The History ofNicholas County, West Virginia
By William Griffee Brown, 1954
Thomas Hughes, a Revolutionary soldier, came from PrinceWilliam County, Virginia, soon after the Revolution, and aided in building thefort at the mouth of Hughes Creek, named for him. He built the first cabin on Laurel Creek, near where old BethelChurch once stood. Here he had ahunting camp. He died at the fort atHughes Creek in 1794.
Edward Hughes, son of Thomas, made the first improvement onthe McCutcheon farm at Cross Lanes. Hehad a large family and patented large tracts of land in different parts of theCounty. One tract of 1,000 acres layalong Gauley River above and below Hughes Ferry. William McClung of Greenbrier was granted a tract of 43,000 acreson the opposite side of the river and the closing line from Dogwood Gap to thebeginning corner near the ferry was protracted, but found to actually cross theriver. A famous lawsuit followedbetween McClung and Hughes, which ended after about fifteen years when theSupreme Court of Virginia held the river should be the dividing line. His two sons were William and Madison. Madison owned and operated the ferry all hislife. His sons Mathew and Virgil and their numerous descendants are well known.
Judge Guthrie, formerly of Kanawha Circuit Court, was agrandson of Edward Hughes.
Bishop Edwin Holt Hughes and his brother, Bishop MattHughes, are relatives of the Hughes family in the County.