Hills:Information about Henry Hill, Sr
Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals | |Sources
Henry Hill, Sr (b. 1764, d. 23 Sep 1856)Henry Hill, Sr was born 1764 in Granville Co., NC, and died 23 Sep 1856 in Somerville, Morgan, Al.He married Sarah E. Cox.
Notes for Henry Hill, Sr:
This family line I give credit to Susan Lloyd and Sharon Hill. I The majority of the work they did and shared with me. If you wish to contact them email me and I will put you in touch with them. HENRY HILL, SR. was born abt 1764 in Granville Co., NC He married SARAH E. COX who was born abt 1765 in SC. Their children were:
1. Rebecca b abt 1790 NC; M Henry L McCullough
2. Allen G. b abt 1792 NC; D bef 1850 Shelby, Ar.; M abt 1806 SC Liddy ?
3. Alfred b abt 1795 Tn.; D bef 1854 Ar.; M abt 1818 Tn. Elizabeth ?
4. James H b abt 1796 NC; D bef 1856 Hamilton, Tn.; M Sarah H. ?
5. Henry, Jr. (see below)
6. Lucinda Lavina b abt 1804 SC; D abt 1865 Morgan Co., Al.; M Feb 18, 1822 Somerville, Morgan, Al. James O. Rutledge
7. Sarah b abt 1805; M May 7, 1823 Morgan Co., Al. George Rutledge
Henry's census records:
• 1800 Greenville Co., SC
• 1810 Greenville Co., SC
• 1830 Morgan Co., Al.
• 1840 Morgan Co., Al.
• 1850 Somerville Dist., Morgan, Al.
• 1860 Valhermoso, Eastern Div., Morgan, Al. (Sarah with dau. Lucinda Rutledge)
Henry died Sept 23, 1856 in Somerville, Morgan, Al. Administration to his estate was Oct 12, 1854. Sarah died Jan 28, 1866 in Valahermoso, Morgan, Al. Administration to her estate was Jan 15, 1867.
HENRY HILL, JR. was born abt 1803 in Greenville Co., SC. He married May 9, 1825 in Decatur, Morgan, Al. CHARITY HARRIETT AUSTIN. Their children were all born in Morgan Co., Al.:
1. John Charles (see below)
2. Allen Monroe b abt 1829; M July 29, 1852 Magnolia, Columbia, Ar. Elizabeth ?
3. George Washington b June 22, 1830; D May 15, 1913 Oden, Montgomery, Ar.; Buried Brushy Creek Cemetery; M abt 1850 Franklin Co., Tn. Louisa Jane Tackett
4. Nancy Jane b abt 1835
5. Richard Henderson b abt 1836; D abt 1892 Mt. Vernon, Franklin, Tx.; M abt 1856 Caroline ?
6. Wm. Green b abt 1838; D abt 1870 Titus Co., Tx.
7. Mary Elizabeth Francis b abt 1840; D June 30, 1920 Avant, Montgomery, Ar.; Buried Avant Cemetery; M #1 ? Burke #2 James Henry Meeks
Census records of Henry:
• 1830 Morgan Co., Al.
• 1850 Terre Noir Twp, Clark Co., Ar.
• 1860 Mt Vernon, Lonestar Twp., Titus, Tx.
• 1870 Mt. Pleasant, Titus, Tx.
Henry died abt 1870 in Titus Co., Tx.
JOHN CHARLES HILL was born Jan 4, 1826 in Valahermoso, Morgan, Al. He married June 28, 1857 in Magnolia, Columbia, Ar. SUSAN ELIZABETH HILL. Their children were:
1. Andrew Thomas (see below)
2. Sarah Francis b Feb 26, 1866 Magnolia, Columbia, Ar.; D Oct 19, 1949 Seminole Co., Seminole; Buried Maple Grove Cemetery; M May 28, 1889 Mt Ida, Montgomery, Ar. george Alvin Spencer
3. John James b Jan 4, 1868 Magnolia, Columbia, Ar.; May 29, 1949 Norman, Cleveland, Ok.; Buried Ferguson Cemetery; M Jan 4, 1898 Mt. Ida, Montgomery, Ar. Melissa Tennessee McClure
4. Charles Albert b Mar 26, 1870 Magnolia, Columbia, Ar.; Oct 19, 1949 Wetumka, Hughes, Ok.; Buried Wetumka Cemetery; M Aug 27, 1893 Mt. Ida, Montgomery, Ar. Amanda Emeline Jackson
5. Perry Jackson b Apr 16, 1872 Magnolia, Columbia, Ar.; D July 3, 1930 Royal, Garland, Ar.; M Dec 9, 1894 Avant, Montgomery, Ar. Sarah Leitha Avant
6. Mary Susan b Mar 29, 1877 Oden, Montgomery, Ar.; D May 15, 1962 Seminole, Seminole, Ok.; Buried Maple Grove Cemetery; M Jan 11, 1896 Mt. Ida, Montgomery, Ar. David D. Friar
John served with the Confederate 2nd Ar. Cav Reg Co C. He served from Mar 1862 to Apr 1865. He filed for pension July 12, 1901. Census records for John:
• 1860 Georgia Twp., Columbia, Ar.
