patent on land in the northern Shenandoah Valley. The patent was awarded 12 November 1735. Indications are Ross, Bryan and about 70 other families were already living on the land. Including Ross and Bryan, most if not all were formerly New Jersey Quakers recently residing in Chester, PA and Cecil Co, MD.
Only 34 of the 70 families recorded their deeds. Other early pioneers in what became Frederick settled on land they had surveyed, marked boundaries and claimed through what they believed to be a legal process. After the formation of Frederick County a land office was opened to make land grants, and these later grants were made to newcomers for land on which the original settlers already lived. The results were enough lawsuits to keep the Virginia courts busy for many years. When he died in 1751, John Hampton, Jr., was living on disputed land. He willed the land, and the lawsuits it is presumed, to his sons.Source: JW Foster. **The "Junior," used in referencing John could also mean younger versus the elder John Hampton Sr., thus distinguishing between their ages rather than relationship as father and son.
John Hampton and Noah Hampton show on Orange County Court records for the period after 1736. John Sr. and Noah Hampton were by best evidence the brothers named in the 1702 Freehold will of the immigrant John Hampton. Source: RB Cox notes from Roberta Rose.Noah along with adjoining property of John Hampton Sr & Jr and an Andrew Hampton stretched for almost a mile along Opequon Creek, beginning about a mile North of the present border between VA & WV A. Source: JW Foster
1738 - Orange County Court Orders cite some sixty settlers in a suit brought by one William William, an early dissenting minister in the area. Williams appears to have come to the Valley from the disputed area between Pennsylvania and Maryland at the head of the Chesapeake Bay. Williams had charged the settlers with "signing scandalous papers reflecting on ye complainant." Orange County records show Williams lost this case as well as others in the county.Rev. William Williams, reportedly was a Welsh Presbyterian minister. Noah, Andrew and John Hampton, were among those Rev. Williams sued.
In Williamsburg, VA- 18 May 1742, the Governor and Council heard the petition of John Hampton and granted him 500 ac on the South Branch of the Potomack, beginning at the lower end of the Rough Mountain, and running down the south side of the river to the land of Patrick Cogan. This tract then shows in Orange Co. VA. By letter of 21 Aug 1975, the head of the Archives Branch, Virginia State Library, Richmond, advised that a land office document cannot be round to show that this authorized grant was ever carried through to completion or execution. Source: RB Cox notes from Roberta Rose.
In 1742 Thomas Turner filed suit against John Hampton and four others over what appears to be a dispute involving unrecorded deeds. In 1746 and 1747, John sold most of what he owned and deeded the rest to his sons George and Thomas (some believe, in order to protect those holdings against lawsuit).S:JW Foster.
Thomas Turner, deceased in Frederick County, Virginia on 10 February 1743/44 (will proved 8 June 1744) left sons Anthony, John, Robert and Roger; daughters Ann Sullen/Sutten and Sara Pickken (Pickren). His son John was deceased by 25 March 1742 when Thomas filed suit against John Hampton, Charles Phillips, Abraham Pennington, Zebulon Cantrell and James McKee in reference to the estate of John Turner. His son Roger and his wife Elizabeth were living on 125 acres of Morgan Bryon's 400-acre patent land by 1742.121 (Tract 81, Map 2). poofcv/44/kh [Was this John Jr or Sr? - kh]
Following info. from Karleen Phillips and book, "Pioneers of Old
Frederick County, Virginia...", pg. 44.
This is in regard to "Thomas Turner, deceased in Frederick Co., VA.,
on Feb. 10, 1743/1744 (will proved 8 June 1744) left sons Anthony, John,
Robert and Roger; daughters Ann Sullen/Sutten and Sara Pickken
(Pickren). His son John was deceased by 25 March 1742 when Thomas filed
suit against John Hampton, Charles Phillips, Abraham Pennington, ZEBULON
CANTRELL and James McKee in ref. to the estate of John Turner. His son,
Roger, and his wife, Elizabeth, were living on 125 acres of Morgan
Bryon's 400-acre patent land by 1742. (Tract 81, Map 2)
JW Foster reports that one of the first court orders in the new Frederick County (1743) appoints John Hampton as County Appraiser.
9 Feb 1746 - John Hampton ~Senor" - records in Frederick Co. VA - a deed of Bargain & Sale to Ralph Humphries, for the plantation and dwelling where he then lived. Later the name Ralph Humphries appears with the establishment of the new town of Frankford, today Franklin, SW of Petersburg W VA. Wed., 6 May, 1747 - John Hampton in open court acknowledged the Bargain & Sale, and on the motion of Ralph Humphries, the deed was admitted to record. Source: RB Cox notes from Roberta Rose.
28 August 1747 John Hampton, the elder (Sr) of Frederick Co, VA - by gift deed, "for love and affection he hath for two sons George Hampton and Thomas Hampton," gives in equal portions all of his estate real and personal, debts due by me contracted "within the Colony." Sons George and Thomas were also charged with supporting and defending against certain actions "prosecuted against me by the Administrators of Jonathan Jaycocks deceased."John Hampton Sr. appeared in court and acknowledged this gift deed to sons George and Thomas Hampton, 4 Nov, 1747. Witness: George Johnston, Bushrode Daggett, Margaret Johnston, Jean (X) Isaacs. Source: RB Cox notes from Roberta Rose.
