|I have worked on the Hertsel-Cox, Smith-Tyler families for a long time. The mentioned families all lived in Whitley County Indiana from 1845.They were some of the early German immigrants from Ohio and Pa.Most of them owned farms in Indiana.Later some moved to Elkhart, Indiana and then into Cass County, Michigan. |
My interest in family history started with old photgraphs. I did not know the names of the people in them.All of my family members have been extremly helpful.
The home page also includes my husband's family:Areklet-Goosen.
The Areklet family came from Norway in the late 1800's.Bert met and married Lena Andrews in Muskegon, Mi.They moved to Golden Township, Oceana County, Michigan where they were fruit farmers.Corneilius and Theresa Goosen "Goossen" moved to America from Belgium in 1913. Corneilius farmed 80 acres in South Riverton Township, Mason County, Michgian.
If anyone can add any information to it in any way, please contact me.Also I will be happy to share information with others.
My father Ralph Hertsel. A kind and gentle soul passed away August 5, 1999 and I would like to dedicate this search to his memory.I want his Great, Great, Great Grandchildren to know he existed and was a good man.
- Frank and Anna Goosen-Areklet (84 KB)
Carl Areklet, Frank and Anna Areklet and Lula Shoutz-Areklet on Frank and Anna's wedding day.June 11, 1938.
- Ralph LeRoy Hertsel (118 KB)
Ralph Hertsel World War II Veteran.Served in France, Belgium and Germany toward the end of the war.Married Esther Smith April 12, 1947.He and Esther raised six children.
- Karen Areklet (134 KB)
Our eldest daughter Karen Marie Arekletborn 10 02 1976.
- John and Diane Hertsel Areklet's Family 1999 (262 KB)
Picture taken at our 25th Wedding Anniversary Party.John and Diane, John and Karen Lammi, John Areklet, Beth Areklet. Grandchild Matthew Lammi
- Mabel Mae Cox (204 KB)
Young Mabel around 1918 before she married Otis LHertsel
- Beth Anne Areklet (139 KB)
Our middle child, Beth Anne ArekletBorn 6 13 1978
- James Monroe and Sabina E Lehman Smith Family (179 KB)
Mae, James Monroe, Raliegh, Sabina Lehman Smith, Myrtle, Ratio "Ted", Russell, Harley, Dorl, Claude A, and Bazel Smith.Pictures taken about 1917.
- John Robert Areklet (101 KB)
Our youngest child and only son John Robert Areklet.Born 3 15 1982.
- Otis L Hertsel and Dorl P Smith as young men. (33 KB)
Otis L Hertsel and Dorl P Smith were friends, attended school together.Grandfathers of Diane L Hertsel-Areklet
- Cornelius Goossen (23 KB)
Cornelius Goossen as a young man.Picture was taken in Belgium before his move to the United States.Picture was probably taken about 1912.
- Adam and Lucinda Lehman Family (404 KB)
I do not know the names of the Lehman children except for Sabina E. (sitting to the right ofher Mother Lucinda Lehman).Adam and Lucinda,the parents are in the center of the picture.The picture was taken about 1880's.
- Russell and Orpha Tyler Hertsel Family around 1930 (103 KB)
Russell, Otis L., Merlin, Cleo, Orpha, and Ardith are among the family members.
- Otis S and Missouri (Taylor) Hertsel family (90 KB)
1916 Family Reunion Otis S and Missouri in the center.
- Daniel and Isabelle Mohn Family (83 KB)
Mary Jane Mohn oldest daughter of Daniel and Isabella Mohn.Picture taken around late 1890.
- Dorl and Ida Tyler-Smith (99 KB)
Dorl and Ida Tyler-Smith
- Theresa Goosen with Grandchildren (76 KB)
Theresa Goosen with Grandchildren John Areklet & Ken Goosen around 1948
- Ralph and Esther Hertsel Family Summer of 1981 (128 KB)
Back row: David Hertsel, Jerry Olszewski, Dan Hertsel, John Areklet. Middle: Betty Olszewski, (kneeling), Esther & Ralph Hertsel, Sharon & Johnny Smith, Diane Areklet, John Smith.Front: Cheri and Roberta Hertsel (holding Beth Areklet), Karen Areklet, & Brian Smith. Missing from pic Sally,Kim & Shane Baucom, Josh Olszewski & Gail Hertsel (she took the picture).
- Lena and Bertel Areklet &grandson John F Areklet (17 KB)
John Areklet at 3 years old with Bert and Lena Andrews-Areklet.1949
- Karen Areklet with her Grandmothers (182 KB)
Karen with her Grandmothers: Ida Holderman, Esther Hertsel, Anna Areklet and Mabel Hertsel 1977
- Bertel and Lena Areklet and first child Jane (56 KB)
Areklet family around 1900 to 1902.Jane was born in 1896.
- Ralph Hertsel and Great Grandson Matthew J Lammi (237 KB)
Matthew Lammi with his Great Grandfather Ralph LeRoy Hertsel.The picture was taken the end of June 1999.This is the last picture taken of Ralph Hertsel as he died August 5, 1999.T
- Esther Marie Smith around 1945 (115 KB)
Esther Marie Smith, Diane Hertsel-Areklet's Mother, as a young woman.This was taken shortly before her marriage to Ralph L Hertsel
- Teresa Peerlings Goossen as a young woman (243 KB)
Teresa Peerlings Goosen as a young woman.