• 1870 Georgia Twp., Columbia, Ar.
• 1880 Polk Twp., Montgomery, Ar.
Susan died sometime be for 1900 in Oden, Montgomery, Ar. and is buried in Brushy Creek Cemetery. John died Sept. 26, 1905 in Cedar Glades, Montgomery, Ar. and is buried in Avant Cemetery.
ANDREW THOMAS HILL was born Sept 26, 1858 in Cotton Valley, Bossien Parish, La. H married Nov 22, 1882 in Mt. Ida, Montgomery, Ar. SUSAN MELISSA LOYD. Susan was born May 1864 in Ga. Their children were:
1. Charles F b Nov 1883 Ar.; M abt 1907 Ar. Emma L. ?
2. Amanda Caldonia b July 1885 Ar.; M Dec 4, 1912 Mt. Ida, Montgomery, Ar. James Thomas Amerson
3. John Henry b Nov 1888 Ar.; M Oct 28, 1909 Mt. Ida, Montgomery, Ar. Ada Kimbrough
4. Lucy Jane Emeline b May 17, 1890 Mt. Ida, Montgomery, Ar.; M Feb 12, 1905, Montgomery Co., Ar.; Arthur Monteer Johnson (See Johnson Family)
5. Katherine Durcella b Feb 1893, Ar.; M Dec 4, 1911 Mt. Ida, Montgomery, Ar. Guy Leonard
6. Nora Ellen b July 1895 Oden, Montgomery, Ar.; M Sept 20, 1913 Mt. Ida, Montgomery, Ar. Richard Eliza Campbell
7. Dehlia Francis b Dec 1897 Oden, Montgomery, Ar.; D abt 1940 Oden, Montgomery, Ar.; Buried Brushy Creek Cemetery; M Gaither Cradock
8. Thomas Earl b Dec 2, 1899 Oden, Montgomery, Ar.; D Feb 17, 1963; M Sept 18, 1924 Ft. Smith, Sebastian, Ar. Bessie Marie Amerson
9. Malisa Pansy b abt 1902 Oden, Montgomery, Ar.; D abt 1914; Buried Pickens Cemetery; M ? Holly
10. Winnie Inez b Feb 16, 1906 Oden, Montgomery, Ar.; D abt 1989 Broken Arrow, Tulsa, Ok.; M abt 1925 Ora Braggs
June 11, 1911 Andrew was ordained to preach the gospel. Census records for Andrew:
• 1900 Polk Twp., Montgomery, Ar.
Andrew died Jan 4, 1923 and is buried in the Pickens Cemetery.
this list is more correctas to all the children of Henry hill Sr
Census and deed records of Pendleton Dist., SC, Franklin Co., TN and Morgan Co., AL, plus probate records after his death, account for the majority of the information on Henry Hill, brother of Jonas Hill. My thanks to the many descendants of Henry Hill who made this data available.
Note: In order to save space, county/state references are initialized after the first reference (in most instances). For example, FCT = Franklin Co., TN, MCAL = Morgan Co., AL, etc.
1772Henry Hill's date of birth is unknown and complicated by conflicting census records. Compiler believes that 1772, the date shown in the 1850 census of Morgan Co., AL, is probably the most realistic date, +/- a year. He and Sarah Cox could have been married around 1789-1790, with their first child born around 1790 when he and Sarah would have been 18 to 19 years of age (assuming they were b/1771-72). As a younger brother of Jonas, he does not appear in probate records until 1796 and lived 14 years longer than Jonas. He would also have been too young for Rev. War service, which would account for the fact that no records have been found of such service. If he had been born in 1764, as some speculate, he would have probably joined at the same time brother Jonas did (1781). Also, if Henry were born about 1772, his parents may have moved to Surry County, NC by that time.