Gift deeds often served as the last will and testament for these early settlers. The appearance of John Hampton Sr. in Frederick Court on 4 Nov, 1747, apears to be and may be his last record in the area. The John Hampton born in Scotland in 1681, would have been about 66 yrs of age in 1747, not an unusual age of death for these old pioneers on the frontier.
JW Foster attributes John Jr (d. 1751) and Andrew Hampton (b. 1710) as possibly the sons of this John Hampton Sr.
5 Dec 1998 Wilbourn Edward Wilbourn appears in court records in Pr. Wm. Co. from about 1754. After Fauquier was formed, he is shown in Fauquier Co. from 1759 until he moved to Granville Co., NC, Nap of Reed's District, ca. 1768/1769. He brought land in Granville Co., NC in Jan, 1769 fromJohn Hampton,
who may have had Fauquier connections. Edward Wilbourn and wife second wife, Mary, daughter of Alexander St. Clair of Stafford and Pr. Wm., sold the last of the land she had inherited from her father in Fauquier Co. as late as the 1790s, I believe. Edward lived on land adjoining Francis Tennell whose wife Margaret was a sister to Mary St.Clair Wilbourn. Seek information on other Wilbourns in the area in the 1750's and before; we need Edward's parents and siblings. There is a Duke Wilburn mentioned in a Pr. Wm. court record in the 1750's. Does anyone know of him? Edward Wilbourn, as well as many others in Fauquier in the 1760s, seems to have often been sued for relatively small amounts of money. Was this tied to tobacco farming, or were these just hard times then? I would be interested in learning about the economy. Eager to hear from any others interested in the Wilbourn (all types of spelling and St. Clair (often spelled Sinclair) families. Thank you! Pansylea Willburn email@example.com
Pg 142 poofcv
John Hyet Sr. (b. 1700 c.) and William Hyet attended the marriage of Thomas Oldham of Chester County, Pennsylvania and Rachel Littler, daughter of John Littler, at a public assembly of Quakers and others at Nottingham Meeting Place on the 3rd day, 5th month (July), 1728. Others in attendance were John Littler, Thomas Oldham, Joshua Littler, Mary Gowles, Samuel Littler, Susana Oldham, John Minshall, Mary Littler, Alexander Ross, MaryOldham, William Smith, John Walter, Martha Walter, Jane Smith, Chrislia Musgrove, Elizabeth Musgrove, Mary Leonard, Roger Dyer, George Leonard, Moses Musgrove, Aron Musgrove, Robert Green, Ann Green, Katherine Leonard, Mary Woodrow, Rachel Moor, Margret Miller, Hannah Jones, Jane Jones, Mary Pierce, Mary Miller, Mary Jones, Morgan Jones, Caleb Pierce, Andrew Moore, Andrew Baxter, Samuell Miller, David Nickols, Samuel Jones, Francis Jones, Isaac Woodrow and Samuel Jones.
John and William Hiet/Hyet/Hyatt/Hiatt (probably son and brother of John Hyet of Chester County, Pennsylvania) who had first moved just north to Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; subsequently, all three of them had moved to Orange County, Virginia by 1734 when John Jr. (John Sr. by 1751) had 300 acres of land surveyed by James Wood on 28 November 1734.
He sold 200 acres of the surveyed 250-acre tract described above to Edward Thomas, who sold to Richard Fowler, who sold to Walter Briscoe, who sold to Thomas Lindsey. Richard Fowler applied for a warrant from the Proprietors Office for this tract which was included within a 405-acre tract ("where Fowler lives east side of Opechon Creek") with a 2 August 1750 warrant date and a 12 October 1750 survey date. He also applied for a second tract which was surveyed on 12 October 1751 "for 399 acres on west side of Opechon Creek where he (Fowler) lives and has Large Improvements." On 14 March 1755, Fowler received a Fairfax grant (H- 624) for the 405 acres which was now 437 acres; subsequently, Lindsey received a Fairfax grant for the same land (K-263) on 31 March 1761. Fowler received a Fairfax grant (H-612) for the 399- acre tract on 17 January 1755 while Lindsey's Fairfax grant for the same land was on 30 March 1761.95 In September 1770, Thomas Marshall (Surveyor of Frederick County) surveyed this 250-acre tract which actually contained 329 acres. Among others, George, John, Isaac and James Hyett laid claim to part of this land under the proprietary deed to Thomas Lindsey.
William purchased 90 acres from John Smith on 6 June 1738, having been assigned same by John Hampton Jr., Smith's co-owner of the land. (Tract 11A, Map 4)
William received three Fairfax grants; 184 acres adjacent north of John Smith's patent land on 26 June 1751 (Tract 11, Map 4); 195 acres "where he lives" adjacent south of Smith's patent land on 24 June 1751; and 400 acres adjacent south of his 195-acre grant land on 30 October 1754.98 His son George received a Fairfax grant for 292 acres adjacent south of the 400 acres on 3 September 1766 and between them, running from the south line of George's land to the north line of William's, totaling almost four miles of land.
