| ||Notes for 1021 Jedediah Cluff:|
The Genealogy of the Descendants of JOHN CLOUGH of Salisbury, Massachusetts, Published by THE JOHN CLOUGH GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY, Inc.. 1952. Eva Clough Spear, Editor, 333-335:
1021--JEDEDIAH (Samuel, Samuel, Samuel, Samuel, John), Baptized at Arundel May 9, 1773 (Arundel Ch. rec.) died between 1836 and 1850; married first, July 4, 1796, in Lyman, by Elder Simon Locke, Hannah Weymouth,
daughter of Stephen and Olive (Earl) Weymouth of Waterboro, born between 1781 and 1788; died about 1827. He probably married, second, Mrs. Elizabeth Emmons, widow of Joseph Emmons of Lyman, November 24, 1829, born April 9, 1782, died February 21, 1871. Records show that he was variously listed as "Jedd., Jar., Jere., Jeremiah and Jedeariah." In Census of Waterboro 1860 and 1870 Betsey Cluff was a member of Thomas--7's household. In her old Bible in her handwriting she tells of the death of her son, Benjamin, son of her second husband, and says that she was nine years younger than her husband.
In April 1796 Jedediah Cluff, "Joiner," of Alfred, sued Matthew Kessick of Biddeford for failure to pay a note.
Son Stephen was born in Waterboro and son Asa in Alfred. In 1802 he bought of his father, Samuel, 90 acres on Dearing (old spelling) Ridge, Waterboro, near the holdings of Nathaniel Knight and John Weymouth who married his sisters, Hannah and Susannah. In 1785 the Proprietors' Map of Waterboro shows two large purchases by Benjamin Bartlett and Stephen Weymouth. Bartlett's land included the pond and inlet brook named for him. Weymouth's farm of 173 acres bounded this on the the north. Out of these two areas came the Cluff farm and that of Nathaniel Knight. Deeds of Cluffs and Knights give their back boundary as Bartlett's brook.
Thus a Cluff-Weymouth-Knight colony was formed on the eastern Ridge, adjoining the estates of the first settler, William Dearing 1770, whose descendant, Noel Deering, lawyer, of Milton, Mass., has furnished much information concerning the inhabitants of the Ridge from his family papers.Practically self-supporting, the Ridge people had their own school and later attended the (Advent) Bullockite Church in Hollis. The Nathaniel Knight house is still standing, as is one Weymouth house successively owned by John and Edmund Weymouth and Jeremiah Cluff who married John Weymouth's daughter, Rebecca, opposite the Clough-Weymouth cemetery. The last house standing on the Cluff farm burned about 1890 when in possession of Jedediah's grandson, Nathan, who then bought the original Stephen Cluff property (after Stephen left became Leonard Weymouth's) on the Lyman line. (See map.) The projection of diamond-shaped Lyman, at this point on the Ridge, between Hollis and Waterboro entails a careful study of bounds and vital records, for here one can walk through the boundary lines of three towns in
five minutes. In 1856 Jedediah's son, Samuel lived in one house on the Cluff farm and his brother, Thomas in the other. It is not known which house was the older, but traces of both can still be seen.
Census of Waterboro, 1800. (Only Cluff in Waterboro.):
JEDEDIAH CLIFFMales1 - 1--1810M. 3 1-1--
Females 1 - 1--F. 11--1
Therefore, in 1800, Jedediah had one son and one daughter. In 1810, he had four sons and two daughters.