c1790Henry & Sarah Hill's first child, Rebecca was born about 1790, +/- a year in either Surry Co., NC or Pendleton County, SC. She married Henry L. McCullough about 1809. Nothing else is known of Rebecca.
c1792Allen G. Hill (s/o Henry & Sarah Hill) was born about 1792 in Pendleton County, SC; married Liddy/Lydia (--?--) about 1806 (PCSC? or FCT?) and died, some descendants say, around 1828 in Shelby County, AL. Children: Isaiah William b/c1807 FCT, m/1831 SC AL to Susan Alpine; Mary b/c1808 FCT, d/bef 1874 , m/Richard Williams; Louisa b/c1810 FCT, m/1832 MCAL to Joseph W. Ryan; Henry J. (Jonas? or James?) b/1814 FCT, m/c1836 MCAL to Emily (--?--); Elizabeth b/1818 MCAL, m/c1834 MCAR to Perry H. Lee; Allen G. Jr. b/1828 MC AL, d/1915 Bibb Co., AL, m1849 SCAL to Margaret Ann Field; Sarah m/Woford Gilly.
1795Henry Hill and Isaac Hill witnessed a deed transaction when Jonas Hill bought land on the Keowee River from (unknown). - Pendleton Deeds 1790-1806
c1795Alfred Hill (s/o Henry & Sarah Hill) was b/c1795 in Pendleton Co., SC, d/Dec 1854 Phillip Co., AL, m1/c1818 FCT to Elizabeth (--?--) . Children: Thomas Jefferson b/c1820 FCT, m/c1841 MCAL to Elizabeth (--?--); William b/c1822 FCT or MCAL, m/Laura (--?--). Alfred m2/Martha Horton. Children: Alfred W. b/1832 MCAL, m/Elizabeth (--?--); Rufus K. b/1834 MCAL, m/c1853 to Joanna (--?--); Charles H. b/c1835 MCAL; John J. b/1839 MCAL, m/c1867 Phillips Co., AR to Mattie J. (--?--); Albert b/1842 MCAL; Susannah b/1845 MCAL, m/c1867 Yell Co., AR to Thomas Choate Jr.; Thomas Jefferson b/c1820.
1796James H. (Henry?) b/c1795/96 Pendleton Co., SC, d/1856 Hamilton? Co., TN, m/c1816 FCT? to Sarah Wagner (d/o George Wagner). Children: Nancy b/c1818 FCT, m/1837 MCAL to John Guyer; Mary b/c1825-27 FCT, m/1841 FCT to John Q. Royalty; Sarah b/c1828 MCAL to John Campbell; Martha J. b/1832 MCAL, m/1850 MCAL to Joseph W. Bell.
1796Henry Hill sold a slave named Hester to Benjamin Barton. Witnessed by Jonas Hill & William Marchbanks. 26 Jan 1796 - Pendleton Deeds 1790-1806, Bk C-D, p. 191
1799Henry Hill purchased 50 ac on North side of Keowee River from John Thomas of Richland Co., SC. Witnessed by J. McLemore & Robert McAfee. 26 Nov 1799 - Pendleton Deeds 1790-1806, Bk E, pp. 180-181
1799Henry Hill bought 130 ac on East side of Keowee River (including mouth of Sudder Creek) from David Clark. Witnessed by Jonas Hill & James McKinney. 25 Mar 1799 - Pendleton Deeds 1790-1806, Bk C-D, p. 475
1799Henry Hill received a land grant of 498 acres on Cedar Hill Creek. - Pendleton Deeds 1790-1806
1799Henry Hill and Isaac Hill were witnesses when Jonas Hill received a land grant of 498 acres on Keowee River. 2 Dec 1799 - Pendleton Deeds 1790-1806
1800Henry Hill age 26-45, Sarah Hill age 26-45, 3 males 0-10, 1 male 10-16, 1 male 16-25, 1 male 45+, 1 female 0-10, 1 female 10-15, 1 female 45+. It is assumed that the male and female, ages 45+, were probably Sarah's parents. [1800 Census, Pendleton Dist., SC]
1802Henry Hill received a land grant for 554 acres on the Keowee River. 1 Feb 1802.