Pg 496 poofcv
Jacob Hite and others petitioned the Frederick County Court on 8 June 1744 for a Road from the Chappel (Morgan's at Bunker Hill, West Virginia) to Keys Ferry. James Anderson (Tract 165, Map 4), John Hampton (adjacent south of James Anderson), Jacob Hite (Tract 116, Map 4) and Thomas Rutherford (Tract 127, Map 3, Charlestown, West Virginia) were ordered to view, mark and layoff the same the nearest and best way from the said Chapel by Andersons Mill then fall into the Road from Capt. Campbell's to said ferry. On 14 July 1744, Hite, Rutherford and Hampton returned their view of the road from Chapel to Keys Ferry by way of Thomas Anderson to William Mitchell (east of Opequon Creek) to Jacob Hite to road from ferry to Capt. Campbell near Capt. Thomas Rutherford. William Mitchell and Jacob Brooks were selected to serve as overseers of the road. poofcv/kf
On the same date (27 July 1738), William Williams filed a "Suit by Complaint" against 54 Defendants for "signing a Scandalous paper reflecting on the Complaintiff" (Williams). The following defendants "humbly acknowledged their Error, begging pardon, were excused paying their Costs": Daniel Chancey, James Brown, Samuel Wilson, Phillip Jobson, William Wilburn, John Woodfin, David Logan, Paul Williams, John Rist John Hyet Jeremy Williams Paul Williams Jr, John Grayham, John Tradan, Rees Smith, Abraham Yeats, Andrew Hampton, Samuel Hews, James Delahay, Samuel Britton.
The following defendants could not be "found by the Sheriff and the Complaint was dismissed":
Peter Hyet, William Homes, William Burley, Thomas Potts, John Stuart, Francis Ross, William Fulton.
Other defendants involved were: John Smith, John Petite, Jonathan Curtis, Cornelius Newkirk, Enock Freeland, Tunis Hood, Jeremiah Poor, James Sargent, William Smith, John Smith Junior, Tunas Newkirk, Henry Newkirk, Zebulon Canterel Darby McCever, Joseph King, William Saterfield, Joseph Canterel, John Pitts, Andrew Clemons, Samuel Hayward, Thomas McCleduff, George Hyet, Thomas Heart, Henry Robinson, William Rust, Nicholas Knight .
The suit against John Smith was abated on 24 August 1738 by the "Death of John Smith."On 22 March 1738/39, the Orange Court awarded Williams 10 pounds, 1 shilling and 1 penny, plus his costs, for the "Action of Debt" suit against Darby McCever; McCever was one of the guarantors on a 20-pound Bond to Williams.
In the "Action of Debt" jury trial against Noah Hampton, John Lilburn ("with John Lilburn being dead this suit abated against him"), Neil Thompson and John Hampton, Williams was awarded "300 pounds Sterling to be discharged on payment of 59 pounds 19 shillings and 3 farthings Current money and 847 pounds of Tobacco with interest (5%) thereon from 27 July 1738 until paid together with costs of Suit." The jury trial was held on 8 September 1739 with final agreement concluded 26 September 1740. [Thus it would seem that Noah was still in the Opequon area in 1740, but this is not proven. - kh]
Williams also had an "Action of Debt" filed against Thomas Rutherford and Samuel Walker in which he made claim on a 74-pound Bond signed by Samuel Brittain; the court discharged the claim on 25 March 1743 against Brittain with the payment of 37 pounds and interest from 15 June 1742, plus costs of suit. He was appointed Constable on 24 July 1740 "in the Room of Samuel Scott" and on 23 June 1743, he petitioned the court "for a road to be cleared from the County road leading by Captain Campbell's to the road coming from Teague's Ferry to Kersey's Ferry. "
Reverend William Williams had two tracts of land surveyed on 4 and 6 April 1754. One tract contained 427 acres adjacent northeast of his 225-acre patent land for which his son-in-law received a Fairfax grant on 26 February 1761. The other tract contained 400 acres located two miles northeast at present-day Winebrenners Crossroads, Berkeley County, West Virginia, for which his sons-in-law Joseph Chapline of Maryland and Benjamin Chambers of Pennsylvania received a Fairfax grant on 27 February 1761. Both tracts were assigned (sold) by Williams. He claimed another tract of 110 acres adjacent south on Opequon Creek that John Strode also claimed. Strode sold the 110 acres (c. 1753) to Benjamin Willingsford/Waringsford and "built a log cabin thereon and being threatened by one Williams sold my right to one William Burns" and that soon after the said Williams "set fier to the said cabin and burnt it down. (signed) Ben Waringsford." Even after his death, the Reverend gained another victory when Fairfax issued a grant for this land to Williams' son-in-law, Col. Benjamin Chambers, in 1764. Williams had moved to Frederick County, Maryland by 23 September 1759, when he wrote his will, referring to himself ...