1802Henry Hill bought 408 acres on Crow Creek, Franklkin Co., TN from Shadrack Noland for $579. Witnessed by Wm McFarland, John Grisham, Jr., and Abraham Harges. 2 Jan 1802 - Pendleton Deeds 1790-1806, Bk G, pp. 140-141
c1803Henry Hill Jr. (s/o Henry & Sarah Hill) b/c1803 Pendleton Dist., SC, d/1870 Titus Co., TX, m/1825 to Charity Harriett Austin. Children: John Charles b/1826 MCAL, d/1905 Montgomery Co., AR, m/1857 Columbia Co., AR to Susan E. (--?--); Allen Monroe b/c1829 MCAL m/1852 AR to Elizabeth Lovey Gunn; George W. b/1830 MCAL, d/1913 MCAR, m/c1850 AR to Louisa Jane Tackett; Benjamin b/c1833 MCAL, m/c1860 to Mary Lena Tackett; Nancy Jane b/c1835 MCAL; Richard Henderson b/c1836, d/c1892 Franklin Co., Texas (not TN), m/c1856 to Caroline E. Hill b/1843; William Green b/c1838 MCAL, d/1870? Titus Co., TX; Mary E. Francis b/1847 MS?, d/1920 MCAR, m/c1868 to Blake Burke?.
1804Lucinda Lavina C. (d/o Henry & Sarah Hill) b/1804 Pendleton Dist., SC d/1865 MCAL, m/1822 MCAL to James Overton Rutledge. Children: Mary b/c1824 MCAL, m/1838 MCAL to Ezekiel Burns; John Overton Jr. b/1826 MCAL d/1862 St Louis Co., MO, m/Sarah E. Lawrence; Alfred b/1826 MCAL, m/1845 MCAL to Jane Harrison; Mourning Elizabeth b/1828 MCAL, m/1854 to Thomas J. Dunkin; Henry Wilborn Rutledge b/1835 MCAL; Elias Seborn b/1836 MCAL; Minerva Lucinda b/1837 MCAL. Note on James Overton Rutledge, Sr. - he was probably a son or grandson of Henry M. Rutledge, who was executor of the last will and testament of Gov. Edward Rutledge of SC, who owned a large tract of land, mostly in Franklin Co., TN. As executor, Mr. Rutledge sold this tract, consisting of 73,000 acres, to Col. Thomas Shubrick for $535 (English currency). As an individual, he then purchased the whole tract back from Col. Shubrick, and the deeds of these conveyances are the first that appear on the records of Franklin County. The Rutledge lands lie mostly in Districts 8 and 9 of FCT.
c1805Sarah (d/o Henry & Sarah Hill) b/c1805 Pendleton Dist., SC, m/1823 (Franklin Co., TN or Morgan Co., AR), divorced George W. Rutledge in 1823 and later married William L. Galloway. Note on George W. Rutledge - he was also probably a son or grandson of Henry M. Rutledge (see above).
c1806John Thomas (s/o Henry & Sarah Hill), b/c1806 Pendleton Dist., SC or Franklin Co., TN, d/1880/81 Tarrant Co., TX, m/1829 Lawrence Co., AL to Nancy McCain b/1806 Blount Co., TN, d/1866 TCTX. Children: William W. b/1830 LCAL, m/c1856 TX to Sarah J. (--?--); John Henry b/1836 LCAL, d/1885 TCTX, m/1858 Grayson Co., TX to Mary Jane Patterson; Eli Allen b/1839 LCAL, d/1886 TCTX, m/1866 to Amanda Josephine Neace; Sarah Jane b/1843 Tippah Co., MS, d/1913 TCTX, m/1865 Denton Co., TX to Thomas Allen Nease; Lucinda Louisana b/1845 TCMS, d/1877 DCTX, m/1860 to Robert Wright.
1810It is fairly certain that Henry & Sarah Hill and their family had settled in Franklin Co., TN by the time the 1810 census rolled around. Unfortunately, that census is not available.
1811Henry Hill of Franklin Co., TN sold to John Gresham (Jr.?) of Pendleton, land on the East side fo Keowee River, 318 acres to corner of land granted Henry Hill in 1802.
1812Nancy Jane (d/o Henry & Sarah Hill) b/1812 FCT, d/1842 MCAL, m/1830 MCAL to Elijah Brown Nunn. Children: Sarah Elizabeth b/1832 MCAL, m/1865 MCAL to William H. Chaney; William Henry b/1833 MCAL, d/1910 MCAL?, m/1863 MCAL to Lucinda Cooper; Mary Lucinda b/1837 MCAL, m/1857 MCAL to James Y. Morris; Morning Elizabeth b/1836 MCAL, d/1903 Hunt Co., TX, m/1856 MCAL to John Roan; Stuart W. b/c1840 MCAL; Nancy b/1842 MCAL; Henry W. b/1844 MCAL, m/1895 MCAL to E. S. Richardson (Mrs).
1812Tax List, Franklin Co., TN. Lived near brother Jonas and son Allen
1815William Farris to Henry Hill, 100 acres. Witness Jonas Hill & Samuel McClelland).
1818James Davis to Henry Hill, 165 acres near Wm. Hendon and Leroy May (Witness: Wm. Hendon, James Hill, James (Jonas?) Hill. Note: one website shows that Leroy May's daughter, Mary E. May, married 1845 in FCT to George W. Wagner, s/o Solomon Wagner and Dicey Russell.
1818Thomas Briscoe (see Briscoe Connection) deeded 30 acres on Waggoner's Creek to Barton Newman, both of Franklin Co., TN. Thomas stated that he received the 30 acres from Henry Hill.
1818Henry Hill and Thomas Briscoe are delegated by Boiling Fork Church to go and talk with Sister King. This church is located on the Boiling Fork of the Elk River, between present-day Cowan and Winchester, FCT.
1819Henry Hill to William Hendon, 165 acres (Witness: E. B. Hill, Lemuel Hendon and John McQueen). Note: E. B. Hill is thought to have been Edward Blackmore Hill b/1797, s/o John Hill b/c1750 VA d/1802 NC and Jane Kenan b/c1755 NC d/1819 FCT. Edward B. Hill m/Nancy C. John.
1820Henry Hill (Sr.?) (021101-11001) Franklin Co., TN Census (b/bef 1775)
1821Richard Farris, Sr. to Henry Hill, 150 acres, Elk River near David Ford (Witness: John Garner, F. Farris)
1825Henry Hill bought 168 acres in Morgan Co., AL from John Boardman, attorney for Hanori Fournier of PA for $250 (Witness: Wm. G. Dossey and George W. Hale) Deed of Conveyance, Morgan Co., AL, Deed Bk A, pp 144-146.
1829James Lewis to Henry Hill, 200 acres (Witness: John & Thomas S. Gray).
1830Henry Hill (01101001-0111001) Franklin Co., TN Census. Shows his birth (1770-80) and wife (1780-90).
1832Henry Hill, Morgan Co., AL, stated he was a brother of Jonas Hill of Franklin Co., TN in Jonas' Rev. War Pension files. It appears that Henry & Sarah Hill and family moved to Morgan Co., AL between 1830 and 1832.
1834Henry Hill bought 16.06 acres (Township 8, South Range 1, East Section 6) West of Cherokee boundary and entire fraction 16.06 acres Number of Certificate 7096.
1838Henry Hill mentioned in deeds involving 200 acres near Solomon Banks. Was this in Morgan Co., AL or Franklin Co., TN?
1840Henry Hill, Morgan Co., AL Census. Shows his birth (1770-80) and wife (b/1770-80), 1 son under 5, 1 daughter age 5-10, and one daughter age 30-40.
1843Henry Hill Sr., Henry Hill Jr., E. J. Riley & James M. Hill trade slaves.
1850Henry Hill, Morgan Co., AL Census age 78 (b/1772 NC) and wife Sarah age 78 (b/1772 SC)
1854Henry Hill died 13 Sep 1854, Summerville, Morgan Co., AL
1860Morgan Co., AL Census shows Sarah Hill 96 (88?) SC, and daughter Lucinda Rutledge age 56 SC. Note: Sarah's age doesn't make sense. Is it possible that census records were difficult to transcribe and a faded 88 was interpreted as 96? Just speculation.
NOTE: If anyone has any additions or corrections, or any suggestions for improving the above chronology on Henry Hill, PLEASE let me know by email.
Children of Henry Hill, Sr and Sarah E. Cox are:
- +Henry HILL, Jr, b. 1803, Greenville Co., SC, d. 1870, Titus Co., Tx.
- Rebecca b HiLL, b. 1790, NC.
- Allen G Hill, b. 1792, NC, d. Bef. 1850, Shelby, Ar.
- Alfred B Hill, b. 1795, TN, d. Bef. 1854.
- James H HILL, b. 1796, NC, d. Bef. 1856, Hamilton, Tn.
- Lucinda Lavina Hill, b. 1804, SC, d. 1865, Morgan Co., Al.
- Sarah HILL, b. 1805, NC.
- John Thomas HILL, b. 1806, d. 1880, Mt. Gilead Cemetery, Tarrant, Texas.
- Nancy Jane HILL, b. 1812, North Carolina, d. Bef. 1854, Morgan County, Alabama.